PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak....

PHIL V70R
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 22:49
hi all heres hopeing that you can help..what i need is a distributor oil seal for a 97-98 v70R..carnt find one any ware..and a drivers seat for the same car as i want to make it mint if poss. cheers phil.....

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 23:42
You on about the camshaft seal behind the Dizzy? Those come in the head gasket sets, or you could order one from Rufe, I'm sure he could get one.

Billybhoy1978
Thursday 8th October 2009, 08:40
sorry to slightly hijack the thread but are these seals just a case of taking the distributor off and replacing? Just wondering if its easy enough then its worth a try for me to find the 'elusive' oil leak I have!

readview
Thursday 8th October 2009, 08:59
Just a thought but it may be relevant,the lower of the two torx bolts that holds the camshaft sensor (just behind the dizzy) has been known to seep oil through.The bolt hole is not blind and goes right through,the oil comes from inside the cam carrier area.Easy fix,remove the bolt and refit with thread lock/bit of instant gasket.

Billybhoy1978
Thursday 8th October 2009, 09:10
Readview I take it you are refering to the camshaft position sensor? And if you are would it seep enough for me to go through 1/2 litre of oil a month??

readview
Thursday 8th October 2009, 09:31
Yes that's the one,1/2 litre sound a bit excessive but i suppose it depends how much the car is used during that period.

Billybhoy1978
Thursday 8th October 2009, 09:34
Just a couple of hundred miles a month really. Well I guess its worth trying anyway cos Im getting sick of it! I would love the car if I could find the leak but Im afraid I kinda hate it right now lol

Rufe
Thursday 8th October 2009, 16:41
hi all heres hopeing that you can help..what i need is a distributor oil seal for a 97-98 v70R..carnt find one any ware..and a drivers seat for the same car as i want to make it mint if poss. cheers phil.....
Hi Mate,

We can supply you a rear cam seal if required. When you say you cant get one anywhere, have you tried any main dealers at all as any dealer can all supply these. I wont scare you with the price of a new drivers seat though, you may be better off sourcing a good second hand one, speak to adam at Readview garage about this if you haven't done so already.

I can supply this rear camshaft sealing ring for £8.95 including vat and including royal mail recorded delivery

If your interested please send me a pm or email for a reference number and order details,

Simon :)

PHIL V70R
Thursday 8th October 2009, 21:53
Hi Mate,

We can supply you a rear cam seal if required. When you say you cant get one anywhere, have you tried any main dealers at all as any dealer can all supply these. I wont scare you with the price of a new drivers seat though, you may be better off sourcing a good second hand one, speak to adam at Readview garage about this if you haven't done so already.

I can supply this rear camshaft sealing ring for £8.95 including vat and including royal mail recorded delivery

If your interested please send me a pm or email for a reference number and order details,

Simon :)
thanks 4 that mate i have got the camshaft oil seals the guy told me its the distributor oil seal..as i no jack about v70 volvos and more about bikes..lol..it is comeing down from the dizzy and puts down a good bit over night ware i live the nearist volvo dealer is 35 mile away so it a good run..looks like i may be doin it soon as i have a long trip planed thanks 4 the info any more help???

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 8th October 2009, 22:05
The distributor has no oil seal, it just fits into an offset notch on the end of the cam, the seal is actually on the cam itself behind the dizzy. Just whip the dizzy off, and you'll see it

PHIL V70R
Thursday 8th October 2009, 22:19
The distributor has no oil seal, it just fits into an offset notch on the end of the cam, the seal is actually on the cam itself behind the dizzy. Just whip the dizzy off, and you'll see it

cheers my good man..i will have a look 2 moz and let u no what i find,its hard to think that it can give so much agro...if this fails then its time to set fire to the dam thing..lol

Rufe
Thursday 8th October 2009, 22:30
thats the seal i am on about, bomb speaks sense!

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 8th October 2009, 23:52
Here is a breakdown of the distributor, its really simple and basic, undo the dizzy cap, undo the 3 bolts on the rotor arm, and the undo the single bolt holding the baseplate onto the cam and remove the baseplate (don't worry about marking it, the notch is offset, so the baseplate can only fit back on one way), then all you have to do is somehow get the oil seal out as it sits a bit deep.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/dizzy.jpg

Here is the cylinder head, number 30 is the oil seal, and you can see the notch in the end of the cam where the dizzy baseplate sits. The red circle shows where the dizzy sits, notice the little notch at the bottom, this is a drain for oil to stop it fowling the dizzy up in case of a leak (which is what you have)
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/cylinderhead.jpg

PHIL V70R
Friday 9th October 2009, 21:49
..lol..thanks for the info and the pics..i might try 4 brain of britan next week..lol..you never no i might get it right mate,,i will have a go at the week end wearther permiting..not sure how the hell to get the oil seal out and the new one in but god likes a tryer...:wink:

Dangerous Dave
Friday 9th October 2009, 22:05
small screwdriver and a hammer

PHIL V70R
Friday 9th October 2009, 22:15
thats it 4 tools then..lol...about an hour or two then..me thinks that this could be a plan..:funkybana

Tomcat
Friday 9th October 2009, 22:28
Be carefull though, I've seen a few heads with the corners broken off around the oil seals, you don't want to be too rough and snap something off.

PHIL V70R
Saturday 10th October 2009, 22:19
well i shall try my best mate..lol..i got the car with problums..oil leak and a water leak..the water leak is some thing of a paul dananls trick..lol not going to bore u all with that one as yet, save that for a raine day..i got the car for mk2 astra money so it worth haveing a go, and u chaps have been great..and the info as been brill..:eye-poppi