PDA

View Full Version : Volan to perfo - like jodie kidd in asda trainers

Flatout Phil
Thursday 1st October 2009, 20:11
Not sure about the look right now. Still, it means the Volans can be sorted.
Flatout Phil Jr. wanted to help so, because I think kids prefer the real deal to functionless plastic tools etc, he learned a new skill. My dad always let me do this sort of stuff, and that is one of my fond memories of him. So Flatout P Jr did a very good job too for a 7 year old. Supervised him with the heavy bits, but now understands the process.

I have to admit I wasn't too happy with the look at first, but it is growing on me. However, those anthracite spokes do look SO nice - the silver is OK but a bit bling.

sen
Thursday 1st October 2009, 20:55
Great job there by the little one i hope you have put his pocket money up this week lol.

AndysR
Thursday 1st October 2009, 21:05
Nice to see you allowing jnr to help out in the nanny state we live in. I am sure as a parent you know the implications of working unsafely and supervised accordingly. I too remember helping my dad with basics when I was alot younger and really enjoyed it :)

As for the car looks bloody low now and with 302's the brakes must be close to the inside of those front wheels. Definately good to hear the Volan's are going back on though ;)

Tomcat
Thursday 1st October 2009, 21:28
Holy crap!, your a little young to be driving that car aren't you?, how do you see over the steering wheel?....

Flatout Phil
Thursday 1st October 2009, 21:43
Nice to see you allowing jnr to help out in the nanny state we live in. I am sure as a parent you know the implications of working unsafely and supervised accordingly. I too remember helping my dad with basics when I was alot younger and really enjoyed it :)

As for the car looks bloody low now and with 302's the brakes must be close to the inside of those front wheels. Definately good to hear the Volan's are going back on though ;)

Not got 302 in there yet but pleased to find BFGoodrich braided hoses in place already so should be a fairly straightforward swap. Jr will be safe enough - and shows considerable common sense - well supervised but not mollicoddled. My grandma worked in the mills from the age of 12 and grandpa was an apprentice cabinetmaker at a similar age. Kids as I have said before, can take more responsibility than you might think. I also think it boosts his ego - he can tell his mates he knows how to fix cars: truthfully. We also built a treehouse together over the summer with my little girl as well. Great fun - got a few splinters, cuts and bruises: and skills and satisfaction too. Boys (and girls) need good role models, and to have an interest in something constructive and tangible - I mean, what will a Playstation make you good at? Sounds like your dad and mine had the right idea.

Marvin
Thursday 1st October 2009, 22:21
We have a son with Aspergers. From an early age he has always wanted to help, so with supervision he has always been allowed too. One of my neighbours threatened to report me once for lettting him help in the garden, but when metioned to his educational physcologist we were told it was one of the best things for him, he changes tyres and checks oil and water regularly.
He has always wanted to become a mechanic, so we told him to do his best for his GCSE's in which he obtained a pass in every one. We found him a place at a local college where he is 2 weeks into year 1 of a 3 year motor vehicle course and loving every minute of it.
Soty its a long one but I feel that the more encourage and support a child the world is theirs for the taking.

Flatout Phil
Friday 2nd October 2009, 08:23
Holy crap!, your a little young to be driving that car aren't you?, how do you see over the steering wheel?....

Ah yes, Mini Me - he is much better looking and has hair and no paunch. He is Chief Engineer. Daughter (5) is Navigator - has the most amazing sense of location and direction: can usually point you in the right direction. My niece is also known to her family (amongst other things) as Satnav: same ability. Main benefit of a TomTom is that if it gets a bit TOO smart you can always turn it off...:rally_dri

Flatout Phil
Friday 2nd October 2009, 08:34
We have a son with Aspergers. From an early age he has always wanted to help, so with supervision he has always been allowed too. One of my neighbours threatened to report me once for lettting him help in the garden, but when metioned to his educational physcologist we were told it was one of the best things for him, he changes tyres and checks oil and water regularly.
He has always wanted to become a mechanic, so we told him to do his best for his GCSE's in which he obtained a pass in every one. We found him a place at a local college where he is 2 weeks into year 1 of a 3 year motor vehicle course and loving every minute of it.
Soty its a long one but I feel that the more encourage and support a child the world is theirs for the taking.

I am lucky to have got some very wise colleagues over the years working for a counselling charity. Some years ago I was in a real pit. I was a home-dad, doing the round of playgroups etc, and working in the evenings. One of these friends, a feisty 76 year old woman, came round and seeing my miserable state asked me how long it was since I had physically made something. The answer was, a long time - lost in a heap of nappies, Fisher Price toys going bleep and the ironing. So I got out that weekend and built a gazebo. The difference was amazing. I think blokes in particular, but not exclusively, need to regularly undertake a physical task to make or fix something. I think the world is a sadder place now that we have lost that wonderful Sunday afternoon pastime of fixing the car. Get hold of a 70s copy of Practical Mechanics - all those Barry Cade fixes. Wonderful stuff. Talking to a mate the other day about how we never had to go more than about half a mile to find a car spares shop in south London. Only a few left now. They were like pubs with spares instead of booze - always guaranteed a good chat, and a bit like this forum, someone always knew how to fix the problem!
Happy days.

Marvin
Friday 2nd October 2009, 22:22
I am lucky to have got some very wise colleagues over the years working for a counselling charity. Some years ago I was in a real pit. I was a home-dad, doing the round of playgroups etc, and working in the evenings. One of these friends, a feisty 76 year old woman, came round and seeing my miserable state asked me how long it was since I had physically made something. The answer was, a long time - lost in a heap of nappies, Fisher Price toys going bleep and the ironing. So I got out that weekend and built a gazebo. The difference was amazing. I think blokes in particular, but not exclusively, need to regularly undertake a physical task to make or fix something. I think the world is a sadder place now that we have lost that wonderful Sunday afternoon pastime of fixing the car. Get hold of a 70s copy of Practical Mechanics - all those Barry Cade fixes. Wonderful stuff. Talking to a mate the other day about how we never had to go more than about half a mile to find a car spares shop in south London. Only a few left now. They were like pubs with spares instead of booze - always guaranteed a good chat, and a bit like this forum, someone always knew how to fix the problem!
Happy days.

Spot on I can smell the fumes and see that counter now, an oasis and a Aladins cave all rolled into one.