PDA

View Full Version : S60 T5 2002 - Feels slow or in my head?

MattM
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 10:01
Hi Guys,

Before I got my 52 plate S60 T5 I owned an mg zr diesel which was putting out around 130bhp, it felt quick, but I know most of that was due to the all or nothing power delivery. Now I have the T5 which has 250bhp, I can't seem to tell if the car is slow or it's just how the power is delivered. There's no rush of power or push you back in your seat sensation, and this was flooring it in 3rd gear at 3.5k revs. Granted it gained speed quickly, more so than my previous car, but I was expecting something more. Is this in my head? Is this how the power is delivered in the T5? Any clarification would be very appreciated! Thanks.

KPB
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 10:22
A standard S60/V70 T5 does have a smooth power curve and hides it's speed somewhat. There isnt really a pronounced, diesel-like, kick in the back that you normally associate with turbo cars. Subjectively, it may feel slower than the published stats or comparison with cars in the same bracket, but if you do a rough count in your head as the needle whips round, you can normally tell whether they yours is as quick as publicised.

From memory mine (when standard) felt strong from 4k rpm onwards, or at 80mph upwards. Below those speeds it took a fair shove of the throttle to extract anything that felt above 200bhp.

Many owners soon crave a more obvious power hike and this is where remaps come in. Several - especially RICA - produce far more savage acceleration and transform the car...to the extent it makes you wonder why Volvo didnt make the car like that in the first place.

That's not to say you don't have a mechanical problem. It may be best to have the codes pulled to check for any signs of ETM, MAF or boost issues?

lance
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 10:40
P2 dont feel quick, get some Vpower in her and get her mapped

cornclose
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 13:15
Mine has a performance air filter, remap (recently tweaked to give more grunt) and water/methanol injection, and it's only just starting to feel quick, but I want more. A stainless sports exhaust is next...

It is deceiving though. The phase 2 geartronic T5's have very long legs, and gearing seems quite high in 3rd upwards, you only realise how fast you're accelerating when you see other cars rapidly dissappearing in the rearview mirror. Especially when you know they're trying to catch you.

MattM
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 16:04
Seems like it's normal then. The car is definately quick, no doubt. It's a strange sensation accelerating flat out in a 250bhp car and not feeling like you are going to be crushed into your seat.

That's not to say you don't have a mechanical problem. It may be best to have the codes pulled to check for any signs of ETM, MAF or boost issues?

How do I get the codes checked?

MattM
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 16:51
Best get saving for a remap then.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 19:36
I think the best way of describing the power distribution is that its constant, giving it a smooth feel. They may not be the fastest cars accelerating BUT they do so at the same rate well over a ton.

exfuzzyt5
Sunday 18th October 2009, 07:54
Check the connection block/wires to the MAP sensor on the inlet tube to the ETM from the intercooler - there are 2 sensors side by side - its the one with 2 wires brown/black - green/orange(from memory)

Had a very similar problem - flat as a fart - showing no faults - I have a boost gauge fitted (luckily) it would only boost 1/2 what it should do - one of the wires was broken inside the connector block - fixed it - back to normal

hope this helps

Mark

MattM
Sunday 18th October 2009, 10:16
Am I right in thinking that fitting a boost gauge would be a good way to know if it's putting out the correct power?

cornclose
Sunday 18th October 2009, 10:27
Am I right in thinking that fitting a boost gauge would be a good way to know if it's putting out the correct power?

It's a very good start, yes.

MattM
Sunday 18th October 2009, 10:30
Excellent. Any recommendations for nice tidy boost gauges?

cornclose
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 10:46
I got my gauge and pod from http://www.rspec.co.uk

cornclose
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 10:54
Here are some photos of it:-

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24215

MattM
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 12:40
Any tips on fitting?

Also what leather cleaner/conditioner do you use?

volvokid
Thursday 22nd October 2009, 13:10
Any tips on fitting?

Also what leather cleaner/conditioner do you use?

This is a good kit http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/raceglaze-leather-care-kit-kits.html I use the conditioner and it does help restore the leather smell, I'm currently using swissvax leather cleaner before i buy the kit. Here's the kit i have just now http://www.swissvax.co.uk/shopping/basket.asp?method=add