PDA

View Full Version : Anyone close to Nottingham who knows Volvo Electrics?

asbo1980
Saturday 10th October 2009, 22:30
I need to find the niggling battery drain on my C70 and just wondered if anyone lived close to Hucknall in Nottingham where i live who has a circuit tester or with a knowledge of Electrics etc that could perhaps meet me for an hour tops to look at my car and help me find this short i have obviously got!
I will help you of course!
I went out and got a circuit tester from Maplins, and guess what i even got the wrong one and they will not even take it back as i cant find the receipt, iam just totally hopeless at electrics and need a bit of help please, thanks
If you can help please PM me or emil me at asbo1980@googlemail.com

nobananas
Saturday 10th October 2009, 23:15
Most cheap multimeters will have an amperage setting (usually with a 10 amp max draw setting). You need to disconnect your battery positive lead then connect the multimeter between the positive terminal and the battery. You should be okay then to lock the vehicle as you would do normally then monitor the meter for the next 5-10 mins or so. The readings should gradually reduce as the various systems of the car shut down. Your final reading shouldn't be greater then say 0.3-0.5 of an amp (preferably lower). If the readings are higher then that, what I tend to do is start pulling fuses until the current draw drops off then investigate the circuit that fuse protects. A word of warning though, if you pull too much current through the meter (like putting on the headlights) you will pop the fuse in the meter (or fry it completely if it's a really cheap one !) . I trust you have checked the usual suspects like a boot light staying on etc ?

asbo1980
Sunday 11th October 2009, 15:59
I have managed to borrow a DL114 3-in-1 e tester but guess what it has no instructions! Any idea how to use this?

nobananas
Sunday 11th October 2009, 20:19
Have a look here

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TMDL114.html?source=adwords&kw=dl114&gclid=CNDe3YPZtZ0CFVFf4wodp3gekg

Although the current setting only appears to be up to 200 mA which won't be enough.