PDA

View Full Version : Oh Burger here we go again.

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 23rd October 2009, 22:47
I got a nice new fuel tank sender from Rufe and had it put in, so I knew that Christine would show empty when she was empty and not when she was quarter full. Great I thought I'll nip up to Bristol to pay a visit to a wholesale place.

Mrs P.A. said she would drive as it's easier on her neck, whiplash in 1991 that has never been right since. So off we go, out of Weston on the Mud and up to the M5. She's running a bit lumpy, but no problem, we get 10 miles up the road to J20 and she loses power a sort of cough, and the revs drop back. So Mrs P.A. puts her foot down and all of a sudden nothing, no power, foot on the floor no nothing. So she pulled on to the hard shoulder and dropped the cow into neutral. Then she put her foot down and the revs climbed to 3000 and the cow seemed to be OK.

So a quick look around and then back on the road, she pulled away and then did the same again. Mrs P.A. kept her foot off the accelerator and we got up the hill. The fuel guage was showing just over a quarter full and as it was a new one we thought it should be right.

On the downward stretch to J19 Christine coughed again and lost revs, so the other half pulled her onto the hard shoulder again, not much fun in the rush hour on one of the worst sections of motorway in the country at the moment. This was where a 4X4 went of the M5 last Friday morning hit a pylon and the local plods closed the motorway for six hours, even though the 4X4 wasn't even on the motorway. We were going at nought miles an hour on the inside lane, with blood great artic coming down on us at what looked like 200 mph.

Jean pulled off and then stopped, did the same and we limped to J19 and pulled into the services to put some petrol in, hells bells I could see the bank account draining away as I put the petrol in the tank. I'm not doing that in a hurry again, 15 quid for a couple of gallons of petrol to a motorway filling station run by a licensed bandit.

Any way, we got to our destination, the road works on the Avon Bridge, again, meant all the traffic was doing 50 mph so we didn't need to put the foot down.

Did what we had to do and Jean said to me "You can drive", so after a quick trip to Burger King we headed back onto the M5 South, well we got off the slip road and joined the queue anyway.

After a high speed trip on the inside lane, when the traffic got moving, we were doing 45 mph while everyone else wasn't, we got over the Avon Bridge and on the four lane section that goes up the hill to Clevedon. I put my foot down and, and, and NOTHING, no revs no power. So I pulled over and stopped, took her out of gear and sat there for a minute or so, then revved her and she seemed OK, so I pulled out and accelerated up to 55 mph, now we were moving. I pulled out to pass a wagon and lost power, took my foot off and the power came back. So I managed to get in front of the wagon and pull in, doing 59 mph I sat in the inside lane, trying to pass cars going slower than us was a nightmare, I couldn't get any power so I had to let Christine slowly build up speed.

I was really surprised how many cars were plodding along at less than 50 mph in the middle lane, idiots.

We got back into Weston and I had to negotiate a roundabout on the main dual carriageway, as there was no way I could welly her I had to let the revs build up slowly. What do I get, a bloke in a Merc right up my towing hitch. He sat there and wouldn't pass. So I let the revs build and got up to 50 mph the speed limit, and I left him, cor I'm a speed fiend when I'm roused.

Any who, I got the cow home and she is now parked out the front again. On Monday she's off to the garage again. I have a feeling it's dirt in the fuel lines/filter or injectors. But then why would she run well for a few seconds after she has been stopped with the engine running, very odd.

Still I've come to expect the worst from her and she's not letting me down.

Porcine_Aviator
Tuesday 27th October 2009, 00:10
So I took her into the garage yesterday, this post being tomorrow and not the day I took her in if you know what I mean?

Anyway, they got a Bosch fault code reader on her and it looks like the front Lambda sensor is playing up. The readout says that the problem is the pre Cat sensor, I'm going to have to get it replaced. Why can't the things that go wrong be less than £200, hang on the fuel tank sender was less that that from Rufe, cheers Simon.

The oxygen readout is not quite right, but they say that this could be caused by the cars computer compensating to the lambda sensor being faulty.

I just hope that it's not going to take to long to put right.

