PDA

View Full Version : Radiator with oil cooler

Volvostorm
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 13:51
I'll just hsd to order a new radiator, as mine has cracked just below the top hose.

A couple of local parts places quoted me £200 once I pointed out that my rad has an oil cooler built-in.

Volvo dealer was £106, but couldn't be 100% about the cooler,, but he did check and couldn't any listing for a cooler on its own, so, he thinks its correct.

Does this sound right?All the T5's have coolers built-in, and a genuine rad comes with the cooler.

Its an M reg manual by the way

Alan M
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 13:59
Yes there is a cooler built in. Rufe sells them delivered for about £105 IIRC.

Volvostorm
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 14:04
Cheers Alan, I had already ordered it from Volvo, I was just checking it was right

Rufe
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 15:22
Yes we sell them (genuine volvo of course) at £107.99 all in, thats the delivered total price (mainland uk). These do come with the oil cooler connections. You will find if you have a manual transmission car you will have two extra connections on the new radiator, its not wrong as they simply remain blanked off. (the connections would be for the automatic gearbox cooler connections).

By the way was the £106 you were quoted excluding vat? These retail at £106.50 plus vat, so are around £123 retail price normally, which is still a very good price compared to non genuine versions. (Only saying as i have lost many sales to people over the years who thought the price they were quoted included vat, but ended up paying more on the day when they collected)

Simon

Volvostorm
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 16:17
Yes mate, I was quote £106 plus vat, same day delivery, so, it should be there! (But, I'll get it tomorrow :P)

Thanks for your help mate

Rufe
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 16:26
i spoke to someone off this site this morning who ordered one with me, we then ordered it in and it came in earlier and left with DHL so he will be getting his tomorrow too :P

no worries, like i said its still a really good price even at retail, you cant argue with that.

Volvostorm
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 16:34
If they have quoted me retail, I have a word with them, normally get trade off them! lol

But, as you said, its a good price, alot better than the £200 I was quoted for a non-genuine rad

cherry1809
Thursday 29th October 2009, 09:44
Any way of checking these? I didn't know about the internal cooler and thought my head gasket had gone, When oil turned up in the header tank.
Will save me scrapping the car if it's just this. But on the other hand I don't want to spend £100+ on a car thats possibly got a head gasket gone.

Volvostorm
Thursday 29th October 2009, 13:50
Hmmm, maybe you could pressurize the rad tanks some how?

I really don't know, hopefully some one with have a better idea.

I have heard of these tanks going, so it may your problem, what about trying a 2nd hand rad?

orse
Thursday 29th October 2009, 13:57
I know there are tester kits you put on top of expansion bottle if the dye changes colour then this indicates headgasket issues.Alternatively if you you know of a friendly mot centre run the engine carefully undo coolant bottle cap and hover the emissions tester end in the air gap above the coolant level,if the hydrocarbons readings go up this is good sign combustion gases are in coolant system which points to head gasket failure.Hope this makes sense and helps

cherry1809
Thursday 29th October 2009, 18:22
I've ordered another rad from Rufe (Thanks mate) So I'll soon find out.
The system isn't pressurising, The temps aren't going up, Heater still working, No sludge just black oil, So fingers crossed.