PDA

View Full Version : Is there any NCAP ratings for the 850?

cherry1809
Saturday 3rd October 2009, 14:51
Not that fussed, Just out of interest really.
I've seen the 940 clip from 5th Gear and wondered if the 850 was as bad.
Seen the one where they dump an 850 off a cliff too.

volvoturboman
Saturday 3rd October 2009, 15:54
Just getting my oar in here. I'm not a big fan of fifth gear for one reason, Renault seems to be paying them for advertising. If you notice most of there crashes seem to be involving Renaults and I know the one your talking about. The Renault Modus and the 940 estate. Thing is see, the Modus is approx 10 years younger than the 940 so what can be expected. I had an accident a few years back in my 740, the old model. A 2 year old Rover pulled out in front of me and I was doing approx 70mph so by the time I hit my brakes I'd say I must have hit at approx 50mph. I required an indicator lens the Rover was wrote off. In all fairness ncap my be the experts in crash testing but no 2 accidents are ever identical. So down to me I'd chose the Volvo irrelevent of age to any other car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY

Seriously put that Modus up against a new V70 or at least a V70 the same year I think then it would be a fair test. Really when it comes down to it that was a serious crash that although injured the passengers and driver would have survived. Now think that was say a Renault (any model) the same year as the Volvo what do you think the outcome would have been?

stephenevans99
Saturday 3rd October 2009, 17:32
I think the first time they Euro NCAP'd a car was in 1997....so I presume the 850 missed out on testing.

t5_carl
Saturday 3rd October 2009, 17:36
the old rennies are made from tin foil, so agaist a volvo it would of just given it a wrap in shiny metal

cherry1809
Sunday 4th October 2009, 10:08
Just getting my oar in here. I'm not a big fan of fifth gear for one reason, Renault seems to be paying them for advertising. If you notice most of there crashes seem to be involving Renaults and I know the one your talking about. The Renault Modus and the 940 estate. Thing is see, the Modus is approx 10 years younger than the 940 so what can be expected. I had an accident a few years back in my 740, the old model. A 2 year old Rover pulled out in front of me and I was doing approx 70mph so by the time I hit my brakes I'd say I must have hit at approx 50mph. I required an indicator lens the Rover was wrote off. In all fairness ncap my be the experts in crash testing but no 2 accidents are ever identical. So down to me I'd chose the Volvo irrelevent of age to any other car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY

Seriously put that Modus up against a new V70 or at least a V70 the same year I think then it would be a fair test. Really when it comes down to it that was a serious crash that although injured the passengers and driver would have survived. Now think that was say a Renault (any model) the same year as the Volvo what do you think the outcome would have been?

Hadn't seen that one. One I saw was the BMW against the saloon 940.

claymore
Sunday 4th October 2009, 10:15
seems to be 4 star
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=36
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/mpaine/ncaplist.html

volvoturboman
Monday 5th October 2009, 00:59
Hadn't seen that one. One I saw was the BMW against the saloon 940.

O' yeah that one if I remember correctly they both faired out pretty evenly, as to be expected. Your right not to be bothered though mate there as safe as houses. O' yeah and 4 star as it would seem so pretty darn good.

Wombatbomb
Monday 5th October 2009, 07:38
seems to be 4 star

No. The S70 only got 3 stars in 1998 when it was tested, and the NCAP star system itself only started in 1997. There is no evidence of the 850 ever having undergone NCAP testing in Europe.

doumac
Monday 5th October 2009, 08:36
Do bear in mind that Renault own NCAP.

stephenevans99
Monday 5th October 2009, 08:53
Do bear in mind that Renault own NCAP.

I really wouldn't have thought so.

stephenevans99
Monday 5th October 2009, 08:56
Just found this.....

The background

Euro NCAP was originally developed by the Transport Research Laboratory for the UK ’s Department of Transport. Subsequently many other interested parties have joined. Current members include the Catalonian region of Spain , France , Germany , the Netherlands , Sweden and the UK . Consumer groups in Europe are represented by International Consumer Research and Testing. Motoring clubs are represented by members of the FIA Foundation and ADAC, the German Motor Club. British insurers are represented by Thatcham. The European Commission is an observing member of Euro NCAP's board and provides additional support.

