PDA

View Full Version : My brothers new T5 - HELP!

sebasteeno
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 22:05
We won one on ebay the other day and picked it up sunday. Anyway we could see it had issues but nothing as bad as what our mech has just come with. The list is as follows.

2xfront antiroll bar links worn out
offside steering rack boot insecure and split
nearside front shocker insert damp
offside front brake back plate corroded away
front discs and pads
rear discs and pads
may require handbrake shoes
offside headlight not working
2xtyres required
timing belt kit
poly V belt split
offside indicator lamp loose
brake fluid change required

So what would you do, get rid sharpish or fix?

cameron
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 22:27
Thats a few bob to fix mate :grumpy:

sebasteeno
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 22:28
Thats a few bob to fix mate :grumpy:
Weve just been talking and its a gonner. What a piece of ££££! Told him to buy a 2.5T!

nobananas
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 22:31
Not all that bad really, all those things are common service items (except the brake backplates, but you don't need them anyway) it's just going to be costly to sort it all at once. Either get shut of it or do the most important things first and gradually get it up to scratch that way you spend a little regularly rather then a lot all at once.

5seaterT5x2
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 22:36
dont wanna be a party pooper but whats the PCV system like as well?

cameron
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 22:38
:doh:

Stick the boot in why dont you :D

sebasteeno
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 23:25
Apparantly the engines good though with a timing belt and oil filter that look like theyve not been changed in years id seriously doubt that.

Does anyone know the recourse we could have with regard to asking for a refund. It was bought off a trader linky (http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/ak_automotive/) and he seemed to pride himself on his good rep.

cameron
Wednesday 14th October 2009, 00:00
I take it he didnt list the problems on his listing ?

In which case you should be able to take it back, unless there was a sold as seen clause in there somewhere :confused:

phil_woods
Wednesday 14th October 2009, 00:58
The law has been adapted to suit the consumer here. You have a "reasonable" time to reject the vehicle and you can reject the vehicle if it is not in a condition which is expected of it's age. With your case it sounds difficult as the items listed are in keeping with general wear and tear over time. My suggestion would be to try and come to an amicable solution with the trader, this hass happened to me twice, the first I got £500 back to repair and the second one refused point blank to help. The trader wasn't bothered by trading standards etc but sh@ himself when I told him I was getting vosa involved as he had just mot'd the car with 13 different failures. Have a look at the trading standards website, it's really clear and doesnt use lawyer speak. Hope this helps.

phil_woods
Wednesday 14th October 2009, 00:59
Oh yeah sold as seen doesn't apply to traders as I believe that they are obliged to give some warranty as a trader, I could be corrected on that one though.

Al115
Wednesday 14th October 2009, 08:48
"Sold as seen" does not apply to traders. They don't have to give any warranty either.

Look up my thread on the dog of a T4 I bought a year or so back if you're interested.

Most of those items are service items as stated, you could fix them up and have a reliable motor I'm guessing...

sebasteeno
Wednesday 14th October 2009, 09:41
Spoke to the dealer and hes not interested giving the sold as seen and trade car excuses.

So having slept on it my bro has decided to fix it as its here, its a rare manual and the next one could be a money pit too. So he needs loads of bits. Ive just ordered the drop links but the rest is still needed. Ill put a post up in the wanted section.

Jimmie
Wednesday 14th October 2009, 10:56
It would have depended how much you payed for the vehicle,if it was under a certain figure they dont need to give ANY warranty.
Hope you get it sorted and enjoy.

If its this one i think you did ok-

leet5r
Wednesday 14th October 2009, 22:46
if you do all the jobs needed then you know its nt goin to need them anytime soon. you could have gotten a minter then 2/3 months down the road it could need any of the jobs above doin so not all lost its the way you look at the thing lol when you drive it after you have fixed all the probs it will put a smile on ya face

sebasteeno
Thursday 15th October 2009, 08:29
if you do all the jobs needed then you know its nt goin to need them anytime soon. you could have gotten a minter then 2/3 months down the road it could need any of the jobs above doin so not all lost its the way you look at the thing lol when you drive it after you have fixed all the probs it will put a smile on ya face
Which is our way of thinking too.

Justin
Thursday 15th October 2009, 08:35
I hope the fix goes well, what i cant understand is why parts for these cars are still so expensive, even after market.

jdavis
Thursday 15th October 2009, 13:52
as said above, most of them bits are general service items. Once you've got them up to date you should have a good 'un.

sebasteeno
Thursday 15th October 2009, 19:29
Been on a bit of a mission the last two days.

Heres what it needed and what weve ordered so far,
2xfront antiroll bar links - ORDERED
offside steering rack boot insecure and split
nearside front shocker - Sourced (cheers smithness)
offside front brake back plate
front discs and pads - ORDERED
rear discs and pads - ORDERED
handbrake shoes
2xtyres required - BUYING SATURDAY
timing belt kit - ORDERED FROM RUFE
poly V belt - ORDERED FROM RUFE
offside indicator lamp loose
brake fluid change - ORDERED SOME DOT 5.1

Also ordered some G_MAX 40mm lowering springs for it today. Current total spend is £420 not including tyres which should take it over the £550 mark. Good job my brothers single and has a bit of money in the bank.

