PDA

View Full Version : cheers hlm

danny-R
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 19:22
just to update you all on my day at hlm, i set off at 6am this morning (just got home now) arrived there around 10ish and got it straight on the rollers on the standard map which i was kindly borrowed, produced bang on 225 bhp which was to be expected.
after an hour of tinkering it was put back on the rollers with the custom map and achieved 286 bhp and just over 400ftlb of torque- which to me is just numbers and a few wiggly lines on a screen, i was just itching to test it on my 200mile trip home.
it's hard to explain how the power is delivered- seems to pull a hell of a LOT more at the top of th rev range. (to 70mph ,sticking to forum policy).

i have uploaded a video of one of the dyno runs, sorry about the interuption half way through i was asked to stand outside. if you watch it to end you will catch a glimpse of wobbly dave's back end lol.

i will update when i have had chance to get used it, so far so good. i am very impressed and i must say a big thanks to hamish for making my plastering wagon off it's t#ts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qavJOnGs_tE

Tomcat
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 19:23
Glad you had a great time, what spec is your car running??, oh and the last thing I need to see is Wobbly's back end....(Shudder).

sen
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 19:25
You plasterers get paid too much using a t5 for your workhorse!!!

danny-R
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 19:28
haha you have to arrive in style

danny-R
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 19:32
well, its got a newly fitted 18t with reverse intercooler piping (home made :))
longlife custom stainless with d/pipe, no cat and only 1 backbox.
that's about it, oh a set of mooses

oh and hamish kindly replace boost control soleniod (at a cost of course) today as it was buggered

Tomcat
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 19:33
Mmm..what map you running?.. Think my next mod will be an 18T...

sen
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 19:35

Yours is quick enough, are these figures at the wheels or fly danny??

danny-R
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 19:36

tbh mate i think it's an off the shelf map for an 18t but not sure, it has been tweaked though by hamish himself though.
i have to nip out to go a message wahoooo

AlanG
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 19:36
More good press for the cheap bhp! Nice one!

Storm-Troll
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 20:16
Glad your liking it.. was good to meet you and your mate today at HLM today... and good to see wobbley dave there too.... nice looking motor you got there mate.. very clean... enjoy the Bhp lol

jt850turbo
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 20:25
ive got mine booked in for tomorrow.. how much did your dayout cost you danny?

danny-R
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 20:27
Glad your liking it.. was good to meet you and your mate today at HLM today... and good to see wobbley dave there too.... nice looking motor you got there mate.. very clean... enjoy the Bhp lol

cheers mate, i recognised yours the second you pulled up and i sort of remember wobbly from york. i can't wait to test it on a drag strip, does anyone know of anymore meets before the winter sets in? will be xmas before you know it.

jt850turbo
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 20:29
cheers mate, i recognised yours the second you pulled up and i sort of remember wobbly from york. i can't wait to test it on a drag strip, does anyone know of anymore meets before the winter sets in? will be xmas before you know it.avon this sat sun

danny-R
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 20:35
fuel= full tank £65 then an extra £20 on the way home lol

remap and bcs = inc vat £309, which i think is a very fair price for a custom map.

my mind is at ease now knowing it has been looked over by hamish himself, afr's checked etc. i must say i have had a blast today and would recommend hlm to anyone.

danny-R
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 20:38
avon this sat sun

tbh the only reason i couldn't make avon last time is it's a bit far to travell for the day.i know i have done over 400 miles today but that was for good reason. where else could i have gone? i cant think of anywhere lol
i enjoyed the meetup at york and would love to go back there sometime.

