PDA

View Full Version : 302mm in situ

Flatout Phil
Monday 26th October 2009, 15:37
Have run around for a couple of days with the new 302mm set-up. It does seem better - not a vast transformation but I would say there is a noticeably reduced amount of pedal pressure to slow the car. I get the impression that it pulls up a little quicker too. For the money (£170) and the effort, about an hour and a half fitting time, a worthwhile upgrade.
Pictured sat in the spare Perfos, not the proper Volans, and the fit is pretty snug in the rims.

leet5r
Monday 26th October 2009, 16:07
Have run around for a couple of days with the new 302mm set-up. It does seem better - not a vast transformation but I would say there is a noticeably reduced amount of pedal pressure to slow the car. I get the impression that it pulls up a little quicker too. For the money (£170) and the effort, about an hour and a half fitting time, a worthwhile upgrade.
Pictured sat in the spare Perfos, not the proper Volans, and the fit is pretty snug in the rims.

did you just use standard disks and pads m8

irf
Monday 26th October 2009, 16:52
as with a lot of things, if you replace old with new you'll probably notice a difference. If you had just put in new 280mm discs and pads you'd notice a difference. The only real difference you should notice, like for like is an increased resistance to fade and you need to go for hard drive for that and know at what kind of point the old brakes would have faded.

Flatout Phil
Monday 26th October 2009, 16:58
did you just use standard disks and pads m8

Yes, just the standard (302mm) discs and pads. The old set were fine - I have owned 3 850s with 280mm, but a bit marginal on the fade front. The new ones seem better - but still think an AP conversion is the thing (if I win a small fortune : - ))

Flatout Phil
Monday 26th October 2009, 20:25
as with a lot of things, if you replace old with new you'll probably notice a difference. If you had just put in new 280mm discs and pads you'd notice a difference. The only real difference you should notice, like for like is an increased resistance to fade and you need to go for hard drive for that and know at what kind of point the old brakes would have faded.

I think that is most likely the case.

woody
Wednesday 28th October 2009, 16:38
I did mine around 2 weeks ago and have only done 100 miles since. As I can't get a flight on Friday, I'll be stretching her legs from St Andrews to Chippenham! They do feel better, but it was the Brake Fade that used to annoy me most, so I'll have to wait and see how they do.

woody
Friday 30th October 2009, 09:18
Had an awesome run from St Andrews to Chippenham last night. Brakes are much improved. I can hang on them for a greater period of time with no hint of any fade. Very glad I made the jump. Thanks to Rufe and all who advised.