PDA

View Full Version : Grease and wheel bolts!!!

jp850R
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 21:47
I have just got my car back from being serviced at my local volvo stealer and tonite decided to look for a nasty noise comming from front end of my car, this involved takin the front wheels off.
Now the main thing i need to know is does any one no if volvo or any garage use grease (not copper ease) on wheel bolts on the thread :wtf: , i thought that this was dangerous as grease is designed to make two surfaces glide over eachother and not stick, exactly the opposite of what i thought wheel bolts were meant to do!!
Cheers

splatt
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 21:52
NNNNOooooo....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clean it off....
On alloys a smidge around the seating but never the thread...
It even tells you not to in the habdbook.....
Complain...

jp850R
Wednesday 8th June 2005, 19:19
Ah didnt think it was right stoopid thing is there is a load of copper ease around the hub to stop the wheel stickin on! Y not use it on the bolts too, never mind tho, nasty thought who else may have the same thing from them but doesnt check there car!!!
Telling off on the way!!

Oh and as a warning to anyone else in my area its southampton volvo that did it, not happy!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 9th June 2005, 03:50
You should have a small amount of copper slip on the thread of the bolts and on the hub. The wheel nuts are cranked up tight (80 ft pounds minimum) - and the slip stops them getting seized and stops the alloy from sticking to the steel hub.

I always do it and always will. Hamish does it. I have never met a mechanic that didnt.

Andy
Thursday 9th June 2005, 06:55
I always do it too, have done on every car i've had and friends etc.

As Dave says the nuts are cranked very very tight and if you do as tyre places say (check wheel nuts after 100 or so miles) then you should be fine.

One benefit we have is 5 nuts instead of 4 :D

jp850R
Thursday 9th June 2005, 10:36
Copper ease i no about its the grease on the thread that worried me!!!!!

madness
Thursday 9th June 2005, 10:50
we always do it . getting the wheel off otherwise can be a nightmare

jp850R
Thursday 9th June 2005, 10:57
we always do it . getting the wheel off otherwise can be a nightmare

Wot grease (not copper ease) on the thread?

madness
Thursday 9th June 2005, 13:25
sorry :B_blite: i meant coppaslip

not grease

it might be a copaslip alternative grease as some people are using this now.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 9th June 2005, 13:33
CopperSlip is just grease with copper dust mixed into it. It is used to prevent binding and exclude water. Regular grease will not do any harm.

jp850R
Thursday 9th June 2005, 13:50
So forgive me if im seeming a bit thick here but grease (not copper ease) IS ok on the thread of my wheel bolts?

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 9th June 2005, 15:14
it will not do any harm.

jp850R
Thursday 9th June 2005, 15:45
Ah cool, thank you for clarifyin that for me, thanks all. :)

andi t5
Thursday 9th June 2005, 16:33
CopperSlip is just grease with copper dust mixed into it. It is used to prevent binding and exclude water. Regular grease will not do any harm. i would certainly apply copper grease to the faces of the hub but as for the wheel bolts no, i would not, the torque value volvo qoute are for the bolts dry and by applying grease you are actually reducing the friction bewtween the thread flanks , looking at my owners handbook it states in bold print DO NOT GREASE WHEEL BOLTS, enough said really, unless you of course know something volvo dont, the important thing to remember is make sure the threads are clean and in good condition and torque up to bewtween 80/95 llbs ft using a accurate wrench(anymore and you will damage the wheels!) follow this and you wont have any problems it is actually standard engineering pratice when torque loading fastners that no lubricant is used unless specified as this totally alters the friction load applied

jp850R
Thursday 9th June 2005, 17:10
i would certainly apply copper grease to the faces of the hub but as for the wheel bolts no, i would not, the torque value volvo qoute are for the bolts dry and by applying grease you are actually reducing the friction bewtween the thread flanks , looking at my owners handbook it states in bold print DO NOT GREASE WHEEL BOLTS, enough said really, unless you of course know something volvo dont, the important thing to remember is make sure the threads are clean and in good condition and torque up to bewtween 80/95 llbs ft using a accurate wrench(anymore and you will damage the wheels!) follow this and you wont have any problems it is actually standard engineering pratice when torque loading fastners that no lubricant is used unless specified as this totally alters the friction load applied

Ah now that was what i thought in the 1st post!, ill be cleanin them anyway better safe than sorry.

rocket ron
Thursday 9th June 2005, 17:14
Ah now that was what i thought in the 1st post!, ill be cleanin them anyway better safe than sorry.good idea, anyone who advocates greasing wheel bolts is a playing with less than a full deck imho, as andi said it states in no uncertain terms in the owners handbook not to, how clear does it need to be for gods sake?

Wobbly Dave
Friday 10th June 2005, 10:19
I advocate the use of a smallest dab of copperslip. Mine will never jam on. As to my own and Hamish's madness - I may well be. TBH I don't really care enough.

jp850R
Friday 10th June 2005, 14:08
Copper slip i agree with but grease i do not :)

rocket ron
Friday 10th June 2005, 16:29
Copper slip i agree with but grease i do not :)er, as dave says copper slip is grease with copper added! therefore the issues with grease apply equally to copper slip

jp850R
Friday 10th June 2005, 17:43
Oops sorry meant copper ease. :doh:

rick
Saturday 11th June 2005, 17:10
hi i agree with most of the replies above a little copper slip or general purpose grease on the stud/nut and hub will only aid removal next time i done it for the last ten years on my range rover alloys and never had a problem, i also work in the haulage industry as a mechanic and we do the same with trucks .
hope this helps put your mind at rest.

regards

rick.