ANDYRACER
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 20:52
Wow that torque figure is awesome!

jt850turbo
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 20:56
fuel= full tank £65 then an extra £20 on the way home lol

remap and bcs = inc vat £309, which i think is a very fair price for a custom map.

my mind is at ease now knowing it has been looked over by hamish himself, afr's checked etc. i must say i have had a blast today and would recommend hlm to anyone.

looking forward to having mine checked over, buy someone who knows what there talking about, have paperwork with mine of recorded 290bhp on two different rollers, but have been worried since i've brought it that its all as should be, electronic boost control is being disconected cant see the need for it, these cars are fast enough. without having a self destruct button in the dash....

danny-R
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 21:03
Wow that torque figure is awesome!

come to think about it i'm not too sure if it were ftlbs or nm, i have a copy of the graph in my inbox that i will share with you all tomorrow

AndysR
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 21:39
400 ibft of torque is very impressive considering the bhp reading, so if it is ibft that is some result :) As for the pull higher up that must be a result of the larger turbo meaning boost tail off occurs higher up the rev range, nice to see a healthy amount of power from very little tweaking none the less :)

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th September 2009, 23:44
Good to see you guys. Hope you enjoyed the coffee. It was nice also to see Storm Troll - very blue interior.

I am going to do my own thread on the new bilsteins. Very impressive output given the mileage - over 180K.

I make no apologies for my ass.

Edit - or the ass of my car

lance
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 10:04
Nice power

danny-R
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 17:20
evening gents (and ladies of course) i have been busy all day fitting a new sony bluetooth stereo in the volvo for being good on the dyno and not self destructing.
with the stereo i have fitted an amplifier in the boot and ran all new speaker cables into the doors leaving all the old stereo intact so i can always put it back to standard if i like.
oh and built a subwoofer into the spare wheel well. a bit chavvy i know but what a difference it has made already, with a bit of tweeking i should get it just right :)

as for the the new remap, christ it's fast but in a totally different way to the rica with the 15g. i'm not 100% but i'm sure hamish said it was running a bar of boost till about 4000rpms, then 1.2 after that. the way it delivers power will take some getting used to,it feels quite tame till 4k then pulls very well, it is not the tyre shredding monster it
once was, (with the rica). dont get me wrong it is faster and a lot smoother with it but
i want my low down power , tyre shredding monster back lol.
i am thinking of adding a mbc to the equation, would this be a good or bad idea??

as wobbly has already mentioned it has done near enough 180,000 so the last thing i want to do is comprimise reliablity.
any advice would be great, especially if you have 18t/19t mbc setup

cheers

p fandango
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 17:30
as for the the new remap, christ it's fast but in a totally different way to the rica with the 15g. i'm not 100% but i'm sure hamish said it was running a bar of boost till about 4000rpms, then 1.2 after that. the way it delivers power will take some getting used to,it feels quite tame till 4k then pulls very well, it is not the tyre shredding monster it
once was, (with the rica). dont get me wrong it is faster and a lot smoother with it but i want my low down power , tyre shredding monster back lol.
i am thinking of adding a mbc to the equation, would this be a good or bad idea??
sounds very similiar to how my 19t used to behave, gave you enough power low down to overtake but the power just kept building up & up & never died off. Felt alot tamer & a bit boring compared to the 15g. Hamish has kept the boost low below 4000rpm to save the conrods, especially with a bigger turbo its very easy to bend them if you have too much boost. Thats one of the reasons i went for the Apexi AVC-R as i can control/adjust the boost thoughtout the rev range

jt850turbo
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 17:34
Well chuffed, my mind is at ease.... thanks hamish...worth every penny thanks again..... long live the black beast!!!

p fandango
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 17:42
Well chuffed, my mind is at ease.... thanks hamish...worth every penny thanks again..... long live the black beast!!!
did you lose much by taking the HKS off?

danny-R
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 17:47
Well chuffed, my mind is at ease.... thanks hamish...worth every penny thanks

nice one mate, how did you get on.