PaulZX
Tuesday 27th October 2009, 00:14
good luck buddy.... :)

Al115
Tuesday 27th October 2009, 09:23
Is the lambda sensor really that expensive? I did both of mine on the T4 for less than that... Bosch parts as well. Hopefully it won't break the bank!

jez.w
Tuesday 27th October 2009, 18:04
Burn the car

Porcine_Aviator
Thursday 29th October 2009, 19:39
Burn the car

Can't do that, Christine and I have a love hate relationship, I'd love to get her working properly, and I hate it when she finds yet something else to go wrong. I'm not going to let the cow beat me. :doh:

Porcine_Aviator
Thursday 29th October 2009, 19:41
Is the lambda sensor really that expensive? I did both of mine on the T4 for less than that... Bosch parts as well. Hopefully it won't break the bank!

Had a quote and yes they are, but I have found a Bosch one that's the right one for a lot less, I'm just waiting for the post to deliver it, so that's going to be around the middle of next month at this rate.

jez.w
Friday 30th October 2009, 09:19
Can't do that, Christine and I have a love hate relationship, I'd love to get her working properly, and I hate it when she finds yet something else to go wrong. I'm not going to let the cow beat me. :doh:

I was only joking, but sometimes troublesome cars can get to you. I suppose you have done so much to your car now that you have got to see it through. It will be good in the end.

Good luck!!

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 30th October 2009, 13:07
I was only joking, but sometimes troublesome cars can get to you. I suppose you have done so much to your car now that you have got to see it through. It will be good in the end.

Good luck!!

:saint::saint::saint::saint: What more can I say. she's sitting outside with a petrol leak, I just hope a smoker doesn't walk by or we could see some fire works and it won't be November 5th.

I just wish the postal strikes were not happening my Lambda sensor is in the post.

Porcine_Aviator
Tuesday 3rd November 2009, 20:46
Weeee just been for a run down the M5 J21 to J22 to see if the new Lambda sensor was working. Christine is running really well, I don't believe it as Victor Meldrew would say.

I can still smell petrol, it could be the seal around the tank sensor. But I'll give her a few days to see how she's running.

Next thing is to get the LPG working again.

As I type this we are in the middle of a major hail storm with thunder and lighting and heavy rain as well.

Just had a look at the camera and it's wet outside :hihi:

Volvostorm
Tuesday 3rd November 2009, 21:59
Just had a look at the camera and it's wet outside :hihi:

Ever time I look at your cam its dark outside! lol

Porcine_Aviator
Wednesday 4th November 2009, 09:51
Ever time I look at your cam its dark outside! lol

Try having a look now it's 9:50am and it's still raining. :rolleyes:

Porcine_Aviator
Saturday 7th November 2009, 11:18
I knew it was to good to be true!!!!
Yesterday afternoon we went to Bristol to deliver some fabric, not the sort of thing we do normally, but Mrs PA wanted to drop into the Cash & Carry.

We got to J20 and you'll never guess what happened, the cow started to miss and lose power AGAIN. :firedevil

The revs didn't drop she just missed and lost power to the wheels. It's as if the computer is saying you're not going any faster than 60 mph and no you're not going to accelerate to pass anything.

So Monday she's going back to the garage and maybe they can find something else to change.

Last year it was MAF, the ETM, new fan, new temperature sender, new CAT, new plugs, new leads, new rear brakes, drums, discs shoes and pads, rear shocks. This year it's been a replacement gearbox and last week it was the front Lambda sensor and she's still not working.

This pile of Ford carp is starting to get to me, I'm now thinking of a trade in.

Porcine_Aviator
Tuesday 24th November 2009, 17:09
Christine is back at Shipham Volvo and could be there for a week or so. I went down to the guys who look after her normally and the say that they have no idea what's causing the problem.

So I drove her around in the hope that what ever it is that's causing her to cough, lose revs and die just when I'm turning right or in a single lane of road works, or a single track busy road.

She did it to me three times today, so I phoned up Shipham and booked her in this afternoon.

Lets hope they can find out what the problem is.

