PDA

View Full Version : Climate control Prob!

lighterfuel
Wednesday 8th June 2005, 20:19
Hi all

I am a newbie here but thought i would ask. I have a 850 T5 1996 and the strangest thing is happening. When i first start the car and whack on the air con to its coldest point, it works fine for about 20 mins (somrtimes less) and then the air goes warmer, not hot, but not cold. Then when i accelerate hard, the cold air returns. This process goes on and on until i reach my destination. Then, on other days, and not so hot days, it works fine. The mornings on the way to work its always fine. This tends to happen (the problem) during the day and when its been a rather hot day.

When i bought the car, 1 year ago, the aircon was not working and Volvo repaired it and all was fine until a few weeks ago. Does it need re-gassing? I have it on all the time since i purchased the car (aircon).

your help would be greatly appreciated.

Lighterfuel

splatt
Wednesday 8th June 2005, 21:56
I would look to re gas, it needs doing every year or so depending on how you use it.
What did they do to repair it in the first place?

Viffer
Thursday 9th June 2005, 10:04
Seconded....sounds like a regas....

swordy21
Thursday 9th June 2005, 10:22
Mine does this as well. Regas is on the cards.

Babybadger
Thursday 9th June 2005, 13:12
Any idea how much to regas an aircon?

Mrsmopp
Thursday 9th June 2005, 13:14
Anywhere between £40 - £80 depending on who you use.

x

madness
Thursday 9th June 2005, 13:23
park the car tight against a wall , front end on. if the temp goes right up, probably the pressostat that lets gas past to the evaporator inside the car , and a common fault on all 850/v70 . can be tested before fitting to be 100%
i hasten to add

siamblue
Thursday 9th June 2005, 13:32
Take it to a independant get the aircon codes read if there are any and ask them to do a vaccuum test on it to see how much gas is in there and if it is holding the gas,
This was what was done to mine today at Braydons in North London.

lighterfuel
Friday 10th June 2005, 13:31
Many thanks boys, i appreciate the reply's. I will look in to what you suggest with the regassing. Im stunned however, that it needs regassing so soon in just a year, having said that, im not sure what Volvo did to the air con unit when i bought it to get it working, this may not have involved a regas then, so in theory, i dont know when it was last done!

love the site and i do have to say, i just love kicking down and watching MOST cars become a dot in the rear view mirror. It was TOP GEAR that brought my attention to T5's and i will never look back, awesome machine.

lighterfuel

(john)