fandango, do you thing i could use an apexi like yours, safely along side this map? once the power starts coming after 4k it flies, but imagine you had a dream that you planted your foot doing 80 ish in 5th around 3000 revs.
it's like there was nothing there and in my dream i remember having to drop it down a gear on the motorway to build up speed quickly. (been having really strange dreams recently though)
that's not like me, with the rica i could plant my foot in 5th at any speed and you were off. i'm more than happy with it but i just want that little bit more,
but where do you stop? when your internals turn to mush lol?

jt850turbo
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 18:02
well had a few things sorted, boost control disconected, a new boost control solnoid fitted, blanking pate removed on turbo and turbo piped back up as it should be!
a dyno run then producing a somewhat lame 229hp clutch power/ 304 N-M torque....
then had a remap by hamish
new readings
273 horses and 421 N-M torque......

well chuffed the differance in the performance on the drive home, it was quite something,
i might as well use the previous dyno readings as rizla paper!

p fandango
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 18:02
fandango, do you thing i could use an apexi like yours, safely along side this map?
i can't see any reason why you can't use an EBC, its only a computer controlled MBC which a few people are using with remaps. As i always warn anyone tho the remap will of removed the MAF/overboost protection so you will have to be careful, but if used properly will give you control of how it boosts. They do take alot of setting up & playing with tho

once the power starts coming after 4k it flies, but imagine you had a dream that you planted your foot doing 80 ish in 5th around 3000 revs.
it's like there was nothing there and in my dream i remember having to drop it down a gear on the motorway to build up speed quickly. (been having really strange dreams recently though)
that's not like me, with the rica i could plant my foot in 5th at any speed and you were off.
hmm does sound a bit too flat, i stayed level with an Evo FQ300 on a 70-? dream without changing down. Since fitted the enlarged RIP kit & throttle body the lag has reduced even more, i'd say its now back on par with the 15g

i'm more than happy with it but i just want that little bit more,
but where do you stop? when your internals turn to mush lol?
your talking to the wrong person mate, i've never known when to stop lol

p fandango
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 18:04
well had a few things sorted, boost control disconected, a new boost control solnoid fitted, blanking pate removed on turbo and turbo piped back up as it should be!
a dyno run then producing a somewhat lame 229hp clutch power/ 304 N-M torque....
then had a remap by hamish
new readings
273 horses and 421 N-M torque......

well chuffed the differance in the performance on the drive home, it was quite something,
i might as well use the previous dyno readings as rizla paper!
tbh i did think 290bhp from a 15g was a bit high (but didn't say anything as i don't like peeing on someones bonfire), glad your happy with it now tho

jt850turbo
Wednesday 30th September 2009, 18:15
tbh i did think 290bhp from a 15g was a bit high (but didn't say anything as i don't like peeing on someones bonfire), glad your happy with it now tho
I feel im now the owner of my beast, not just someones hand me down, well chuffed, i now own paper work from 3 different rollers, and i know which one i would use again!, as i said before the other two will be used as rizla.

BigV
Friday 2nd October 2009, 12:30
i can't see any reason why you can't use an EBC, its only a computer controlled MBC which a few people are using with remaps. As i always warn anyone tho the remap will of removed the MAF/overboost protection so you will have to be careful, but if used properly will give you control of how it boosts. They do take alot of setting up & playing with tho

hmm does sound a bit too flat, i stayed level with an Evo FQ300 on a 70-? dream without changing down. Since fitted the enlarged RIP kit & throttle body the lag has reduced even more, i'd say its now back on par with the 15g

your talking to the wrong person mate, i've never known when to stop lol

There are a hell of a lot of dreamers on this forum. :wink::wink:

p fandango
Friday 2nd October 2009, 14:01
There are a hell of a lot of dreamers on this forum. :wink::wink:
lol if your meaning the bit about the Evo i assure you your wrong, don't forget an Evo is 4x4 so has alot more bhp drain than a T-5. I can also tell you my bro used to have a modified Mitsi VR-4 (rare manual) which hadn't got a chance of getting away from BT once on the move, his VR-4 was no slouch he came third in the Jap racer series at Avon park racing it

