PDA

View Full Version : do you give a monkeys about your MPG?

t5_carl
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 17:39
theres loads of posts about people moaning about there MPG, so, who doesnt car about there MPG?:eclipsee_

volvokid
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 17:42
No lol

p fandango
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 17:42
theres loads of posts about people moaning about there MPG, so, who doesnt car about there MPG?:eclipsee_
i don't care what my T-5 does to the gallon, not with the D5 doing over 50mpg :partysmil

t5_carl
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 17:44
woo 3 of us so far:D

Vikingxl
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 17:50
Couldnt care less

dicky b t5
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 17:53
Nope, could'nt give a monkeys, been about 23-24mpg ave for 3yrs now.

If you own a T5 or an R....All part of it !!

Dicky.

Vikingxl
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 17:53
In fact thinking about it it makes me laugh,all the people on here spending loads of cash fixing up their cars and then the expense of all the mods and then moaning about the mpg.These are cars have a fair bit of performance and a lot of weight so they were never going to be doing 45mpg.

woz
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 18:09
is 32-35 on a run sitting at 70-80 indicated, and the odd play testing in gearacceleration times 50-70, 60-80, 70-90 on th eodd bits which aren't on a pubic highway.

Then 18-24 during the week when its back and forth two miles on teh schol run, the tip, Ikea, the builders merchants etc.

Cannot complain really. Thats with a RICA 280, cleaned injectors and all new ignition components. Before that I strugged to get it over 30 on any journey unles sitting at 60-65 mph.

When I got it I was seeing 23 mpg everywhere - that was due to a split vacuum/boost pipe elbow. Nice cheap fix!!

If you only see low twenties its worth getting it checked. Not for teh economy you understand but cos it will GO FASTER LOL
W

Rhys
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 18:15
Can't say I'm bothered - to us it's a trade off for the load space we've got. To be honest the way I looked at it was the 2 litre was underpowered for the size of the car, the 2.5 too big so the T5 is about right. Unless the like the needle swinging to the right lol.
If I want to get decent mpg I'll dive that way but for me I like to have a blart every now and again which upsets that..

Lets face it, I was driving a Saab 900 the same age as my 850 and it only returned about 22 mpg compared to 26+ of the T5 and the performance was worse than my old BMW 318ti (which the T5 knocks spots off). As a result I'm quite happy. If I wanted good mpg I'd have bought a mundano tdi.

The Flying Banana
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 18:33
who cares, got three car and dont get 50 MPG between all three added together lol!!

WOODY T5
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 18:41
no way ad my t5 5 years now

scooter
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 18:46
over the last couple of years my miles per gallon has been between 17-25mpg so don't care as i use to it now the cost of driving a good car

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 19:06
I don't really care, check out my sig, been like that for ages now LOL

Okete
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 19:17
I can't afford to care!!!!

ANDYRACER
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 20:09
The day i can no longer afford to run it is when ill care!
Tbh thought the R is economical compared to my old 400bhp 200sx, and my old 300bhp celica gt4 lol

Eddy T
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 21:13
Well I Don't care as it gives alot more miles compared to me old XJS and the Range Rover so the T5 is economical in comparison and quicker to...

MrMopp
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 21:40
Couldnt care less , the T5 is practically an eco car compared to the range :0

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 22:29
It is an irrelevancy in the more general economics of running the best value high performance utility car in the world.

Vikingxl
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 22:30
I see no one disagreeing lol

Chad
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 22:36
i dont care......when it hits quarter tank........she gets filled up........v-power all the way baby......

martybelfastt5
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 22:41
dont care at all,,,enjoy driving it so much its so worth it !

The Flying Banana
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 22:57
Couldnt care less , the T5 is practically an eco car compared to the range :0

Range Rovers....now they are in a league of their own lol! I had a 4.6 for a while and it was sh*t !!! To the point i had to laugh about it or i would cry ! I used mine to run about town etc and some days quickly and i genuinely thought there was something wrong with the guage!! If you want to really appreciate your T5s mpg, borrow one of these beasts for a day !!

Vikingxl
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 22:59
Im pretty sure my neighbour gets less than 5mpg from his panzer

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 23:50
Range Rovers....now they are in a league of their own lol! I had a 4.6 for a while and it was sh*t !!! To the point i had to laugh about it or i would cry ! I used mine to run about town etc and some days quickly and i genuinely thought there was something wrong with the guage!! If you want to really appreciate your T5s mpg, borrow one of these beasts for a day !!

Reminds me of the days my dad had a 4.4 Vouge used to watch the needle go down as he accelerated.

