PDA

View Full Version : auto box external oil cooler

mattp
Sunday 11th October 2009, 13:22
I'm looking to fit an external cooler to the auto box on my T5, have found a few possible options on ebay, what sort of size do they need to be to be effective? i'm looking at a 10 row currently, too small? too big?

Also does anyone know the thread size of the unions on the 'box itself? I would assume a BSP of some size or other? I have access to make hoses at work so will make up some bespoke ones for the new cooler.

Any info gratefully recieved

Cheers

Volvostorm
Sunday 11th October 2009, 14:48
The pipes to the currant oil cooler for the 'box aren't threaded, they clip on, I changed my radiator yesterday and the connections then.

mattp
Sunday 11th October 2009, 15:35
sorry I ment actually on the box itself, I know the joint to the cooler in the rad is achieved using clips, unless they have those fittings both ends? haven't dug round to find out.

Volvostorm
Sunday 11th October 2009, 16:49
Sorry mate, no idea, I have a manual!

cookie
Sunday 11th October 2009, 16:55
Volvo do one for about 130 quid, the cooler pipes plug into rad (RHS if facing car) AFAIK you just unplug bottom hose, plug that into extra cooler and then new pipe from extra cooler to rad (to remove hoses, you just squeeze the yellow lugs and pull out hose - worth replacing the yellow clips if you remove hoses (about 2 quid each) as they can weaken and failure is likely to destroy box

HTH

Ben

mattp
Sunday 11th October 2009, 17:15
I appreciate that I could just buy the kit from volvo, however the idea is to buy a cooler from ebay for around £20, make pipes and mounting brackets myself, make a bit of a project of it and save a fair few quid in the process.

Volvostorm
Sunday 11th October 2009, 18:05
Look at the new volvo I fitted yesterday, I would say all the autos run cooles, so, its just a case of running the pipes to the new one

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 11th October 2009, 21:57
I used to do the kit but the idea you can do it for less than the prices of the Volvo kit is simply not true.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=899

You need to buy decent pipework! I used teflon coated lines from Pirtek and a 13 row oil cooler.

Seriously better off saving for the Volvo kit as it comes with the right mount points and extra tubing.

Rufe
Monday 12th October 2009, 20:11
i can supply a genuine aux oil cooler kit, though they do specifically state for "P1 series 1999 and on", and then "not for turbo petrol engines". However I know there have been quite a few people who have made them fit but exactly what the problem is, if any, I honestly dont know.

I sold one of these kits up recently and here is a copy of the quote:

Oil Cooler Kit: [9499131] (*Sweden, 2 to 3 days)
Retail Price £191.18 / Our Price £162.51

Postage:
£10.00 DHL 48 (Guaranteed 2 working day service, from time of dispatch)

Here is a screenshot showing the volvo accessory book: (CLICK IMAGE TO SEE IN FULL)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/rufe_v6/p1oilcooler1.jpg

You can see there that it does list an earlier alternative, up to 1998, but this is not available any longer. Part number 9492870 has expired.

If you are interested in one of these please send me a pm or email and i can give you an order reference number and ordering details.

Simon