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4762/archive6.jpg

danny-R
Friday 2nd October 2009, 18:50
lol if your meaning the bit about the Evo i assure you your wrong, don't forget an Evo is 4x4 so has alot more bhp drain than a T-5. I can also tell you my bro used to have a modified Mitsi VR-4 (rare manual) which hadn't got a chance of getting away from BT once on the move, his VR-4 was no slouch he came third in the Jap racer series at Avon park racing it

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4762/archive6.jpg

i actually quite like the vr4 and many other fast jap's ( especially vtec's had 2)
was this before or after you stripped out bt?

a mate of mine is looking for a subaru legacy twin turbo, the only reason i don't own one now is the high insurance group and they're all imports
has anyone had a drive in one of these? feel free to shed some light :)

danny-R
Friday 2nd October 2009, 19:00
a before and after pic of my second favourite car, after the volvo of course!

Jamest5r
Friday 2nd October 2009, 19:06
Hello mate, how you getting on with the 18?? is there really no low down grunt, always fancied one on mine

danny-R
Friday 2nd October 2009, 19:14
funny you should ask me today, i had another one of them crazy dreams last night.
about my mates bmw E30 2.5 convertible with a turbo strapped to it, over 300bhp.
i was on the autobahn, i think lol. and he was only just pulling away from me.

if you are going through the gears eg 2nd up over after 4000rpms it feels fast. (but you have to go through the gears. 1st feels quite a bit slower than with the rica for some reason. and say for instance you plant your foot low down it feels a bit laggy/lame till you hit 4k. i wouldn't say i was 100% happy with it, if i did i'd be lying.
it if had that bit more midrange grunt, like 3000 up-over i'd be a much happier man, lol.

Jamest5r
Friday 2nd October 2009, 19:25
Talk to p fandango mate i think he fitted a larger throttle body off an s60r?? i think, cut the lag right down and quite an easy mod

danny-R
Friday 2nd October 2009, 19:47
Talk to p fandango mate i think he fitted a larger throttle body off an s60r?? i think, cut the lag right down and quite an easy mod
cheers mate
i think he has already mentioned he has throttle body off a 960.

fandango, if you read this could you advise me which 960's would come with this enlarged throttle body and also if it's a straight replacement for the standard one.

cheers

p fandango
Friday 2nd October 2009, 22:55
fandango, if you read this could you advise me which 960's would come with this enlarged throttle body and also if it's a straight replacement for the standard one.
its the 3litre one you want. Its not quite a straight fit, but a very easy one. The opening in the manifold has to be enlarged (i used a flap sander & didn't even bother to remove the manifold tbh), & the wires to the throttle position switch need extending as its turned 90degrees on the 960 one. Obviosly you'll also need the large piping to onto it. I haven't got my hard-drive with me or i'd post up a pic of a standard T-5 TB & a 960 one next to each other for comparison. It does make the throttle a bit like an on-off switch but i think it really does improve it no end

p fandango
Friday 2nd October 2009, 22:59
i actually quite like the vr4 and many other fast jap's ( especially vtec's had 2)
was this before or after you stripped out bt?
BT was SORN'd before i started the serious stripping, she did have the bucket seats in for quite a while whilst on the road, but i haven't driven her since the grinder has been brought out lol

a mate of mine is looking for a subaru legacy twin turbo, the only reason i don't own one now is the high insurance group and they're all imports
has anyone had a drive in one of these? feel free to shed some light :)
i borrowed the VR-4 for a week & was quite glad to get BT back, it may sound a bit odd but the VR-4 was boring there was no excitement in anything it did, it just did it calmly & got on with it

ANDYRACER
Saturday 3rd October 2009, 00:35
i borrowed the VR-4 for a week & was quite glad to get BT back, it may sound a bit odd but the VR-4 was boring there was no excitement in anything it did, it just did it calmly & got on with it

You aint the first one to say that about the VR4 mate.

