PDA

View Full Version : 16t refurb

Jamest5r
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 18:29
Got my 16t now but for piece of mind and not having to take it off again i thought i would get it refurbed.....my local place £350 :yikes::yikes:

Not having that so some info please lads

Cheers

Tomcat
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 18:35
You can get a refurb kit of fleabay for around £50, and fit it yourself (CAREFULLY...)

Jamest5r
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 18:56
You can get a refurb kit of fleabay for around £50, and fit it yourself (CAREFULLY...)

Do me one of your clever link thingy's please Hoffcat(belive this is the new way to address you)

Tomcat
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 19:09
Here you go, just make sure you order the right one for yours....

Linky..... (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mitsubishi-TD04-Turbo-Rebuild-Kit-VOLVO-SAAB-Pajero_W0QQitemZ120351118588QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1c057c54fc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

Alan M
Thursday 1st October 2009, 07:52
The kit required for the 16t is a superback kit. Only buy the genuine mitsubishi repair kit though. That way you will get a full kit and it does last longer.

RollingThunder
Thursday 1st October 2009, 09:06
I did one a few years ago - it isn't difficult but you need to ensure that you put it all back together again exactly as it came apart to ensure it remains balanced.

When I did mine I followed this excellent writeup http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=48611

Good luck

Jamest5r
Thursday 1st October 2009, 18:50
Bloody hell, just read the above link/thread now im worried!!!

t5_carl
Thursday 1st October 2009, 19:24
balance has got to be perfect otherwise parts of your turbo will end up in the engine

RollingThunder
Friday 2nd October 2009, 12:59
:D Its doable. You just need to be exceptionally clean - and I mean lab cleanliness. Be methodical, and make sure your markings are clear and permanent - you MUST get the balancing correct or it'll self destruct :D

I cleaned the bits in a dishwasher after submerging them in diesel (or may have been paraffin) for a few days. Came out like new ;) Obviously make sure the smaller parts are secured by either tieing them directly to the dishwasher tray, or else putting them in a nylon mesh bag.

I also took the precaution of adding a fine mesh filter to the dishwasher drainpipe to catch anything that did miraculously escape :)

Finally, don't forget you'll need new o-rings for the oil and water pipes, plus a new gasket for the oil drain pipe. Volvo also recommend that you change the oil feed pipes when replacing or reconditioning the turbo as any carbon chards that break away in the pipe during disassembly will quickly damage the turbo seals. As a minimum you need to thoroughly clean the oil feed pipes.

Chad
Friday 2nd October 2009, 13:00
bring it down james