PDA

View Full Version : Track day tyres and rims.

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 17:29
So I have this idea that I should get some trackday tyres for the R. Although I have some spare rims (16" Perfo) I currently run PZero on 17" Volans for road use. Not wishing to wear these to shreds, the question is do I use the almost unused Hankook Primes (possibly the worst tyre I have ever read a review of in respect of everything including tyre life) which are on the Perfos. Do I get some Toyos or similar on those rims instead. Do I work on the current set-up and get a second set of 17" rims and boot accordingly with Toyo etc?
This would be an occasional treat not a regular racing thing. I tend to think that cheap is usually nasty (hence reluctance to use the Hankooks at all) a few quid saved on tyres will not outweigh the cost of a missed corner if you see what I mean.
All ideas welcomed.
:eclipsee_

Jt5
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 17:37
toyo r888s i would say, then its jus down to budget for the wheels, obviously 17s are wider so would be my choice. r888 17s are 150 a piece tho... maybe just get a pair upfront and some cheaper toyos for the back

p fandango
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 17:41
if you've already got a spare set of rims i would just get tyres for them, i wouldn't bother trying to get wheels the same as your normal ones if there only for trackdays. Going for a wider tyre will help no end tho, going upto 225's makes a vast improvement over the original 205's

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3968/pictureox.jpg
my track tyres lol

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 17:53
Hankook RS2 are good tyres on track.

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 18:35
Hankook RS2 are good tyres on track.

That is interesting. I have a hunch that given I am not Jensen Button, that the HKs might do as a cheap starter - I have no other use for them. Because one of their 'faults' is short life, they may work quite well - the Yokohama principle (otherwise known as laying down a rubber road to Kingdom Come).

That said, the Toyo option would in theory I guess give me more grip. Although being not as young as I was, I dare say that I am unlikely to reach the limits too often!

:snail:

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 18:42
if you've already got a spare set of rims i would just get tyres for them, i wouldn't bother trying to get wheels the same as your normal ones if there only for trackdays. Going for a wider tyre will help no end tho, going upto 225's makes a vast improvement over the original 205's

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3968/pictureox.jpg
my track tyres lol

That is a fine set Pedro! A bit like my teeth, or the keyboard on my local's piano - one black, one white, one missing :D
If that is what works for you it is good enough for me!

p fandango
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 18:43
Because one of their 'faults' is short life, they may work quite well - the Yokohama principle (otherwise known as laying down a rubber road to Kingdom Come).
the previous set of Yokohama cut slicks which i brought for drag racing had an expected life of 8miles according to Yoko, & think they cost me about £130 each lol

That said, the Toyo option would in theory I guess give me more grip. Although being not as young as I was, I dare say that I am unlikely to reach the limits too often!
one of the blokes in the VWDRC uses Toyo tyres & is getting quite reasonable times considering what he races, he loves doing his burnouts & they've still got plenty left after racing for 3 seasons

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7407/t255.jpg

p fandango
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 18:50
That is a fine set Pedro! A bit like my teeth, or the keyboard on my local's piano - one black, one white, one missing :D
If that is what works for you it is good enough for me!
lol BT is mainly going to be used on the drag strip so i've only got the 2, the other/tread tyre is just a standard spare i happen to have around & put my slicks onto