p fandango
Saturday 3rd October 2009, 06:49
You aint the first one to say that about the VR4 mate.
i'd of thought most 4x4's would be the same!!

danny-R
Saturday 3rd October 2009, 09:02

unless it's snowing or you have a stupid amount of power. what about the V70R awd, drivetrain reliability aside, what are they like in comparison to fwd?

so fandangy how long has it been since you been out in BT? and when do you expect to have it back on the road?
obviously bt's not your daily driver, but what will it be getting used for once you've finished stripping her out, any racing of any sort or just the occasional blast out on a weekend?

p fandango
Saturday 3rd October 2009, 09:47
unless it's snowing or you have a stupid amount of power. what about the V70R awd, drivetrain reliability aside, what are they like in comparison to fwd?
my bro could get the VR-4 drifting quite well on sweeping corners, but you've got to be going silly fast that if it went wrong there'll be tears & a big bill lol (of course only done on private tracks). Never driven a Volvo AWD car so no idea mate

so fandangy how long has it been since you been out in BT? and when do you expect to have it back on the road?
think its been about 6months since she was SORN, i think very early next year is going to be the target. She doesn't need much now before she's MOTable

obviously bt's not your daily driver, but what will it be getting used for once you've finished stripping her out, any racing of any sort or just the occasional blast out on a weekend?
mainly RWYB days, a few trackdays & one of my goals is to take her to the Nurburgring. Hopefully use her for work some times as well

ANDYRACER
Saturday 3rd October 2009, 11:33

My old celica gt4 185 was a right laugh for a 4wd car, in the wet it drove like a rwd car lol

p fandango
Saturday 3rd October 2009, 14:45
My old celica gt4 185 was a right laugh for a 4wd car, in the wet it drove like a rwd car lol
i must admit one of the most impressive (dreams) i've seen was many years ago down the local McDonalds. All sat there like a normal sunday & a Lancia Delta Integrale drives in at a fair old pace, quick pull of the handbrake, flick of the wheel & floor the throttle & it just sits in the middle of the car park chasing its tail & pivoting perfectly around the middle of the car. Quite a few spins rounds then steers out of it & shoots off never to be seen again lol. Wouldn't do it in my own car tho, i've always wanted to try a full throttle launch in a 4x4 as well (wonder if there drivetrain can take it lol)

ANDYRACER
Saturday 3rd October 2009, 16:38
I used to do them in celica (in my dreams), they have a 40/60 power distribution.
Used to do perfect doughnuts lol.

And i did a 6k launch in my celica at USC last year and hit the exhaust off the floor it launched that hard lol

Damm i miss that car :(

Rhys
Saturday 3rd October 2009, 22:28
I did several doughnuts in my old BMW E30 320i on a roundabout once, span in circles - was quite interesting, was like slow motion. I hit a patch of oil and the back end went..

p fandango
Sunday 4th October 2009, 21:11
sorry its a bit late but just got back so here's the pic i promised

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7435/62188847.jpg
960 on the left, 850 T-5 on the right

danny-R
Monday 5th October 2009, 08:11
cheers for that, i will keep my eyes open for one, just hope it's not too hard to fit.

i cant wait to stop spending bleeding money on the thing tbh. i'v been using £20 a day fuel somedays, just to and from work, in excess of £100 per week. (getting a bit bored of spending half my time tesco garage)
the volvo is one very expensive habit that i just cant kick- i can stop smoking anyday!

my problem is my age, my insurance company will not insure me on 2 cars, so if i want something more economical for work it means i either have to take it off the road till my renewal in february or sell it to fund something, else i dont know what to ??

Tomcat
Monday 5th October 2009, 09:53
my problem is my age, my insurance company will not insure me on 2 cars, so if i want something more economical for work it means i either have to take it off the road till my renewal in february or sell it to fund something, else i dont know what to ??

