PDA

View Full Version : Deliberating over S60 D5

timbo_1975
Saturday 24th October 2009, 13:06
Right guys, looking to get rid of my current daily hack, and seriously considering the s60 D5, against a BMW 3 series 330d, somewhere around the 2005 age.

Based on cost, the D5 is a bargain against the beemer, and i would like to keep my garage all volvo, but the 3 series i know is the better car!

Am looking for some subjective comments from those of you who are running S60's day to day, and what you think overall. Has it been as good as you hoped, has it landed you with an unexpected big bill, and other general niggles (apart from blown intercoolers and lousy turning circle!)

My prioroties are a comfortable mile eater, plenty of grunt, well built, and handles well but supple ride which the D5 would appear to offer.

Thoughts please!! TIA tim.

p fandango
Saturday 24th October 2009, 17:53
i'm very impressed with my D5. I fell lucky & got a bargain, & so far so good haven't had and major problems (except running out of diesel 3 times lol). The bodywork on Bonny isn't exactly brilliant & can tell she's had some bodged work on the rear passenger door, but the interior is the most comfy Volvo i have ever been in & has the bonus of a bluetooth phone kit fitted as well. The drivers seat is showing a quite a bit of wear but she has done 158k miles. The trip computer is currently showing 49.2mpg after a fortnight of city communting. I am having issues with the cruise control because of the clutch switch collecting oil from a minor weep from the master cylinder

overal i'm very happy & with Bonny & alot better than the Mondeo's/Laguna's etc i was looking at instead

v70torslanda
Saturday 24th October 2009, 23:53
Nearly four years after buying my D5 I still don't want anything else. buy manual or geartronic, not the 5 speed auto. Get DSTC not STC. Do not ask me how I know this . . .

Check that everything works, that the idle is smooth, that its history is up to date.

It shouldn't rattle or smoke. Check that all the warning lights including the seat belt chime are working correctly. Clocks are a common failure and cost a ££££load of dosh.

330d is a poorly built, mass produced, built down to a price badge IMHO. Regular failures include front wishbones which can cost 250-300 or so to sort out using decent quality Lemforder parts. Interiors squeak and rattle and high milers really show the wear & tear.

Ride is rock hard and as for their tendencies to swap ends in the wet . . .

Liddo
Monday 26th October 2009, 10:58
My two penneth.

I love my S60 D5 SE. At worst, Im getting 650 to a tank, and best Ive had 800.
The stereo is superb as usual, as it the leather, and the heated seats. The bodywork is still spot on after 6 yrs. It feels quite quick for a 163 bhp model, but a remap to 200bhp is only £230, so that will be getting done soon ;)

Niggles

REALLY crap turning circle, and it sometimes makes you look a £££££ when trying to park or turn.
I personally think the ride is a little too hard, but only a little.
Rear view is poor, and parking sensors are a must (i dont have em)
The steering wheel nearly touches my legs, which i think is weird, cos im slim, and sometimes my hands hit my legs when turning (weird i know)
Lack of lil storage cubbys etc etc

My mates got a 330d Sport with 130k on it, and it still looks a feels lovely. Yes, he has had a set of front wishbones, but the mechanic said that speed humps are making these fail 10x more quickly. Also rear springs are prone to going pop.

Personally, Id have the BM for general good looks and quality and feel, but the Volvo is MILES more economical and probably cheaper to maintain long term.

lance
Monday 26th October 2009, 12:17
I tried a 330 D saloon and touring plus a 530 D Touring .
330 D only had part service history and looked like it had dodgy paint work and felt a bit unremarkable, 530D felt the best suprising given its extra size and weight but it turned out it had been clocked not 89k no service book and aprox a true 200K! I then drove a 330 D it had warped brakes and no service book again, so I gave up looking at these cars all the dealers were dodgy/previous owners. I drove DPAs chipped V70 D5 manual and have to honestly say it felt far quicker and the only reason I didnt or wouldnt buy one is I fancied a change either RWD or 4wd also I had to swing into the middle of the road to get my previous p2 on the drive and this wasnt funny at rush hour due to crap turning circle) In the end I decided bollo"ks to economy and bought an Audi S4 avant, which I might have to sell when my 9 points come to effect my insurance next May. Ive already rulled a V70 out due to turning circle and will probably avoid the bmer unless Im 100% happy maybe I might look at a V50 D5 or an A4 2.5 TDI Quattro or an A6 allroad only time will tell. If turning circle and RWD isnt important the S60 D5 I would say chipped will be quicker and a safer used buy.

KPB
Monday 2nd November 2009, 13:39
I've never driven a D5 so I can't compare the characteristics directly, but after my (dreadful) S60 T5 I turned to the dark side and bought a 530d.

The 3.0d lump is a work of art although it does prefer revs when compared to, say, a VW PD lump. The torque curve is much more progressive and even a remap doesnt really resolve this.

As an engine it was ahead of its time BUT they do have some known weakpoints which even the most ardent BMW fan fears. Firstly, injectors on older models, secondly turbo failure caused by oil starvation (due to poor crank case breather design) and thirdly the dreaded 'swirl flap' issue on autos.

www.bmwland.co.uk is an excellent source of information on these issues.

I love mine - power, economy and smoothness is excellent - but I must admit when they go wrong, they can go wrong big time. Mine hasnt yet but I plan to ship it on before it gets chance to do so. That said, the E39 is by some distance the best car i've ever owned. Shame the missus hates it!

timbo_1975
Monday 2nd November 2009, 19:38
Well...the deliberation has been further clouded following a test drive in a Octavia vRS 2.0TFSI. I have to say, superbly built, and one-helluva capable & rapid sleeper!

Afew owners say they get 35+ mpg out of them too!

Having a 2nd go in a D5 at weekend, so will report..!