PDA

View Full Version : CV joint circlip

TenaciousC
Friday 16th October 2009, 13:13
Hi All,

Managed to break a tang off the circlip that holds my outer CV joint together. I thought this would something volvo would have in stock.... as it's a part which is recommended to be changed frequently.

It seems not.... apparently it might be part of their transmission shaft repair kit, but the guy on the phone wasn't particularly useful and couldn't confirm.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these from?

Cheers

C

Shortbusdriver1969
Friday 16th October 2009, 13:34
Give Rufe a shout or try Parts for volvo on line.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 16th October 2009, 16:22
You could just buy a cv boot kit from ECP or GSF, or there are part numbers for the circlips is it inner or outer, and is it the large or small one?

jay30h
Friday 16th October 2009, 21:53
Ive used thease before i couldnt fault them

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-PAIRS-UNIVERSAL-STAINLESS-STEEL-CV-BOOT-HOSE-CLIPS_W0QQitemZ180413208995QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2a017719a3

TenaciousC
Saturday 17th October 2009, 14:22
Hi

Thanks for the feedback. :-)

Just to clarify, I'm not referring to the boot jubilee clips, but the actual circlip that prevents the whole CV joint from splitting. This is the thing you have to prise apart whilst tapping the inner splines to split the joint.

In the end, I needed the car back on the road, so I put the damaged clip back on. It will hold fine, but will be difficult / impossible to remove the next time I want to do this job. Perhaps a wrap around boot will do the trick for the next time.

I note the some boot kits available on the Internet seem to include this part, but others don't (e.g part for Volvo). The ones that do tend to be in the US. Volvo don't want to sell me one separately which I think is quite naughty.

Anyway problem solved / postponed for a couple of years!

Cheers

C.

mexybhouy
Saturday 17th October 2009, 14:45
You usually get this metal clip in cv kits, i would'nt put my foot down while having the wheels on full lock if i was you, as the cv joint could easily dislodge itself from the driveshaft!
You can get one from any tranmission refurbers, they would have plenty lying around.
If i were you i would get it sorted just in case, it does happen!!!!

TenaciousC
Monday 19th October 2009, 11:07
i would'nt put my foot down while having the wheels on full lock if i was you, as the cv joint could easily dislodge itself from the driveshaft!

it's ok, the clip is still useable and holds the joint together fine, just one of the "tangs" has broken off, so it will be very difficult to prise apart again with out some exotic circlip pliers!

Dangerous Dave
Monday 19th October 2009, 11:52
It doesn't matter as the clip has to be spread apart to get it out, so breaking one of the tags isn't going to affect it really as it just snaps into place anyway.