PDA

View Full Version : Policeman gets it wrong TWICE !!!!

cameron
Monday 12th October 2009, 13:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCG4sieuUsE

flyingbrick
Monday 12th October 2009, 13:28
What a wonderful job they do to keep us safe....:saint:

Dangerous Dave
Monday 12th October 2009, 13:33
How does he get it wrong?

Lorry driver shouldn't have been in 3rd lane, there was no traffic there at all, wierd.

cameron
Monday 12th October 2009, 13:39
If you watch the lorry was moving over as it narrowed down to a 2 lane junction ;)

The lorry driver should have looked, fair do's, but the police driver should have antisipated him moving over.

The lorry driver was going into his correct lane for the manouver he was doing but may not have looked, the police driver should have backed off when he seen the lorry moving over.

He even said himself he seen him moving over from a distance, so why not slow down, plus he never had his sirens or blues and two's on, only his headlights flashing, maybe the lorry driver thought he was flashing him across, as he was indicating :D

Flatout Phil
Monday 12th October 2009, 14:41
The commentary says he has more accidents than most. I think we can see why. That old red mist - disaster waiting to happen. I think he is letting his side down badly being seen like this - nobody is perfect, but this guy really comes across as a sanctimonious plonker. Self-justifying, self-important, not the sort of copper I pay my taxes to look after me. Loads of good uns out there in traffic (neighbour is retired Police instructor - some good stories there) - although I have to say I see some AWFUL Panda car driving in London - pity he seems to think he is so great.

T4FLY
Monday 12th October 2009, 15:00
Don't see why the lorry driver needed to move over into lane 3 the first place. Nightmare situation passing a vehicle at that speed and for that to happen! Not sure that the Blues and sirens would have made any difference.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 12th October 2009, 15:50
There was nothin in the second lane.

Rnash2002
Monday 12th October 2009, 16:16
Sod the police man what about the poor Volvo!!!

cameron
Monday 12th October 2009, 16:23
Yeah nice big gouge out the side of it, still it could have been a lot worse.

Lucky it had the bars along the side or he could have been under it ;)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 12th October 2009, 16:27
The commentary says he has more accidents than most. I think we can see why. That old red mist - disaster waiting to happen. I think he is letting his side down badly being seen like this - nobody is perfect, but this guy really comes across as a sanctimonious plonker. Self-justifying, self-important, not the sort of copper I pay my taxes to look after me. Loads of good uns out there in traffic (neighbour is retired Police instructor - some good stories there) - although I have to say I see some AWFUL Panda car driving in London - pity he seems to think he is so great.
I agree that the police officer should have anticipated the move and at the very least put blues and twos on as he approached the roundabout. The sign clearly visible in the vid and it is likely that the lorry driver was anticipating turning right. But it is odd that the lane 3 disappeared later on just as the impact happened - so why would the lorry driver need to come over so far, unless he was unfamiliar with the junction.

PC Speedy not just assumed that the lorry wouldn't move to lane 3, especially if turning right at the roundabout. Lorry driver should have used mirrors better. I think it was 1/2 and 1/2. Legitimate use of high speed comes with even greater responsibility.

I feel there was some element of "collar at all cost." in combination of some pretty poor observation from the HGV driver.

Funnily no mention of prosecution was seen in the vid?

p fandango
Monday 12th October 2009, 16:30
if you look at the previous road sign it looked like an island was coming up, maybe the truck was preparing to turn right at the island

as the police car caught him on a sweeping left the truck driver would of had most of his vision of the police car blocked by his own trailer

not once in that video despite the empty motorway did the police car use the left/inside lane

didn't think he needed blues & two's while doing lmost twice the speed limit?

The Flying Moose
Monday 12th October 2009, 18:00
if you look at the previous road sign it looked like an island was coming up, maybe the truck was preparing to turn right at the island

Funny thats exactly what the lorry driver said! I know that road too well and that junction is particularly poor as the motorway ends at a roundabout which is just after a corner.