This is it btw.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk145/sebasteeno/cimg1217.jpg

phil_woods
Thursday 15th October 2009, 19:49
Looks tidy!

sebasteeno
Thursday 15th October 2009, 20:41
Looks tidy!
Itll look better next week as its getting some major tlc as im sorting the bumper scuffs out, machine polishing it, fitting a black grill, spraying the alloys black (like mine as he loves em) and giving it the dark smoke tint treatment.

Jimmie
Thursday 15th October 2009, 20:58
Cheap car at £900.00.

mikej
Thursday 15th October 2009, 21:08
:eek: Tints and painting the wheels black :doh: why not just polish it ?

sebasteeno
Thursday 15th October 2009, 21:38
Cheap car at £900.00.
I agree and we thought it'd need a couple of hundred spending on it but not £700+ which is more likey.

sebasteeno
Thursday 15th October 2009, 21:41
:eek: Tints and painting the wheels black :doh: why not just polish it ?
Its getting machine polished so the paint will look fantastic but my bro wants its pimped and thats whats happening to it ala mine. Im all for taking an already good looking car and tweaking it but understand it may not be not to everyones taste just like mine

Jimmie
Thursday 15th October 2009, 21:49
Might have been better to have inspected it before parting with any cash as the seller did say there were suspension knocks.
But you might have got that with a more expensive motor a couple of months later.
You pay's your money,you takes your chance.

sebasteeno
Thursday 15th October 2009, 22:01
Might have been better to have inspected it before parting with any cash as the seller did say there were suspension knocks.
But you might have got that with a more expensive motor a couple of months later.
You pay's your money,you takes your chance.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but in all honesty the seller seemed a decent kind of guy and said he only sold **** through the autotrader but decent stuff on ebay and that way he can build up good feedback. Sort of put our mind at rest. We all make mistakes but wre trying to rectify this one and in the process giving a tired old T5 a new lease of life.

sebasteeno
Friday 16th October 2009, 20:15
BTW does anyone know what colour this car is ie name and paintcode so i can get a tin of sporay made up to sort the bumper scuffs out?

Volvostorm
Friday 16th October 2009, 21:33
The paintcode is normally on the vin plate, its a 3 digit code like '189' But not that number because thats white! :P

sebasteeno
Sunday 18th October 2009, 17:03
First wheel painted.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk145/sebasteeno/Doms%20T5/IMG_1540.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk145/sebasteeno/Doms%20T5/IMG_1541.jpg

sebasteeno
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 18:52
Well its off to the mechs tomorrow to have a new cambelt/tensioner/idler etc, new brakes all round, drop links, new front shocks and some lowering. Ive been busy over the last couple of days spraying wheels, washing, polishing, touching in and it now looks like this.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk145/sebasteeno/Doms%20T5/IMG_1549.jpg

And heres a shot of the bros V70s together
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk145/sebasteeno/Doms%20T5/IMG_1547.jpg

cameron
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 21:18
Looking good Seb :D

You boys have something about Black wheels ;)

Must run in the family eh :B_thumb:

Did you get the paint code off the Vin Plate on the N/S inner wing ?

sebasteeno
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 21:37
Looking good Seb :D

You boys have something about Black wheels ;)

Must run in the family eh :B_thumb:

Did you get the paint code off the Vin Plate on the N/S inner wing ?

Sure did.

Oh and black wheels rock btw! Probably something to do with our Alfa 155 heritage

Our old motors
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk145/sebasteeno/Alfa%20155/17082008779.jpg

mexybhouy
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 21:41
It'll be sound once all the work has been carried out! Looks good already, someones gonna be a tad jealous of his Bro's T5's performance?????? lol.

sebasteeno
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 21:50
It'll be sound once all the work has been carried out! Looks good already, someones gonna be a tad jealous of his Bro's T5's performance?????? lol.Having driven both ill actually say that mines faster and smoother in the low down revs but his in comparison is half dead then a total animal once the turbo spools up. I can understand why T5 owners go through tyres in a few thousand miles as the turbo kick is very good but ill stick with my smooth and very nippy all rounder for now.

cameron
Tuesday 20th October 2009, 21:56
What was the paint code then ? :doh:

leet5r
Saturday 24th October 2009, 22:15
Well its off to the mechs tomorrow to have a new cambelt/tensioner/idler etc, new brakes all round, drop links, new front shocks and some lowering. Ive been busy over the last couple of days spraying wheels, washing, polishing, touching in and it now looks like this.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk145/sebasteeno/Doms%20T5/IMG_1549.jpg

And heres a shot of the bros V70s together
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk145/sebasteeno/Doms%20T5/IMG_1547.jpg

liken the work guys. not sure about the black on the wheels as you have to keep the tyres gelled all the time so they look new . a think a antcirite would have been better lol , still good tho keep up the good work