PDA

View Full Version : How many silencers?

hellraiser
Monday 5th October 2009, 17:45
Hello again, my old girl is booked in to have a powerflow stainless steel exhaust system fitted thursday. I'm having a system made from the down pipe back & having the cat left out (don't say anything about mot its all sortted ;))
Now the question I'm asking is how many silencers show I go for?
I want to hear all the goodness of the turbo & the 5 cylinder lump under the hood but I don't want to pi** the neighbours off.
So what say you?

Jamest5r
Monday 5th October 2009, 17:50
Would like to know that as well mate, hoping to sort a deal with adam at readview for a second hand powerflow but his has 3 boxes an he reckon's it's too loud, but danny t5r only has one box which is too loud and wishes he had two?? im confused!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANDYRACER
Monday 5th October 2009, 18:16
Ive got 2 boxes in my custom Longlife system, one small one where the cat should be, and one slightly bigger box under the backseat and im taking it back to have a box taken out, its to quiet!

p fandango
Monday 5th October 2009, 18:21
this is mine with a decat & Powerflow downpipe back, got 1 medium sized silencer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXMAak4HQ0Q

Al115
Monday 5th October 2009, 18:32
I've found that 1 box only can be quite drony. 2 is much more livable-with and still sporty enough. That said, mine has only 1 as I hate my neighbours. Tossers. :P

danny-R
Monday 5th October 2009, 19:18
Would like to know that as well mate, hoping to sort a deal with adam at readview for a second hand powerflow but his has 3 boxes an he reckon's it's too loud, but danny t5r only has one box which is too loud and wishes he had two?? im confused!!!!!!!!!!!!

i only have one backbox where the cat used to be and about the same size,
mine makes an annoying "droneing" noise only between 2000 and 2500 rpms.
which to me aint a bad thing because i find myself changing gear every time before 2000 revs (saving petrol).
but having said that, if i had the money i would be going back for a second silencer fitted just for the more stealth approach, i have thought about fitting one myself but it would be daft to void the lifetime warranty.

hellraiser
Monday 5th October 2009, 19:50
Thanks for the replys, I'll ask for one silencer to start off with.
If it is too loud then I'll have one more fitted as it'll be easyer & cleaner to add than take away.

Tomcat
Monday 5th October 2009, 20:05
I've found that 1 box only can be quite drony. 2 is much more livable-with and still sporty enough. That said, mine has only 1 as I hate my neighbours. Tossers. :P

LMAO!!!, I used to have a single box system on my last car and it was great around town but boomy as hell on the motorway. That said the Ferrita I have now has two boxes (one medium, one small) and if anything it's a little too quiet.

PaulZX
Monday 5th October 2009, 20:23
Here's mine with a stainless 2.5" cat back with two small boxes in.... I think it's too quiet, but saying that I've grown to like the added sleeper quality it gives.... I don't have people looking to what's going fast when I come round the corner..... esp helpful if those people are in a certain group famed for dressing in blue, but actually dressing in black and white ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Zi-CZYWwE

hellraiser
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 19:04
Thanks again for all the replys, I'll go with one silencer to begin with.
Once fitted I'll get some pic's & a vid of my old girl upload.