As for economy lets be honest wouldnt own a T5 if it bothered me that much but what I will say is nobody moans if you get that little extra from the tank on a motorway run do they?

volvoturboman
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 00:58
Lol, well I have been known to complain and heres why. My 2.5 V70 is doing 25mpg my previous 850 T5 was doing 27mpg. So to be using more petrol and having so much less pwer is what ticks me off. That aside no I generally don't care if I did as pre mentioned I'd go buy some diesel euro box. Having recently discovered that my V70 is just simply in dire need of aservice I'm pleased again. As for the Range Rovers, my Dad drives one although his is the previous generation BMW 2.5 diesel. He gets between 25 and 29 so for that level of luxury he is well pleased.

BigV
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 06:36
Not fussed here, although it is getting a bit depressing watching petrol prices creep back up again.

I'm more concerned about keeping my license to be honest...... so easy to do silly speeds with one squeeze of the pedal in the T5. I did a bit of *ahem* spirited driving last night and scared myself TBH, made me wonder if I should buy a Corsa instead.

RT MECHANICS
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 06:42
I cannot be too fussed My Evo does from 18-25 mpg but did get it down to 4 mpg once or twice and the Peril does 12-18 mpg from early workings out but must admit to not really trying hard to get the best figures as i like to enjoy it :shhh:

Russ

vpcukTommy
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 08:18
I put £20 of super in last week and the computer said i was only going to get 25miles!!!!

Its with my mechanic atm to identify why its using so much.

Rufe
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 10:10
i am with the others, really doesnt make a difference to me. i get asked a lot about how many miles do i do to the gallon, and i have never been able to answer that question. i simply dont know. i have glanced at the on board computer now and again, but its all irrelevant really lol

RollingThunder
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 12:31
My std 850R seems to be hovering around the 23-24mpg mark - not bad for an automatic 240bhp volvo estate, although like everyone (if they're honest) I'd be even happier if I saw 26-27 regularly!

To put that into perspective, my old std spec 135bhp 940 2.3 LPT auto was getting around 26mpg which dropped to mid teens after being modded to around 220bhp, while my classic landrover with a 2.25 non-turbo diesel (which maxs out at about 50mph) returns about 24mpg as well!

So all in all I reckon the 850R is doing pretty well :) The only fly in the ointment is my Golf V5 - 170bhp and similar performance to the 850R, but gets a regular 30-32mpg...

boycey
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 12:40
Nope certaintly dont care about mpg. My fuel gauge on my T5 is always moving towards the bottom lol. It loves V power.

If you care buy a slow car like a diesel i say.

850 2.5 10v
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 12:46
The best thing most of us have to our benefit will be:

1. No car loans as our cars are cheap as chips.

2. No great worry about depreciation.

These are two single most expensive things when it comes to running a car.

It would be way way more expensive running a year old Focus / Fiesta / Astra etc...that might do 40mpg.

Rest easy people.

Cheers

mexybhouy
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 22:37
Getting 15-17 mpg, but can't understand even with a light foot, why Rica'd R's get 28-29 mpg and mine is standard????????????
Somethings not right!!!!!!!!!!

The Flying Banana
Wednesday 7th October 2009, 23:07
Yep, I have just changed my ECU for a mapped one and my mileage is better now aswell, so its worth doing it just for that if MPG is yer thang !!

woody
Thursday 8th October 2009, 09:59
Nope certaintly dont care about mpg. My fuel gauge on my T5 is always moving towards the bottom lol. It loves V power.

If you care buy a slow car like a diesel i say.

Couldn't of said it any better boycey.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 8th October 2009, 10:11
I never had a trip computer. Most I ever had out of a tank was 440 miles. Mostly I get about 330 - 350.

Couldn't give a monkeys. I still derive huge pleasure from driving the C70.

Diesel64
Thursday 8th October 2009, 12:58
I went for a T5 fully aware that it's a thirsty beast, so no (like most others here) I don't really care. Owned mine for about 4 years now and I still love it!

I do keep an eye on the trip computer, but only to make sure I don't have any problems (I tend to average 26-29MPG on a standard ECU) if it starts to take a dive, I get under the hood and check my vac lines...

Let's face it, MPG is only a big consideration when choosing a car these days cos petrol is too blooming expensive!

flyingbrick
Thursday 8th October 2009, 13:24
Na dont care. Am getting 17-19 mpg had the car for about four years now..

LeeT5
Thursday 8th October 2009, 13:43
Lol, well I have been known to complain and heres why. My 2.5 V70 is doing 25mpg my previous 850 T5 was doing 27mpg. So to be using more petrol and having so much less pwer is what ticks me off. That aside no I generally don't care if I did as pre mentioned I'd go buy some diesel euro box. Having recently discovered that my V70 is just simply in dire need of aservice I'm pleased again. As for the Range Rovers, my Dad drives one although his is the previous generation BMW 2.5 diesel. He gets between 25 and 29 so for that level of luxury he is well pleased.

