PDA

View Full Version : My New (to me) 850 T5

Niles
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 10:12
Hi All who read, here's the story....
As some may know my last 850 had a big miss fire & as a result bent the one of the con rods. As much as I like auto boxes I was getting tired of the car changing gears as & when it wanted to & particularly in corners shifting down & me having to 'kick down' to dring it back to 'life'. So after much thinking of what route to take to stay amongst the Volvo world I thought best way forward was to search for a nice 850 & transplant all of my go faster & decorative goodies. The Hunt started on ebay & 1 caught my eye, full history, 131k miles & manual. Contacted the seller 7 WOW the car was 360 miles away in Newcastle!!!! Is it really worth the effort? Lets be brave & take a chance. I won the car for what was a risky £510 if the car was a pile off poo!!!!

Monday 11.30pm, Snoop69 and I head north from Dover Kent in his trusty V70, no rush, lets be economical & take no risks on such a long journey, both agreeing that the pair of us must have more than 1 screw loose to do this!!! After much plodding & being tired we get to Newcastle at 7am & have a little kip as the seller was not due to meet us at her work until 9am.

9am....here comes the car!! Looking nice. After a quick check over I'm happy but the drive home will really tell, hand over the cash & head to a petrol station (is it just me that every time i buy a car the seller flogs it when it's running on fumes?)
Upon getting home VERY tired (and so was Snoop) the car really behaved absolutely perfectly!! I can't stress how 'straight' & honest the car is, totally standard & unmolested in any way, however, plain to see it's well looked after.

The seller listed the cars faults as being.... Glove box broken, oil leak, paint stain in boot & the bumper corners are all scratched (aren't they all eh?). After a further look around & a drive of 360miles home I must agree!! That was all!! (plonked in my Rica 304 ECU and got an average of 34.8mpg on the homeward journey). We got home at 6pm Tuesday evening. 18 hours mission!!

Wednesday morning, the glovebox is now fully repaired & my 'painter' mate is queued up to repaint my old bumpers as they are 'scrape free', the oil leak WAS due for investigation if/when the bl00dy rain stops and so was the swap of seats to my black leather ones!!! Quicky looky says the oil leak is the turbo return or 1 of the main oil cooler pipes. We'll see later.

Here's a couple of pics & how cool is the number plate? :B_thumb:
Roof rails going, wheels being swapped for my Tethys, massive list of things to do to bring it up to my last cars spec but I've got all the bits & its a case of time & opportunity. lucky me, the car to me is worth EVEY penny of the price paid, effort & petrol money. Hope you all approve!!!

An unbelievably massive, huge thank you to Snoop69!!!!
BTW Volvo states the car as Green!!!!???

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2009_0907p850tfu0003.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2009_0907p850tfu0002.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2009_0907p850tfu0005.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2009_0907p850tfu0004.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2009_0907p850tfu0001.jpg

cameron
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 11:27
Looks like you got a bargain there mate, loving the reg, well done :D

And respect goes out to Snoop for driving you all the way up there ;)

Rnash2002
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 12:24
Car looks a good one,love the colour aswell.........

Ed.
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 13:33
Looks like you got a bargain there. If you are selling the roof rails, let me know.

Ed

Niles
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 14:48
Thanks all. to ED, the roof rails are going to Snoop as a prezzy for being there for me & helping me out. Top man & deserves the rails 110%.

Niles
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 14:51
Car looks a good one,love the colour aswell.........

Thanks mate. Paint Code is 431= Aqua Blue Metallic. Why are Volvo calling it green? :cuckoo:

Niles
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 14:54
P850T FU was tempting me but already been told by a mate that knows that if i did that its possible I could be reported to the DVLA & they could remove the number plate as it would appear offensive. :duck:

Murphy
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 15:16
I have had one in that colour, shame the rails are going, I prefer them with :P

Niles
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 15:20
My choice is to remove them to make the car 'sleeker' if the choice was left to Mrs Niles they'd stay.

Niles
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 15:24
Jobs done (its still raining)
Glove box fixed
Air filter changed
Strut brace fitted.
Clio rear wiper fitted.
Broke my clear side repeaters!!! :mad:
Fitted my cup holder.

to do....
too many to list

RollingThunder
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 21:19
Good looking car! I'm glad I'm not the only nutter to travel several hundred miles to pick up an ebay special :D My 850R was in Dover, I'm in Yorkshire...

Hope she's a good un!

S70T5Chris
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 21:47
nice one niles, hope the new motor ( and mods ;) ) works out for you!

Volvostorm
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 21:50
Looks a very nice and clean T5, I like that colour too, really suits them

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 22:45
Very nice matey, got a bargain there didn't you.

Hope it all goes to plan.

Niles
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 10:20
ok, today's plan as its not raining yet is toooo.......
Change interiors (seats)
Change shox & springs
Change wheels.
Change Discs & pads.
Hunt oil leak & fix if possible. At least find leak & diagnose.

Do'able in 5.5 hrs? Off we go now.........

JelT5
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 10:40
Great buy Niles. E-bay can be pretty good at times!
Good luck with the jobs :)

Niles
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 12:46
Tea break. Lowered the back end and swapped all the back end suspension over. Grrrrr off both cars, swap swap, reinstall. Tight nut & bolts!!! :bitehard3

Niles
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 17:28
WOW!!! I honestly think that the car has never been touched suspension wise since new. Major battle getting virtually every nut & bolt of, very nearly stripped 3 or 4 of them. I took my time to ensure it was done properly & did the springs, shox & drop links. (all very new parts).
Annoying I've run out of time so toady's to-do list wasn't completed but im happy with the results & progress. The Tethys are filthy & I promise to clean them tomorrow. 1st pic was from an angle not really showing how high the car was sitting. Im sure after a couple of miles the car will settle down a little more. Looks much better me thinks! lol
Before...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2009_0907p850tfu0011.jpg
After.....
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/camelbeanie/2009_0907p850tfu0013.jpg

cameron
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 20:10
Looking better, ive always had a soft spot for the Tethys :D

Are you having an R front on her ?

Niles
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 20:40
no mate. I dont want a 'pretend 'R'. I will get a RGM front splitter when ive finished doing all the bits from my old car to this 1.

volvokid
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 20:53
no mate. I dont want a 'pretend 'R'. I will get a RGM front splitter when ive finished doing all the bits from my old car to this 1.

It's not a pretend R as long as you keep the T5 badge on. The standard bumper looks boring the splitter will make it look a lot better, dont know why Volvo alway make the T5 look the same as the rest.

t5lover
Saturday 24th October 2009, 08:50
looks nice mate :)