PDA

View Full Version : Turbo plate?

dydigital
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 00:25
I have a 850 T5, and someone has fitted a dump valve to my car, The bloke that sold me the car advise me to fit a plate, now the hose that comes out from where the plate would be has been cut (looks like it goes into a boost controler)

can someone advise me what to do? i would like the keep the dump valve but and after some advice.

cameron
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 01:02
Can you take a photo of the area ?

There should be a recirculating valve if there is no plate.

Like this ...............

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/recircvalve.jpg

Once this is removed then you would put the forge blanking plate in its place .........

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/ForgeDV3.jpg

Im not 100% sure on what people do with the hose that goes to the recirc valve once its been removed, i suspect they block it with something or just blank it off somewhere.

Anybody ?????????????? :confused:

dydigital
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 01:34
Yeh thats the thing, I have the valve and the pipes been cut. think someone may have fitted a manual boost controler.

Should i plate it off or connect the two ends of pipe back together?

claymore
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 07:36
if you have a dump valve, you must blank off the recirc valve, otherwise the boost pressure will open the recirc as there isn't any opposit pressure from the small pipe to counteract the boost. the pipe that's been cut probably goes up to the dump valve.

cameron
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 11:31
What he said :D

The plates are £23 + Postage from PFS see here (http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=4505)

Quite a fiddly job but a 10mm ratchet spanner is your friend ;)

dydigital
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 13:40
Just ordered..... :)

jt850turbo
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 16:22
i have a blanking plate, just had it removed and a recirculating valve put back on. anyone want one?

cameron
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 16:41
How much mate ?

dydigital
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 17:01
i have a blanking plate, just had it removed and a recirculating valve put back on. anyone want one?

Why did you take it back off again?

Jamest5r
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 17:06

If cam dont want it mate ill have it for the mrs car, you dont have the pipe work do you?, im assuming you've taken the d/v off your car

t5 pete
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 17:27
The hose that goes into the recirc valve needs to go into the dump valve once the recirc has been blanked off

dydigital
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 18:57
Now i'm confused, the boost controler had three pipes....

on my car one goes to the into the inlet pipe near the air flow meter, the other two are not connected to anything.

I assume one used to go to the recirc valve and the other to atmosphere.

is this correct and if so which one need connecting back to the r/c valve?

t5 pete
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 19:06
the the hoses from the bcs
Red dot = nipple on compressor housing
Yellow dot= acuator
blue dot= air pipe leading to turbo inlet there is a nipple just after the maf

p fandango
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 19:06
Now i'm confused, the boost controler had three pipes....

on my car one goes to the into the inlet pipe near the air flow meter, the other two are not connected to anything.

I assume one used to go to the recirc valve and the other to atmosphere.

is this correct and if so which one need connecting back to the r/c valve?
if your running an MBC the factory BCS (boost control solenoid) shouldn't have any going to it. I would remove the remaining pipe & block that up, even left plumbed into the BCS it will be creating a minor leak (ps the other 2 pipes used, one off the pressure side of the turbo, the other goes to the actuator)

the recirc valve is nothing to do with the boost control, the recirc valve's job is to release the excess boost made from the turbo continuing to spin when you let off the power (ie between gear changes) so as not to stall the turbo as the unwanted air hits the closed throttle butterfly

jt850turbo
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 21:22
If cam dont want it mate ill have it for the mrs car, you dont have the pipe work do you?, im assuming you've taken the d/v off your car
mine was piped so the excess went back through the waste gate, waste gate chatter, no performance just made a sound. My thoughts are volvo piped it there way because there main man engineer, said that was the best way to do it, so i'm going to do what that man said was best. if anyone wants it they are welcome to it!

cameron
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 21:26
I'll have it Please :D

Sorry Jim :sorry:

Slightly off thread, Jim how you doing with getting the 16t's ?

dydigital
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 21:43
if your running an MBC the factory BCS (boost control solenoid) shouldn't have any going to it. I would remove the remaining pipe & block that up, even left plumbed into the BCS it will be creating a minor leak (ps the other 2 pipes used, one off the pressure side of the turbo, the other goes to the actuator)

the recirc valve is nothing to do with the boost control, the recirc valve's job is to release the excess boost made from the turbo continuing to spin when you let off the power (ie between gear changes) so as not to stall the turbo as the unwanted air hits the closed throttle butterfly

