PDA

View Full Version : Induction kit question ?

Shortbusdriver1969
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 17:52
I was thinking of getting a pipercross induction kit,
but a friend of mine thats so volvo if you cut him in half he'd have VOLVO wrote through him like a stick of scarbrough rock has scarbrough through it.
says it could 'chuff ' up the MAF sensor.
I can understand this as looking at the air box it would by pass the sensor fitting a induction kit / cone filter.
what are your thoughts?
thanks in advance
:-)

p fandango
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 18:11
he is sort of right, it can knacker up the filter but only if it has excessive oil on it. If you do get one your best bet it to check & wash the filter out in water & let it dry, the same when it comes to washing it instead of using oil just wash it under the tap

i'm on about my 5th different cone filter & Pipercross is certainly one of the better one out of the lot i've used

Shortbusdriver1969
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 18:36
cheers matey
I am still in 2 minds lol well I always was indecicive but now I am not so sure :-)

t5 stealth
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 19:51
iv got k&n cone on mine....fitted it 2 years ago,havnt touched it since.
never had any problems with it.
the filter is supposed to hav a light coating of oil after you clean it,thats what makes it filter....but i hav only cleaned mine once & never had any problems after cleaning .

simspurejuice
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 20:34
hi i have just fitted a powertec induction kit on my t5r its a cone type one made of fine steel mesh so i dont require oiling

its a great filter gives a nice roar when you give the car some beens i had to construct a heat sheild for it though some thing to consider when fitting on you car also its a good idea to fit a cold air feed pipe to the filter as well i got mine from ebay filter comes with instructions took me about two hours to fit when fitting just be careful fitting it on to the maf sensor and dont disturb the lambda sensor fitted onto th maf sensor

hope that helps you out

p fandango
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 20:58
oiling does help with dirt retention, but the material used within the filter is fine enough to stop the majority of the dirt

ps the lamba sensor is in the exhaust not the maf housing

t5_carl
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 10:03
ive got a cossie one on mine, chatter is loud as!!!
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/cossiecrazycarl/DSC00016-1.jpg

Big Pete
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 15:52
I got a BSR one in mine, money well spent as you not only get the JR filter but a heat panel to stop excess heat from the engine!

p fandango
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 16:44
i've always been wary about how effective heat shields are, inless it is 100% sealed with no gaps at all your still going to get engine bay air sucked in when on WOT

volvokid
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 17:03
i've always been wary about how effective heat shields are, inless it is 100% sealed with no gaps at all your still going to get engine bay air sucked in when on WOT

Have a look here, there is a video that shows it working. http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S70V70-1998-2000/New-Products/Short-Ram-Intake/p-128-813-3559/

p fandango
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 17:18
Have a look here, there is a video that shows it working. http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S70V70-1998-2000/New-Products/Short-Ram-Intake/p-128-813-3559/
hmm, not sure i've i'm watching/hearing it right. But doesn't the temp stay around 88 with the standard airbox, yet with the heatshield stay around 93?

i'd of also placed the temp sensor in the intake pipe so there is no chance of the
sensor position on the heatshield/airbox affecting the results

i can't see the benefit of having a cone filter then restricting the amount of air getting to it from the ducting. I have actually used a bigger diameter pipe than that on a sealed intake system & it sucked itself flat under WOT & stalled the engine, scary moment till i seen what had happened lol

volvokid
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 17:25
hmm, not sure i've i'm watching/hearing it right. But doesn't the temp stay around 88 with the standard airbox, yet with the heatshield stay around 93?

i'd of also placed the temp sensor in the intake pipe so there is no chance of the
sensor position on the heatshield/airbox affecting the results

i can't see the benefit of having a cone filter then restricting the amount of air getting to it from the ducting. I have actually used a bigger diameter pipe than that on a sealed intake system & it sucked itself flat under WOT & stalled the engine, scary moment till i seen what had happened lol

Yeah there was a slight increase with internal air box temps, not sure if that was enough to decrease the performance of the car.

Surely if there is a good air feed going to the box it would be cooler air going to the filter than if the filter was beside the engine, no???

I know the S60R one has a cover that pops out for track use if you take the headlight out.

p fandango
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 17:49
Yeah there was a slight increase with internal air box temps, not sure if that was enough to decrease the performance of the car.
no the temperature difference may not make that much difference, but your still paying for no gain

Surely if there is a good air feed going to the box it would be cooler air going to the filter than if the filter was beside the engine, no???
if it was a nice straight free-flowing supply of air, then yes that air will obvsiously get drawn in more. I don't like corrugated ducting & the main benefit for using it is that is flexible, so easier to make bends that restrict & slow the air

I know the S60R one has a cover that pops out for track use if you take the headlight out.
my bro made a similar thing for his old Nissan 200SX. It depends how far you want to go but i don't think you need to go to those extremes to get good results. I haven't got any good pics of my intake, but the pipes are stainless tubing & kept it as straight as possible, with the filter in a good airstream

Shortbusdriver1969
Sunday 25th October 2009, 17:14
Right Guys and Gals,
this is what I am looking at. I am still a little worried about the MAF sensor been by passed though.
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=4935

Wombatbomb
Sunday 25th October 2009, 17:18
.... about the MAF sensor been by passed though.

