PDA

View Full Version : Electric Window Problem

swordy21
Monday 6th June 2005, 18:35
Your help would be muchly appreciated chaps!
Friday my electric windows packed up. They were working OK on leaving work, then they wern't half an hour later.

At first I thought it may have been a blown fuse but - there ain't one (well yes there is but it is an auto circuit breaker (fuse 37).

Symptoms -

None of the windows work, nor does the sunroof or electric mirrors.

On pressing the auto switch you get a fast ticking, not evident on the other switches.

I have had the door card off and saw a wisp of smoke from relay (under the buttons). I have also had the window motor apart (i had to use the spindle armature to wind up the window.) The thing did work for one up and down after this, then stop.

Looking at the circuit breaker fuse 37, it was extremely hot and had melted the plastic just around the pin connections and tempered one of the blades - the CB still works as I tested it on the electric seats one.

Questions - Could it be:-

1) Blown/sticking relay or other issue with the relay assembly? My favourite as non of the other things work.
2) Sticking/knackered motor? Although no evidence of labouring prior, and why would the other windows not work?
3) Other short associated with this circuit, and does anyone know a likely issue,

Your help/suggestions would be appreciated before I ring Mark at Salvo (again).

Cheers

Jon

TangoDeltaSierra3
Monday 6th June 2005, 23:05
I know the master switch control panels are prone to faults, normally affects drivers side window mainly, there about £90 at dealers.

bigndaft
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 15:30
same thing happened to me...it was the drivers master switch, none of the windows would open/close, not sure if affected my door mirrors though. one on ebay currently £51....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10432&item=4554349587&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

swordy21
Thursday 9th June 2005, 10:16
Thanks very much Big. much appreciated.

My suspicion was the switch pack, my feeling is that something has shorted, come unconnected or the like (eg the auto shut off) and is causing excess current to be fed though the circuit breaker, hence it tripping out/getting hot. I think this must control all the other electrically operated things hence them not working.

I may have a go at putting a 12v feed directly on the window motor to see it it will turn ruling out a fault there as well.

swordy21
Wednesday 22nd June 2005, 08:50
Thanks to Big, bid on and won window master switch pack on ebay.

Arrived, fitted and yeehaa working windows now. Fabby.