PDA

View Full Version : Timingbelt / waterpump

chrjen
Saturday 17th October 2009, 06:08
Im about to do my first timing belt change including tensioner, idler and so on - BUT all guides i read there is no mentioning of changing the waterpump. What do you guys do, is it only changed when leaking or ???

It is a 850R used as a toy only and doing max 3000 km per year - so it is not my daily driver..

stephenevans99
Saturday 17th October 2009, 07:56
Change the pump whilst your 'in there'. I'm sure Simon (Rufe) will give you a competitive price.

Rufe
Saturday 17th October 2009, 09:06
to be honest with you its not essential, though many people do like to change it for peace of mind. I say they are not essential because they are not on any set service interval to be changfed, and are not specifically listed to be changed when doing the belt. Our workshop changes timing belts every day of the week, but rarely have to replace a pump, though of course they are checked when the job is being done, and if there is any play that shouldnt be there or any bearing noise from it, they will change them. As a rule of thumb its more likely to be needed the 2nd time the belt is done in the cars life.

If you do want one I can provide a genuine one (along with the belts etc if your interested)

A water pump for your car will be pn 30751700 which retails at £73.03, I sell them for £53.31. If you want discounted genuine timing belt parts then please send me a pm with your registration number and I can get you prices of the required parts for your car, including postage, and you will find a considerable saving.

Simon :)

Shortbusdriver1969
Saturday 17th October 2009, 13:36
Morning all, I have just had my Cambelt done, my perosnal mech also changed the pump as the day before she was due for the belt started over heating FFS I just changed the rad. any road, the pumb was on its way out, small amount of play and was making a noise,
so while you are there check it. like Rufe said if there play or nasty noise then its gotta be done, while you have that lost stripped off,