PDA

View Full Version : High Wear Items

dave stew
Wednesday 14th October 2009, 11:05
This is a bit of a strange thread (well, no more than normal...)

My old Tank has now clocked 151,000 miles and is generally in good health. I always get it regularly serviced and have replaced the following major bits in the past two years:

Clutch assembly
Front and rear main seals
Cam belt and main drive belts
Front wheel bearings
Four new dampers and front top mounts
Front driveshafts
Front wishbone bushes
Steering joints
Rear brake discs and handbrake shoes
Cleaned the ETM
Regassed the air con (twice)

As a result of this, the car drives well and is in good condition. I think it is worth keeping as it is worth the square root of bugger all on the open market or as a trade in so I am going to keep it for the long run.

However, I am looking to maximise its reliability. I thought about spending a few hundred on potential components that may fail (300 miles from home, knowing my luck...)

So, how about:
New coil packs (all five)
New ETM
New MAF sensor

Clean out the engine breather assembly

Is there anything else that the peeps out there have found?

What is the typical mileage to think about top end rebuilds? Mine uses very little oil, but 151,000 miles is a lot of movement in the valve gear.

I suppose the cop cars do 170,000 hard miles before they are sold. Do they need any engine remedials at that distance?

Rambling, I know. Coffee break thread and all that.

dave stew
Thursday 15th October 2009, 10:07
Well, that thread was about as popular as a turd in a swimming pool!

Al115
Thursday 15th October 2009, 10:33
LOL :)

For my money you've got the main ones covered there!

cornclose
Thursday 15th October 2009, 10:34
I changed my MAF at about 90,000 and noticed quite a considerable improvement in drivability. One other thing I would recommend is to get the injectors cleaned by Jim. I had this done a few thousand miles ago and again a noticable improvement in smoothness and punch at lower RPMs.

Coil packs and ETM I wouldn't bother with unless you suspect a problem. Other than that, I think you covered most things!

cookie
Thursday 15th October 2009, 11:53
Personally I would be more inclined to replace all the boost and vac hoses, as it cheap simple(ish) and will probably be begining to start to perish/leak under boost (MAF is possible), but TBH they are available easily and when they begin to fail, they rairly leave you stranded, same with ETM and coil packs, they tend to give plenty of warning B4 failure, its ignoring the warning signs (lumpy idle, poor top end, acceleration not smooth.....)

edit

often replacing maf makes car feel more responsive, but disconnecting battery overnight can often give same effect, I'm not saying that replacing MAF (that is old) wont have an effect, but changing for changes sake is not IMHO nessasary

MattM
Thursday 15th October 2009, 12:55
How would you diagnose the MAF is not up to the job?