This wide consortium of members ensures independence.

Euro NCAP itself is an International Association under Belgian law. Euro NCAP is independent of the automotive industry and political control. No individual member can bias Euro NCAP towards their individual interests.

Each member pays an annual subscription and must fund the testing of at least one car model each year. Car manufacturers can also sponsor the testing of their own cars. Once a manufacturer chooses to sponsor a car, control passes to Euro NCAP. The manufacturer is not able to influence the testing, assessment or publication of the results. However, Euro NCAP conducts a regular dialogue with the motor industry, discussing technical issues.

doumac
Monday 5th October 2009, 09:39
This is exactly what I thought. A sales exec in BMW told me that NCAP was owned by Renault. I looked up the internet and concluded that he was talking nonsense.

A few months later I was told the same by a very streetwise trader in Glasgow.

When you think of all the biased reports on Renault safety, like that nonsense about an ancient Volvo going up against a modern Renault. Talk about standing on the shoulders of giants.

There has been a lot more reports about the amazing safety of Renaults, although there are loads of 5 star cars out there. It certainly makes you think. Perhaps one for the conspiracy guys.

The next time I am in BMW I am going to quiz the guy more.

volvoturboman
Monday 5th October 2009, 23:14
I dont think its so much a conspiricy. For years Volvo were advertised very heavily about safety and so became paramount in safe cars. As we all know this was true as Volvo's were very safe. I just think Renault knew that it did make one of the most unsafe cars you could buy. They then got there act together improved gained high awards and have then been ramming it downour throats ever since. I think thats why people now think Renfault first for safety. What the average Joe seems to miss is this, Renfault have always been safe. Think about it your car is broken down and not moving (which is more than likely the case in a Renfault) you ain't gonna be in an accident!!!

merc85
Thursday 9th October 2014, 12:52
Holy thread reserection lol

Found this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PrzuYih21U

M-R-P
Thursday 9th October 2014, 12:55
I found this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6LxeOwQUtQ

AndysR
Monday 13th October 2014, 21:32
The NCAP ratings are irrelevant now for the 850 models and any cars made in its era as car safety has improved 10 fold since. That said manufacturers spend a lot of their time making their cars achieve good NCAP figures for the glossy brochures. NCAP isn't the be all and end all in car safety they're just the recognised benchmark from a consumers point of view. Only 1 manufacturer stands out from the crowd when it comes to pushing the boundary's of car safety and actually belittled the NCAP tests.. I wonder who..?

AndysR
Monday 13th October 2014, 21:38
How about this video..

http://youtu.be/so2wJJPge88

It shows a classic V70 pitched up against a 2008 V70.. Look how much better the later V70 handles the impact and that's around 8 years development difference between the 2 models and still it's probably 8 years behind development from where the soon to be launched XC90 sits! Cars are now being engineered to avoid accidents themselves as well as protect during an accident

oblark
Monday 13th October 2014, 21:56

If you watch this crash between the renault and the 940, it`s not a true head on it`s offset.

As the 940 is RWD the renault hits the 940 by the side of the engine, thats why it deforms so badly.

If the same crash was done on a 850 or p1 v70 the the engine/subframe would take the force of the crash and be less defromed.

merc85
Monday 13th October 2014, 21:58
The NCAP ratings are irrelevant now for the 850 models and any cars made in its era as car safety has improved 10 fold since. That said manufacturers spend a lot of their time making their cars achieve good NCAP figures for the glossy brochures. NCAP isn't the be all and end all in car safety they're just the recognised benchmark from a consumers point of view. Only 1 manufacturer stands out from the crowd when it comes to pushing the boundary's of car safety and actually belittled the NCAP tests.. I wonder who..?

wish i could agree with the last bit lol ;)

M-R-P
Monday 13th October 2014, 22:22

The new V40 iirc. The highest ncap rating for any car ever.

Once again based on the focus chassis I believe. Only the bonnet airbag and some radar bumped it up a bit.