PDA

View Full Version : Power steering fluid change

Niles
Monday 12th October 2009, 09:11
I cant find any record of how to do it. Im assuming that a good quality AFT will do the job nicely. Is that true? Also, how do i drain it? Basically, HOW DO I DO IT? lol

Yosser
Monday 12th October 2009, 10:05
I'm not sure what other people do, but I just used a large syringe to draw out as much as possible from the reservoir then replaced it with ATF as you said.

I've been doing this for the last few oil changes so hopefully most of teh old stuff is gone now!

I dare say you could probably remove a line and drain the tank, but I'm way too lazy for that ;)

Dangerous Dave
Monday 12th October 2009, 10:46
Just undo and take out the pipes on the rack and open the reservoir cap, and drain into a tub. Thats how I'd do it.

Haynes tells you how to bleed the system once the new fluid is in.

Rufe
Monday 12th October 2009, 20:43
I would use ATF 3 (Red), otherwise volvo would now recommend the green coloured PAS oil, but you can use either, but one or the other... not mixed. 1 Litre is enough to do a change, as total capacity is actually 0.8 Litres.

We sell the green PAS fluid [30741424] at £11.09 for 1 litre (plus postage), but by the time you add the postage £3.45 2nd class recorded delivery you may be better off getting it locally, it retails at £15.18 a litre, so when bought on its own here its not a big saving.

Simon :)

cameron
Monday 12th October 2009, 22:45
Handy to know :B_thumb:

Cheers Si.

Rufe
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 10:57
I should add that after 1999 generally all volvos had the green (low temp) PAS fluid, earlier ones had red, but as said you can use either types as long as its one or the other.

Simon

nobananas
Tuesday 13th October 2009, 20:29
We use a special machine a work to drain and flush the system. Basically it has two pieps that go into the reservoir, one sits at the top and sucks the fluid into a container, the other sits in the bottom and pumps in fresh fluid (or flushing agent). You could do a similar job by removing the return pipe to the reservoir and placing it in a container then run the engine and have someone cycle through lock to lock on the steering whilst you keep the reservoir topped up, this way you will be sure to have pumped all the old fluid from the system.