Sorry i ment the factory boost controler, I am only running the factory boost controler, i havn't fitted a manual one, I just noticed that the pipes where not going anywhere.

p fandango
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 23:35
Sorry i ment the factory boost controler, I am only running the factory boost controler, i havn't fitted a manual one, I just noticed that the pipes where not going anywhere.
tbh mate, if the standard BCS isn't plumbed in the same way as T5Pete has described above, & its not being bypassed to run either a MBC/EBC then i wouldn't be using the car. By the sound of it the boost control pipework has been seriously messed around with by someone who doesn't know what there doing, without a pipe going to the actuator there is nothing controlling the boost pressure which ain't good

any chance you can post a pic of the pics you mean so we can see whats going on?

dydigital
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 23:56
Will take some picture tomorrow morning and post them up.

dydigital
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 00:41
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs218.snc1/8521_163805425457_510025457_3255957_2649510_n.jpg
Dump valve and where the pipe goes to....

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs238.snc1/8521_163805430457_510025457_3255958_8186603_n.jpg
Boost controler? Blue goes to the intake pipe on the left. yellow and black are not connected to anything.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs238.snc1/8521_163805435457_510025457_3255959_4826359_n.jpg
Side of the turbo. My understanding is that the think in the middle where the pipe is cut is the re circ valve where i could fit the forge plate.

p fandango
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 06:18
the dump valve is plumber ok

your right that is the recirc in the centre of the pic with the small piece of pipe, that is help on with 3 bolts which you remove & replace with the blanking plate

the cylinderic thing with the pipe connected in (same pic as the recirc valve, to the right of it) is the actuator & this is the part that worries me. The actuator is what controls the boost level, it should be connected to the boost control solenoid. Where does the pipe go?

Jamest5r
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 15:47
I'll have it Please :D

Sorry Jim :sorry:

Slightly off thread, Jim how you doing with getting the 16t's ?

No probs mate got to be quick around here!!!, as for the 16t's got one sitting here just looking for another then get them refubed and fitted in the new year ready for as many of the drag strip days as i can blag(well afford)

dydigital
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 16:23
I have had a look, it comes out the actuator, and loops back under the turbo and is connected to a nipple under the re circ valve (just below the re circ valve on the turbo

Just for clarification, i want to keep the dump valve, i have purchased the forge plate that i may need, the car as face as i can see did at one point have a manual boost controller but its no longer in the car, think the prevous owner took it out.

Also: just had a look on ebay at some turbos and they have a nipple on the conpressor housing, my actuator hose could me connected to that :confused:

dydigital
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 20:44
If someone would be kind (someone that has a dump valved T5) please have a look under there bonnet and make a note of what pipe goes where and post them here i will be very greatful.

I'm interested in where the three solonoid pipes go to (already in the topic but just want to confirm if there the same for a dump valved T5, and where the pipe from the re circ pipe goes to if not the solonoid. Many thanks.

t5 pete
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 20:54
yes there the same when having a d/v fitted and the hose from the dump valve needs to go to the inlet manifold

t5 pete
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 20:56
And the recirc goes to the inlet manifold but if you have a dump valve you shouldnt have the recirc fitted

p fandango
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 20:56
If someone would be kind (someone that has a dump valved T5) please have a look under there bonnet and make a note of what pipe goes where and post them here i will be very greatful.

I'm interested in where the three solonoid pipes go to (already in the topic but just want to confirm if there the same for a dump valved T5, and where the pipe from the re circ pipe goes to if not the solonoid. Many thanks.
the 3 pipes on the solenoid don't change, they are always the same as already listed no matter if your running a dump valve or not, & your dump valve is plumbed in correctly

dydigital
Wednesday 21st October 2009, 21:00
Thanks guys, I will plumb the solonoid back in, then test the car and see what happens.

Then when the plate turns up will fit it and test the car again.

dydigital
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 19:13
Would just like to say thanks to all the above for there support, my pipework is now back to normal, I have fitted the forge blanking plate and all seam well.

Note to anyone doing the forge plate, taking the intake pipe off makes it alot easier to access the bottom bolt.

Thanks again.