PDA

View Full Version : boost freak - ocd for over boosting!!

eddielam
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 21:59
Hi there guys just wondering how much safe boost you can run before doing major damage. currently running around 16 psi with slight movement, set the actuator so i can bleed 19psi on full boost and 11 on lowest boost, the car has a (superchiped ecu!!) any good? im not a fan! anyway it runs well on 16 no pinking or misfires! goes exceptionally well but i love to push things any ideas?? cheers

1995 850 T5 ESTATE

AndysR
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 22:23
I was under the impression you can't go much higher than what you are already achieving with the standard internals especially if your peaking at 19 :)

sen
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 23:04
i agree with the above i think you are on the limit now to be honest.

eddielam
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 23:07
yeah its currently running 16psi however can advance to 19 on bleed valve.

sen
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 23:10
Just be carefull because the rods are the the weak spot on these engines as standard, and aggressive boost low down will just bend your rods mate

p fandango
Thursday 1st October 2009, 14:18
if its the very first Superchips ECU you've got all they did was to remove the standard boost protection then fit either a MBC or bleed valve to raise the boost. I used to run 20.8psi but i really wouldn't recommend it as my car is a bit of a freak of nature lol. your not going to gain much anyway running more than 15-16psi on a 15g as its too small & just starts super-heating the air & you lose what it gains

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/580/interior5.jpg

AndysR
Thursday 1st October 2009, 21:32
if its the very first Superchips ECU you've got all they did was to remove the standard boost protection then fit either a MBC or bleed valve to raise the boost. I used to run 20.8psi but i really wouldn't recommend it as my car is a bit of a freak of nature lol. your not going to gain much anyway running more than 15-16psi on a 15g as its too small & just starts super-heating the air & you lose what it gains

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/580/interior5.jpg

Is that gauge showing 20 psi or 15-16 psi? Im guessing the later?

p fandango
Thursday 1st October 2009, 21:40
the end of the white is normally 15psi so it was more than that, but no i don't think that was at full boost becuase of how hard it was to get a pic in focus at the same time as being WOT. I had a second digital boost gauge which is how i can be accurate to 0.1psi & know she did boost to 20.8psi

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1403/interior6.jpg

danny-R
Friday 2nd October 2009, 08:15

i have been out in a t5r (not mine) and no word of a lie, the needle on the boost gauge was almost kissing the top of the temperature diagram??

he was using an mbc nothing much else. surely this cant be safe. what sort of psi would that be at a guess??
cheers

AndysR
Friday 2nd October 2009, 20:22
the end of the white is normally 15psi so it was more than that, but no i don't think that was at full boost becuase of how hard it was to get a pic in focus at the same time as being WOT. I had a second digital boost gauge which is how i can be accurate to 0.1psi & know she did boost to 20.8psi

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1403/interior6.jpg

Ah just curious always thought the end of the white section was about 14-15 psi as you stated so just wondered what that amount over in your picture roughly corresponded too.

AndysR
Friday 2nd October 2009, 20:23
i have been out in a t5r (not mine) and no word of a lie, the needle on the boost gauge was almost kissing the top of the temperature diagram??

he was using an mbc nothing much else. surely this cant be safe. what sort of psi would that be at a guess??
cheers

I would say it is around...... bucket loads and far too much if it's a standard engine lol

p fandango
Friday 2nd October 2009, 23:02
Ah just curious always thought the end of the white section was about 14-15 psi as you stated so just wondered what that amount over in your picture roughly corresponded too.
i'd say my pic is properly about 18psi, i never really looked at the 2 gauges at the same time to get a comparison lol

Saaamon
Saturday 3rd October 2009, 00:02
My R never went to the end (75% in to the white) and it was running 13.5psi so from my experiance i reckon the end would be about 15-16.