I can't sell her because she not running as she should, and I'm determined to get the problems sorted out.

Porcine_Aviator
Thursday 3rd December 2009, 11:25
Had a call from Shipham Volvo last night and they have found a circuit board that seems to be shorted out. The strange thing is that if they remove it the engine cuts out and won't run. It looks as if it's part of the LPG conversion and as it's an old one there are no parts for it.

So I have told them to remove the conversion and just get her running. Then I can look at getting a new one put on some time in the future. It's just one thing after another, am I glad that the 850 keeps going, but then it was built before Ford took over.

Enigma666
Thursday 3rd December 2009, 11:53
I had a similar thing on my C70 for a while...changed the MAF and away she flew, never dropped power again :) might be worth looking at as they can be had for a right bargain from Nads etc :)

Porcine_Aviator
Thursday 3rd December 2009, 13:57
I had a similar thing on my C70 for a while...changed the MAF and away she flew, never dropped power again :) might be worth looking at as they can be had for a right bargain from Nads etc :)

Christine has had MAF, ETM, Fan, thermostat, Cat, Lamba Sensor, Gearbox, Oil return pipe, new leads, new plugs in fact nearly everything replaced and shes still not working.

Still thanks for the thought. :)

Porcine_Aviator
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 10:17
Weeeee great news Christine is fixed, well for the time being. Just had a call from Shipham Volvo to say they had found the problem, and Mrs PA is sitting in her armchair with big smile on her face, she said when the current problem first popped up it was dirty fuel lines.

It seems that there was some gunk in the fuel pump and also in the pump intake. So when the engine was under load the petrol was dragging it into the intake and it was blocking the fuel line and cutting off the flow.

Mrs PA had been saying this all along and I did mention this to the garage that did the change of fuel level sender in the tank. They put a fuel conditioner through the lines, but it didn't clear it. So now it's been taken apart and cleaned out, it looks like she's running again.

Just the water leak to find and she should be sorted.

I'm going to pick her up in the morning and take her for a run.

Then I'm going to wait for the next thing to go wrong!!!

Next thing on the agenda is to get the 850's radiators fitted, aircon, oil and water all at the same time. And track down the oil leak to see if it can be stopped, with the price of Magnatec it's costly to keep topping her up.

Fingers crossed we can get both of the cars running as they should be.

cornclose
Wednesday 9th December 2009, 11:37
So you had the LPG conversion removed when you didn't need to ?

Porcine_Aviator
Thursday 10th December 2009, 15:38
So you had the LPG conversion removed when you didn't need to ?

Yep, but that started when it went into the main dealers, and the first thing they said was "It's the LPG conversion that's causing the problem"! No, we will look at the engine or anything. That was Taunton Volvo the Somerset Cowboys.

But Shipham Volvo did find a damaged board that was causing problems and removed it and all the bits, as the LPG system is causing problems. I have now found a company that are going to have a look at it next Tuesday to give me a price on getting it sorted.

I went along to get her and after paying £371.10 I was presented with a little bag of detritus from the fuel tank, bits of metal, leaf and other gunk.

They said that a new fuel pump would be £210 if the current one died and that would be plus labour, :doh:.

I went for a drive and found that she was running far better than previously, but then the engine management light lit up.

I got her home and phoned them, and the told me that it was the rear Lambda sensor that was causing the problem. It would need to be changed as it was getting towards the end of it's life.

I had a cuppa and then bill in hand went around to the garage that had fitted the new fuel tank sender, and presented the manager with the latest bill. He read through it and said "Blood Hell", but then came the nice surprise, he said he would refund the total cost to my card. He put his hands up and said it looks like the guy who fitted the new sender had done it in a rush. It was their fault and he would give me the money back there and then.

So I am once again singing the praises of St Georges Garage and Andy the manager, they really care about their customers cars, and the companies reputation.

So I now need a new Lambda sensor and a couple of recommendations a possible idler pulley or alternator bearing and a knocking noise coming from front suspension. One day, one day!!!

I go to sleep at night watching the pounds going up like the odometer in the dash if the car was doing 500mph.