That's probably because your right foot is heavier in the 2.5 as with the T5 yo u don't need to floor it as much because of the extra torque during normal driving! I can confirm that in the book Volvo states only a 1-2mpg difference between auto and manual thou.

As for me? Couldn't give a rats arSe about MPG. Daily driving i get 300 miles on a tank and average 21-25mpg. However on a long run that all changes....500+ miles to a tank! :D and thats cruising at 70mph.

cameron
Thursday 8th October 2009, 15:50
I do :grumpy:

17 - 18mpg round town, still im on my 5th 850 T5, i just love them.

Although a manual one Rica'd wouldnt go a miss :B_thumb:

HADI
Thursday 8th October 2009, 16:11
Getting 15-17 mpg, but can't understand even with a light foot, why Rica'd R's get 28-29 mpg and mine is standard????????????
Somethings not right!!!!!!!!!!

unless your driving it foot down all the time , i would get it checked, mine has the rica etc, its a manual and im sitting at 28.5 just now, when i got it, it was doing 17 mpg and found out the front 02 sensor wasnt working, sorted it and it shot up

Volvostorm
Thursday 8th October 2009, 17:18
It doesn't bother me either, and, no, not just because mines LPG'd, I know they were thirsty, anyway, you want a quick car? They normally have a drink problem! lol

I thought mine was abit heavy on the juice, till I read the other, its doing 23mpg according to the info, which means 21mpg on gas, or about 38+mpg on LPG vs petrol costs :P

boycey
Thursday 8th October 2009, 17:37
There is a simple quote for this i heard today.

SMILES OR MILES

Thought this was the answer :)

Jaseb77
Thursday 8th October 2009, 19:17
D5 for work
T5 for play
V6 for kids

is the equation I use , works for me, the Business mileage I do pays for the fuel in all 3 cars including wife v6 Laguna which does 19mpg urban and 34 motorway, T5 is better than that

Justin
Thursday 8th October 2009, 19:24
Running a 4.2 V8 Rs4 now and it gets better mpg than the older one i traded in. But really, who gives a ££££, when its low i fill it up.

JelT5
Thursday 8th October 2009, 19:28
Running a 4.2 V8 Rs4 now and it gets better mpg than the older one i traded in. But really, who gives a ££££, when its low i fill it up.

Ditto, apart from the type of car.

lance
Friday 9th October 2009, 10:27
My Audi S4 is far worse than the T5 P2 remaped 25 round town S4 21 round town, T5 at a steady 50 mph 45 mpg, S4 32 MPG, I have said it before and I will say it again T5s are good on fuel for there size and performance, but I dont give a poo nearly bought a 530 or 330 D but thought I deserved more fun!

Slumpy Monster
Friday 9th October 2009, 13:15
I have a rica chip 310 on mine I get 15 around town and 28 on a run! Its ok its 300+bhp my foot is lead so who cares I didnt buy for fuel economy. But by the way how do you start a new thread ?
I have a new website www.kudostechnicalltd.co.uk in the vehicle mapping list there is a pdf it has a list of the volvo's I do.

cherry1809
Friday 9th October 2009, 19:42
Not that fussed about MPG myself. I try to keep it at around 23 but it's hard sometimes :dgrin:

nobananas
Friday 9th October 2009, 22:49
On a trip to the Lakes recently I drove there at a steady 70mph with no hard acceleration and laying well off the boost at all times. With a full to the roof boot and two of us in it it managed exactly 30 mpg. On the way home I drove it 'differently' this time with three of us in it and more luggage (had to pick up a relative on the way). The mpg dropped to a phenomenal 28 mpg !. This leads me to the following conclusion..........THERE IS NO POINT IN TAKING IT EASY !!

p fandango
Friday 9th October 2009, 22:52
just gone down to 53.1mpg because i've been driving around town :biggrin:

i've took the trip computer off BT because i don't want to know lol

Wibren V70R
Sunday 11th October 2009, 14:42
I don't care to be honest. When it's empty i just fill her up and carry on driving :D

kevin4878
Sunday 11th October 2009, 18:28
i dont care......when it hits quarter tank........she gets filled up........v-power all the way baby......

does the v power and similer show any increase in perfomance?

simspurejuice
Sunday 11th October 2009, 21:40
i couldnt care about the mpg of my 850T5 she is fast comfortable and looks the dogs b!!!!!ks and given the alternative of driving a corsa or saxo etc etc or any of that **** NO THANKS