Second accident with the spin though could have happened to anyone and he did control the car well to keep it in lane 3.

wellsy
Monday 12th October 2009, 18:12
should of had blues and twos on at that speed , as cameron said the truck driver may have thought flashing headlights meant for him to pull across .
the copper should have known the lanes narrowed to 2 at that point and adjusted his speed accordingly .
i dont think flashing headlights at that speed are enough of a visual alert to other motorist's should have had blues on .
maybe they should give him a car thats a bit less crash friendly than a volvo and see how brave he is then with his high speed driving :)

bsr295
Monday 12th October 2009, 18:54
best vid ive ever seen thought plod was perfect........result shame about the volvo though.

p fandango
Monday 12th October 2009, 18:58
shame about the volvo though.
wonder if someone on the forum has got it now lol

Dangerous Dave
Monday 12th October 2009, 19:23
Oh yeah my bad, there is a roundabout. But he still went into lane 3 when there were still two lanes left.

But then what the hell was he doin at 130 mph on the approach to a roundabout?

And, the video says that his headlights were flashing, but there's no reflection off the roundabout sign or on the back of the lorry. But when he turns the siren on, the reflection is noticeable on the lorry and every sign, Hmmmmmm interesting.

p fandango
Monday 12th October 2009, 19:28
And, the video says that his headlights were flashing, but there's no reflection off the roundabout sign or on the back of the lorry. But when he turns the siren on, the reflection is noticeable on the lorry and every sign, Hmmmmmm interesting.
i hope your no trying to say he was telling fibs, like when he was questioning the driver asks him how he didn't see him with his police lights on & points to the roof mounted blues which are now flashing after the crash

Cubes
Monday 12th October 2009, 19:41
i hope your no trying to say he was telling fibs, like when he was questioning the driver asks him how he didn't see him with his police lights on & points to the roof mounted blues which are now flashing after the crash

If you notice, he puts the blue lights and sirens on after the collision so as to pull the HGV over. He'd even said prior to that he'd had only his flashing headlights on before the crash. Whether the HGV driver mistook them as a "Come on out" gesture is irrelevant for 2 reasons:
1 - Depends if they were flashing alternatively;
2 - Flashing headlamps are a signal to indicate your presence on the road, not to be read as a signal to pull out.
As a professional driver, the HGV guy should have been checking his mirrors more often. If he was then he should have realised that if the car's not there for the first check, but is for the second, then it must be approaching at some speed, right? Something else he should have taken into account.

Also, why would the cop want to use the left hand lane???

p fandango
Monday 12th October 2009, 19:52
If you notice, he puts the blue lights and sirens on after the collision so as to pull the HGV over. He'd even said prior to that he'd had only his flashing headlights on before the crash.
when he's talking to the HGV driver at the side of the road (while not wearing a hi-viz) after stopping him he asks "how he didn't see a police car with its lights on approaching", trying to insinuate he'd got his full blues on which he hadn't at the time of the collision

Whether the HGV driver mistook them as a "Come on out" gesture is irrelevant for 2 reasons:
1 - Depends if they were flashing alternatively;
2 - Flashing headlamps are a signal to indicate your presence on the road, not to be read as a signal to pull out.
As a professional driver, the HGV guy should have been checking his mirrors more often. If he was then he should have realised that if the car's not there for the first check, but is for the second, then it must be approaching at some speed, right? Something else he should have taken into account.
as i said earlier the HGV's mirrors would of mainly been full of his own trailer as they were on a sweeping left which wasn't helped by the police car being even more on his blind side by sticking to the middle lane. Plus the speed difference would between the truck doing 56mph & the car doing 130mph wouldn't of left him much time to do anything

Also, why would the cop want to use the left hand lane???
because it was empty, the highway code says to always keep left (except if in a BMW lol) & there was no reason for him not to, if there had been a sliproad & risk of cars pulling out then i can understand it

Cubes
Monday 12th October 2009, 20:10
"because it was empty, the highway code says to always keep left (except if in a BMW lol) & there was no reason for him not to, if there had been a sliproad & risk of cars pulling out then i can understand it"

LOL re: BMW comment!!

