PDA

View Full Version : 850/S70 questions?

v6en
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 16:19
hi all, i'm thinking about buying an old 850 or S70 as a second car to help us out and try to keep the miles off of my T4 and ross's rover. can anyone tell me if they are relatively easy and inexpensive to get parts for? i know it would be simpler to buy an old vauxhall or ford but i'd really like another volvo tbh. any tips on what probs to look out for when viewing would be great too.

thanks in advance,

jacq.

spesh
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 16:24
Parts are very cheap I thought from German french and swedish, eg Brembo front discs 280mm £21 each plus vat, Brembo's mind!!!!!!!!!, rear shocks £33 each!
Guess your not tooking for a T5 are you???

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 16:27
Parts are very easy to come by for the 850/S70 - relatively cheap too. The T5 wont be that much more expensive to buy than a 2ltr version so you may as well buy one that packs a punch too!! :)

x

v6en
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 16:44
cool! i would consider buying a T5 but it would literally be buttons i want to spend buying something, and i don't want to end up modifying it as well lol

jacq.

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 16:47
cool! i would consider buying a T5 but it would literally be buttons i want to spend buying something, and i don't want to end up modifying it as well lol

jacq.

You and Ross are clued up enough to know a good one from a bad one - you'd get a high mileage saloon for around £1800 - £2000 and if your lucky even less!! Get yourself a T5 - you know you want to!! :B_steerin (and I promise we wont hassle you into modifying it.......well, at least not for the first 5 minutes!!)

x

Al115
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 17:47
I'd have thought they'd be easier to get parts for than the S/V40s? More of them around.

I'd suggest avoiding ME7 cars if you're after a runaround - the slight performance advantage it provides is offset in the daily driver by the potential for massive cost when it goes wrong!

Good luck :)

Alastair

meffs
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 18:37
Parts are very cheap I thought from German french and swedish, eg Brembo front discs 280mm £21 each plus vat, Brembo's mind!!!!!!!!!, rear shocks £33 each!
Guess your not tooking for a T5 are you???
Where are the Brembo's £21=vat Spesh?

v6en
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 20:46
A local dealer gave me the phone number of a guy who buys and sells older volvos, and he's got a couple i might be interested in , so going to see tomorrow :)

jacq.

spesh
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 20:51
Where are the Brembo's £21=vat Spesh?
In German French and Swedish!!!!

spesh
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 20:52
A local dealer gave me the phone number of a guy who buys and sells older volvos, and he's got a couple i might be interested in , so going to see tomorrow :)

jacq.
Good luck with the car shopping!!!!!!!!!

Martinr
Wednesday 8th June 2005, 10:11
Hi meffs

German, Swedish and French is a car parts distributor here in the UK. This is their website www.gsfcarparts.com

They sell parts for VW's, Renaults, Saabs and VOLVOS at good prices often OE brands at up to 70% less than the dealers. Hope this helps.

meffs
Wednesday 8th June 2005, 13:01
Cheers for the web address Martin!

Meffs

Ross9
Wednesday 8th June 2005, 22:51
well i went to this guy's place today to see the wares :) the 850 and S70 were well out the budget, but he did have a 940 saloon, J reg very clean and cared for, 171K. it has an oil leak, but if it turns out not to me major i may just go for it and make him an offer ( it's only £600) and he will get it mot'd first and the timing belt has been changed.

whaddya fink :p?

jacq