Huh? It doesn't bypass the MAF if fitted correctly.

Shortbusdriver1969
Sunday 25th October 2009, 17:26
Now I am at a loss, as the pic from Parts for volvo really does to show the whole kit, and I would think that fitting a ' cone ' type filter would mean removing the airbox compleatly, thats where the sensor is. Is it not on top of the airbox lid ?
no air box no sensor, OR there must be another way ?
:-)

p fandango
Sunday 25th October 2009, 18:25
the MAF sensor & its housing unbolts from the airbox so your just left with a tube with sensor in, the cone filter just fits onto that then

Pipercross under my T-5 as the genie pig for that kit & was a noticable improvement even over the K&N 57i i had previously fitted

n/avolvokev
Tuesday 27th October 2009, 19:31
hi im suprised no one has picked up on this you may have the old box filter, like i have on my n/a volvo,
were the maf sensor is built into the airbox, theres not really a way of bypassing it. unless you get a t5 maf sensor and swap them over.
but i just went for a panel filter replacement.

Shortbusdriver1969
Sunday 1st November 2009, 19:40
YES ! mine is built in to the airbox. prob cos its one of the last 850's made maybe ?
on a note about warm air and heat sheilds I once saw a car with the cone filter right down, under the front bumber I guess its getting megga cold air that way ? would this be a viable choice ?

p fandango
Sunday 1st November 2009, 20:03
YES ! mine is built in to the airbox. prob cos its one of the last 850's made maybe ?
not sure about NA's but on the T-5 the MAF should be screwed into the airbox with 2 torq screw

on a note about warm air and heat sheilds I once saw a car with the cone filter right down, under the front bumber I guess its getting megga cold air that way ? would this be a viable choice ?
yeh the air will be colder, but also more liable to collecting water & it get it in a suitable position would mean a longer pipe with a couple more turns in

p fandango
Sunday 1st November 2009, 20:39
my intake

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3964/48900856.jpg

p fandango
Monday 2nd November 2009, 08:42
& just found this, what a lovely noise :sinner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuwtr9NefDg

Shortbusdriver1969
Sunday 22nd November 2009, 18:25
I'v been thinking, ( and it did not hurt ), as my MAF is built into the airbox lid, and I want to fit a kit, if I got a air pipe from a older 850, that had the MAF sensor, and fitted that. would this work ???

p fandango
Sunday 22nd November 2009, 18:39
I'v been thinking, ( and it did not hurt ), as my MAF is built into the airbox lid, and I want to fit a kit, if I got a air pipe from a older 850, that had the MAF sensor, and fitted that. would this work ???
it depends on the wiring plug & diameter of the pipe. I'm using a bigger pipe for my MAF sensor & the ECU don't like it lol, it takes quite a long while for it to adapt & start running/idling right. Put if it all fits & its the same size i can't see any reason why you can't do that

i'd be very interested to see a pic of your airbox/MAF as i've never even heard of them being one piece let alone seen one

Shortbusdriver1969
Monday 23rd November 2009, 22:31
it depends on the wiring plug & diameter of the pipe. I'm using a bigger pipe for my MAF sensor & the ECU don't like it lol, it takes quite a long while for it to adapt & start running/idling right. Put if it all fits & its the same size i can't see any reason why you can't do that

i'd be very interested to see a pic of your airbox/MAF as i've never even heard of them being one piece let alone seen one

I'll have to take a pic and email it to you as for the love of god I can not post pics on here :-)

p fandango
Tuesday 24th November 2009, 01:11
I'll have to take a pic and email it to you as for the love of god I can not post pics on here :-)
thanks, my snail-mail address is p.fandango@googlemail.com

once you've took a pic, if you get the picture hosted on somewhere like www.imageshack.us then copy the "direct link" web address it will give you, & paste it between img of your reply it should show the picture then. So you should end up with something like this

[im*g]http://www.imageshack12345.jpg[/im*g]
you have to remove the *'s, i had to put them in to stop it trying to display a picture

Shortbusdriver1969
Tuesday 24th November 2009, 18:27
cheers mate, I ll get on with it at weekend, as its all bloody work from now on,
busy time of year for me :-)