Re: Mirrors - The cop car would have been visible in the HGV's nearside mirror.

Re: Choice of lanes - Advanced drivers are taught to position your vehicle to allow for the best/farthest view of the road ahead. On a left hand bend that is out to the right.

I disagree with you comment about the cops 'insinuation' because that is your interpretation of what is said. Maybe he was a little ambiguous, but to me there was no insinuation.

Storm-Troll
Monday 12th October 2009, 20:42
The Lorry Driver wouldnt have seen the Poice car coming because the road was a gradual left hand bend and when your on a left hand bend you Cant see past the end of the trailer at that angle on the Offside like you can when your on the straight. and the Artic driver had no need to check the nearside mirror as he wasnt turning left. I have driven Artics for 15 years and Know for a fact that on that bend... If I had checked my mirrors before I moved over I wouldnt have seen the police car as the speed he was travelling. when I checked the mirrors he wouldnt have been in the view because of the angle of the trailer on the bend... and the Police car SHOULD have had his 2s and blues on if He was going over the legal speed limit.... but in the 2nd crash He did well to keep the car in the fast lane till stopped...

p fandango
Monday 12th October 2009, 20:43
Re: Mirrors - The cop car would have been visible in the HGV's nearside mirror.

Re: Choice of lanes - Advanced drivers are taught to position your vehicle to allow for the best/farthest view of the road ahead. On a left hand bend that is out to the right.
that makes sense, but being over to the right wouldn't of helped the trucks visiblity of him in the nearside mirror

I disagree with you comment about the cops 'insinuation' because that is your interpretation of what is said. Maybe he was a little ambiguous, but to me there was no insinuation.
yeh thats down to personal opinion of the officers comments, i'd be interested to know the final outcome after it was investigated

phil_woods
Monday 12th October 2009, 20:51
The officer should of presented his vehicle to the right hand side of the road to show the wagon driver where he was and to move over, passing on the left is still undertaking and shouldn't really be done unless you can justify it. The wagon driver shouldn't have been going into that lane. If you watch the vid the police vehicle speed only drops off about 100yds before the wagon, he probably should have anticipated it earlier. I'm going 50/50 too on this one i would have sh@ my pants if I was driving the police car tho lol

Cubes
Monday 12th October 2009, 21:23
"and the Police car SHOULD have had his 2s and blues on if He was going over the legal speed limit"

Not true. It's not a legal obligation. And here, my bidding ends on the matter!
And it's true about the soiled undies!

Dangerous Dave
Monday 12th October 2009, 21:36
I still think he didn't have any lights flashing at all.

p fandango
Monday 12th October 2009, 21:55
I still think he didn't have any lights flashing at all.
looking back at the video & i think you could be right, right up until contact there was not a single sign of any lights reflecting of anything not even the back of the truck. Yet once he gets back behind the truck to pull him over the headlights are very clearly visable, & i was surprised how far away the roadsigns light up from. Altho he obviously put on the full blues after the incident the light off the back of the truck is pure white

mexybhouy
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 15:01
Tosser in my book!
I don't think he knew too much about his blowout on the motorway, think he just held on for grim death.. foot firmly planted on brake!

PaulZX
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 18:04
he should've dropped to the inside away from the lorry, he had loads of time to do it, and I bet his sphinchter was twitching during that spin out, was it 4 complete revolutions? :eye-poppi

snoop69
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 19:03
Regardless of lane position by the officer,roundabouts etc the lorry should
not have been in lane 3 full stop.

smithy
Wednesday 14th October 2009, 09:03
ive justed watched the video and it is 50/50 blame the police should of had his blues on ,but the artic driver should not been in the third lane because he would of noticed that the lanes go from 3 to 2 also he is alowed to be in the right hand lane if the signs say to turn right you have to be in the right hand lane like these signs do.when driving trucks you can see alot more infront of you than the average driver can so the artic driver should of known which lane to be in

snoop69
Wednesday 14th October 2009, 09:20
So 'undue care & attention' on behalf of the lorry driver for illegally entering
a lane that ended 200ft up the road :argue: lol