PDA

View Full Version : Stiff accelerator pedal

sebasteeno
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 07:58
Went to Durham on sunday to pick up a 1998R V70 T5 for my brother which has a fair few issues that are sortable but one thing is that the accelerator pedal is very stiff and after driving it the 140 miles back to Hull my bro said his leg was fecking killing him. The seller suggested it may be something to do with the throttle cable but i thought they didnt have them on these and were fly by wire or would that just be my V70 98S 2.5T?

siamblue
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 10:11
My R did the same thing, a cable kindly supplied and fitted by Al115 on here sorted the problem and the car was even quicker than it was before,

normally 98 r plates are 4.4 motronic throttle body and throttle cable along with coil leads and rotor arm,

the 99 S plate cars are as you say like your 2.5 with coil packs and an etm,

Gary.

ps if you need any bits get in touch as i am having a big clear out ;)

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 10:51
My R did the same thing, a cable kindly supplied and fitted by Al115 on here sorted the problem and the car was even quicker than it was before,

normally 98 r plates are 4.4 motronic throttle body and throttle cable along with coil leads and rotor arm,

the 99 S plate cars are as you say like your 2.5 with coil packs and an etm,

Gary.

ps if you need any bits get in touch as i am having a big clear out ;)

I never realised how awful the throttle was on the T5 until I got the R, so may have a fiddle with that to resolve it.

PaulZX
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 11:01
try fittin a 960 throttle housing, then talk to me about horrible throttle movement.... :(

ON or OFF, that's your movement.....

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 11:11
try fittin a 960 throttle housing, then talk to me about horrible throttle movement.... :(

ON or OFF, that's your movement.....

But I have a handsomely toned right leg in consequence - it is quite in demand for right-leg body-doubles in the movies :smileypul

RollingThunder
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 12:12
I changed my accelerator cable 2 weeks ago as it was very stiff and obviously corroded. Took about an hour all in and the result is superb - MUCH lighter action and it makes the car feel very nimble :) A pretty straightforward job too.

v70keith
Tuesday 24th November 2009, 01:12
Thought my '98 V70 was getting sluggish and I was getting weak in my old age!, but changed the accelerator cable and it was like driving a new car - very responsive, light to the touch (by comparison) with a very slight improvement in fuel consumption probably due to better control of right leg muscles! :-)