PDA

View Full Version : Aircon Compressor

The Flying Moose
Thursday 8th October 2009, 22:33
For a while my aircon compressor has been whining away as the bearings are shot, finally decided to part cash and buy a new one (recon with guarantee) but I have never gone into the realms of replacing an aircon compressor. Its a Zedexell or something buts its a genuine Volvo part.

Does anyone have abit of a dummies guide? I assume you need to drain refrigerant then its just a case of removing belt, pipes, unbolting and swapping.

All advice greatly appreciated folks.

Al115
Friday 9th October 2009, 09:30
I don't think this is a DIY job... if the system needs to be depressurised?

Flatout Phil
Friday 9th October 2009, 11:00
I don't think this is a DIY job... if the system needs to be depressurised?

I agree. Since the system will have to be regassed (and the existing gas disposed of - unless it has gone already, in which case you need to find out why) it probably needs a general service anyway if the pump is shot. It may be a good opportunity to renew the condensor as well if that is getting a bit corroded. I am sure there will be a good mobile aircon company near you. One of those jobs that is best left to someone with the right gear. The bloke I use (no use to you in Wiltshire) understands 850s really well - I can't think why - so I suggest ringing around.
If you have no gas, the aircon man will have to pressurise the system to test it, and each recharge costs £40 - £50. So just for that, I would have the system tested BEFORE you remove the existing gas to save a few quid.

On the subject of regassing. Avoid KwikFit - I have been to three branches, and around here they don't understand the Volvo system: that there is only one regas point not the more common two valves. Now he would say it, but my trusted aircon man says that KF is a false economy since they do not have the knowledge to identify leaks, and will regas without a proper system inspection.

The Flying Moose
Friday 9th October 2009, 20:06
I have a little secret around getting the re-gas for free thats so thats not a problem, the existing compressor has both shot bearings and a crack (leaking) so its practically empty.

Do you think a changeover will be easy if there is no gas in the system?

siamblue
Saturday 10th October 2009, 01:17
I have a little secret around getting the re-gas for free thats so thats not a problem, the existing compressor has both shot bearings and a crack (leaking) so its practically empty.

Do you think a changeover will be easy if there is no gas in the system?

Have you already bought the said pump? also what car have you got as these pump rarely seem to fail that i know of, if you have a part number then i can see if i have a spare one here,

Gary

timbo_1975
Saturday 10th October 2009, 10:26
to add - replace the dryer whilst you are at it. It would be very much false economy to risk a new compressor with a 10+yo dryer.

nobananas
Saturday 10th October 2009, 15:41
Providing the system has been depressurized then replacing the pump is no harder then say changing the alternator. (do not attempt it if there is any pressure in the system). One other safety point, when you disconnect the pipework on the rear of the pump make sure you wear decent latex or nitrile gloves. The green protective/lubricating oil that is added to the system is very toxic and you should be careful not to get it on your skin.

The Flying Moose
Saturday 10th October 2009, 16:00
Have you already bought the said pump? also what car have you got as these pump rarely seem to fail that i know of, if you have a part number then i can see if i have a spare one here,

Gary

Yes already have the new compressor it came in the post yesterday. Its a 2002 V70 and its definately shot, makes horrid noises when you connect into the belt system, so I temporarily got a belt to go round everything other than the compresor as it was damn annoying. The replacement is the same part number as the existing one. Thanks for you kind offer though.

to add - replace the dryer whilst you are at it. It would be very much false economy to risk a new compressor with a 10+yo dryer.

Im not sure I understand what you mean by that, could you clarify?

Providing the system has been depressurized then replacing the pump is no harder then say changing the alternator. (do not attempt it if there is any pressure in the system). One other safety point, when you disconnect the pipework on the rear of the pump make sure you wear decent latex or nitrile gloves. The green protective/lubricating oil that is added to the system is very toxic and you should be careful not to get it on your skin.

Brill thats exactly what I wanted to know. Access seems to be the only problem at the moment, have you changed one before? If so is there a sequence of parts to remove to get access?

Cheers

nobananas
Saturday 10th October 2009, 20:17
I seem to remember having to remove the power steering pump and associated brackets, then the alternator underneath that before gaining access to the aircon compressor. I don't think I took it out from underneath or through the wheel arch but to be honest it was a long time ago and I've slept since then.