PDA

View Full Version : firing on only 4

jackal2513
Friday 9th October 2009, 22:32
ive narrowed my problem down

seems that sometimes, and only sometimes, the car drop a cylinder
seems to happen when she is cold but you can sort of drive through it and she instantly regains all cylinders and carries on as normal

next time i get the problem i am going to stop and swap the leads/plugs to see if i can move it around (but i had new plugs quite recently)

is there a V70 known weak point ? given the way it comes and goes instantaneously i'd say this was an ignition thing so i am thinking besides leads/plugs maybe dizzy arm or rotor

Al115
Friday 9th October 2009, 23:03
What year is the car?

jackal2513
Friday 9th October 2009, 23:37
hiya Al, its a 1998 2.4t

Porcine_Aviator
Saturday 10th October 2009, 00:21
You could try cleaning your plug leads or changing them for new ones. Check the dizzy cap and make sure it's clean and free from moisture and dirt, both inside and out.

Check wiring and make sure it's break free and screwed down tight, check the earth from battery to body and the live side make sure they are clean and tight.

Check your alternator is giving the right amount of charge, and there are no loose connections.

That should keep you going unless you have already done them. If you have, and I'm not being insulting, go over them again. :)

jackal2513
Saturday 10th October 2009, 00:32
thanks PA, very helpful

jackal2513
Saturday 10th October 2009, 11:24
is it normal that i can't rev past 4000rpm in neutral or drive ?

also, can't see the distributer.... followed the coil pack wires and they seem to go very deep fore and aft. Is it buried deep down somewhere ?

hmm.. presumbly there is no dizzy in my engine

jdavis
Saturday 10th October 2009, 17:40
would it not possibly be me7 being '98, therefore it's individual coilpacks. The not revving past 4k in neutral is quite common, supposed to do it. Should go past in drive though.

jimka
Saturday 10th October 2009, 21:13
"firing on only 4" - a civic owners dream.

could be a faulty sparkie, try and tune up and see how u go.

my t4 use to miss and seem to drop a cylinder, it was due to a faulty fuel pump.

Rufe
Sunday 11th October 2009, 17:52
This sounds like its going to be a 1999 to me too, (ME7). If so you will have individual coil packs instead of a distributor and leads, and the coil packs can be known to fail.

if you want to check the correct model era of your car look at the 17 digit VIN number, and check out the 10th digit from the left, this indicates model year.

If the 10th digit is a
W = 1998
X = 1999 (ME7)

I hope this helps

Simon

jackal2513
Sunday 11th October 2009, 23:07
sorry guys

yes you are right, its a 1999

individual coil packs once you whip the cover off

in typical fashion, the car won't now exhibit the problem so I will have to wait some more till i can swap some stuff around