PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting wastegate actuator rod

ddmgti
Friday 23rd October 2009, 14:22
Apoligies if this has been done to death before but anyway, i do a small mileage a week 100 or so, mainly back roads and rarely if ever get into 5th gear, i,ve done a lot of research into this mod and reckon it would suit me rather than chipped ecu etc, i,m not after loads of power would just like a little more low down, so can any experts confirm,
Remove heat shield (plenty WD40 on Bolts),
Remove Circlip,Lift arm off, hold arm in grips and Turn end part CLOCKWISE, as looking down on top of Arm? this will hold wastegate shut a bit longer to allow more boost to build up? I am aware of pitfalls/dangers of going too far, i intend to do 2 Full Turns, i also have an Aftermarket Boost Gauge fitted, I reckon if i get a bit more low down power this will do me, especially as its free!!, any advice etc as ever gratefully received,Thanks.

Rnash2002
Friday 23rd October 2009, 16:47
Apoligies if this has been done to death before but anyway, i do a small mileage a week 100 or so, mainly back roads and rarely if ever get into 5th gear, i,ve done a lot of research into this mod and reckon it would suit me rather than chipped ecu etc, i,m not after loads of power would just like a little more low down, so can any experts confirm,
Remove Circlip,Lift arm off, hold arm in grips and Turn end part CLOCKWISE, as looking down on top of Arm? this will hold wastegate shut a bit longer to allow more boost to build up? I am aware of pitfalls/dangers of going too far, i intend to do 2 Full Turns, i also have an Aftermarket Boost Gauge fitted, I reckon if i get a bit more low down power this will do me, especially as its free!!, any advice etc as ever gratefully received,Thanks.
If i was you i would get a mbc for around £25/£30 rather than messing with the actuator.

t5_carl
Friday 23rd October 2009, 17:59
i wound mine in a few turns, cant see the harm myself, just hitting the end of the scale now

PaulZX
Friday 23rd October 2009, 18:13
as said, an mbc is a way easier route, no unbolting of the heat shield, (which took me an hour to get out), no possibility (no matter how small) of damaging the actuator bar, and if it takes you 20 mins to fit an mbc, you've had a tea break half way thru the job...

plus if you need to put it back to normal, it's a 2 min job to take it out....

daveforber
Friday 23rd October 2009, 18:19
I reckon if i get a bit more low down power this will do me, especially as its free!!, any advice etc as ever gratefully received,Thanks.

You will. When I did this spool up was MUCH quicker, however you'll also get bigger boost spikes, so keep an eye on the boost gauge.

Also note a number of users have pointed out that too much boost too far down will increase the likelihood of rod-bendage, so be careful. You might want to do it 1 turn or half a turn at a time.

t5_carl
Friday 23rd October 2009, 18:19
oh the MBC is easier, but not the free like he wants, lol

Rnash2002
Friday 23rd October 2009, 18:36
oh the MBC is easier, but not the free like he wants, lol
Yes but a replacment engine would be even more £££ lol

ddmgti
Friday 23rd October 2009, 19:14
Cheers for advice, MBC is an option as well, looks like somones had a go at the heatshield before as top two bolts with springs have not been put back properly, if i cant remove heatshield then MBC it is

t5_carl
Friday 23rd October 2009, 19:16
Yes but a replacment engine would be even more £££ lol

lol,you dont worry about that bit as the needle flies off the scale lol

Rnash2002
Friday 23rd October 2009, 20:23
lol,you dont worry about that bit as the needle flies off the scale lol

Rather you than me..........:blowingup

jt850turbo
Friday 23rd October 2009, 21:42
my advice would be, adjusting anything without adjusting the brain of the car can only cause problems, if your brains telling you to turn left, but your legs have been adjusted to turn right then all your end up with is a stiff neck. if your going to adjust things let the brain know first surely? I can only say one thing, i brought my 2nd wife with a ebc fitted, reverse piping on the turbo,actuator twisted till there wasnt any more twisting to be done,flames coming from the exhaust, poping and farting sounds as soon as you took your right foot from the pedal......................monster machine........ but and i say a big BUT..... it wasn't going to last 500 miles............. every time i put my foot down i was losing sleep........... i removed the ebc, untwisted the actuator, repiped turbo... had her remaped rolled her..................280bhp............ i now have more fun in her than sleeping with my first wife......................

Rnash2002
Saturday 24th October 2009, 08:56
i now have more fun in her than sleeping with my first wife......................

LMAO thats a good one :B_thumb:

ddmgti
Saturday 24th October 2009, 10:25
LOL My first wife wasn,t much fun to sleep with , but, nothing ventured nothing gained, surely by adjusting a rod a couple of turns, all be it with a risk!! ,which could make a noticeable difference to the cars performance is worth a try anyway?

Rnash2002
Saturday 24th October 2009, 13:26
LOL My first wife wasn,t much fun to sleep with , but, nothing ventured nothing gained, surely by adjusting a rod a couple of turns, all be it with a risk!! ,which could make a noticeable difference to the cars performance is worth a try anyway?
As said above just turn half or 1 full turn a time and go for a drive and test every gear make sure its all ok.

alanscottgraham
Saturday 24th October 2009, 20:43
Sorry to sound thick but whats a MBC

cameron
Saturday 24th October 2009, 21:12
Manual Boost Controller :D

snoop69
Monday 26th October 2009, 11:06
Have a read of this if you havent already.

http://au.geocities.com/ozbrick850/engine-turbo-keithspage.html

cameron
Tuesday 27th October 2009, 12:33
I thought id have a nosey about my engine bay today, yes i was bored :grumpy:

Anywho, i got down to the Actuator and the nut that is supposed to lock the head of the actuator in place on the arm is just spinning about :confused:

I was thinking of giving it a turn or two to up the boost but now im not so sure, does it sound like the arm is knackered, does the arm come off the actuator itself to replace ?

Any ideas guys.

Cheers.

snoop69
Tuesday 27th October 2009, 12:39
The actuator arm will come out it you keep turning it.

When you remove it, keep a note of how many turns it takes so when it
is replaced you can get the setting correct.

The nut that is just spinning may have a stripped thread & can easily be
replaced if that is the case. If the arm thread is stripped then im sure someone
will have one knocking about somewhere.

cameron
Tuesday 27th October 2009, 12:51
Turn it anti-clockwise to unscrew it then ?

The head turns but i cant tell if its moving anywhere :grumpy:

Probably not if the nut has stripped it.

Anybody got a good actuator arm lying about ?

leet5r
Tuesday 27th October 2009, 18:18
Rather you than me..........:blowingup

av had my boost gauage hittin the temp gauage like and it felt no quicker than when the needle is at the end of the boost gauge

Rnash2002
Wednesday 28th October 2009, 08:02
av had my boost gauage hittin the temp gauage like and it felt no quicker than when the needle is at the end of the boost gauge

So you have had the standard boost gauge all the way past the white?
It feels no different because the 15g runs out of puff pas 15/16psi.