That's strange, usually you get a good disount if you've got more than one car, how old are you??.

danny-R
Monday 5th October 2009, 10:26
That's strange, usually you get a good disount if you've got more than one car, how old are you??.

i'm the grand old age of 23 mate. untill i am 25 ecar will not insure me on 2 cars, i am named driver on my partners astra convertible but she uses it through the day and tbh it doesn't do my macho image any good lmao.

i am currently paying 1200 tpf&t, and my policy doesn't end till feb so i can't afford to take out an extra policy on top of the cost of a cheap runabout.
my head's baffled

ANDYRACER
Monday 5th October 2009, 12:53
Bloody hell i was 20 when i got mine and im only paying £1300tpft with mods declared threw flux.

cameron
Monday 5th October 2009, 13:53
Danny you have a PM buddy :D

danny-R
Monday 5th October 2009, 19:28
Bloody hell i was 20 when i got mine and im only paying £1300tpft with mods declared threw flux.

it looks like they seen me coming a mile off. pulled my pants down and had my eyes out :mad:

i recently got a quote from flux's for next year, me and the mrs fully comp for £700, but if i were to sign over now i would lose this years no claims and after this months payment my policy is cleared so 3 free months, till feb.
it would seem stupid to cancel it now but i NEED to buy a runabout as this bugger's bleeding me dry.

pm'd back cameron

shemtek_racing
Monday 5th October 2009, 20:54
i think you will find that is 400NM torque that equals just shy of 300 lb ft - well done though

didnt they used to quote 430NM just from a remap?

BigV
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 06:34
it looks like they seen me coming a mile off. pulled my pants down and had my eyes out :mad:

i recently got a quote from flux's for next year, me and the mrs fully comp for £700, but if i were to sign over now i would lose this years no claims and after this months payment my policy is cleared so 3 free months, till feb.
it would seem stupid to cancel it now but i NEED to buy a runabout as this bugger's bleeding me dry.

pm'd back cameron

Does the cost of buying that run about not cancel out the fuel saving?

I'm 23 as well, insurance in a bad post code is also about £1300 (FC) a year on a T5. 2yrs NCB. I have found Bell.co.uk to be the cheapest for the last few years, they also offer a 'drive other cars TPFT option' which means I can drive anything legally in an emergency. Also sometimes it is actually cheaper to buy FC than TPFT for some strange reason.

p fandango
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 07:28
thats not a bad price at all, you'll always find people who have managed to get better deals & paying cheaper (cheaper location, more people on policy etc). You've got to look at what you could be insuring for that money, i know people who are paying that to insure a Saxo or similiar. When i first got BT i was paying £1500 FC & that was standard, & 10years ago so before the insurance hike

danny-R
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 09:02
Does the cost of buying that run about not cancel out the fuel saving?

if i bought another car i understand i would have 2 lots of tax, mot and will have to take out another policy

it has got to the point now where every penny i get ends up going on the volvo in one way or another. if i have a busy week i can put over £100 a week in the tank and i'm just getting a bit bored of it tbh.
i reckon if i were to get a diesel to use for work i could be saving around £250 per month on fuel.

BigV
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 09:17
if i bought another car i understand i would have 2 lots of tax, mot and will have to take out another policy

it has got to the point now where every penny i get ends up going on the volvo in one way or another. if i have a busy week i can put over £100 a week in the tank and i'm just getting a bit bored of it tbh.
i reckon if i were to get a diesel to use for work i could be saving around £250 per month on fuel.

Fair enough, sounds like you would get the money back pretty fast. There are some pretty fast diesels about now as well.

danny-R
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 13:22
and just when you thought things couldn't get any worse. i just went to my mates house to have a look at a bit of plastering to do, jumped in the car to leave and reversed into the driver door of her pugeot 307 convertible hardtop thing.
not a great deal of damage but will probably need a door skin or a spray job at least.
obviously i don't want to go through the insurance if i dont have to but if i cannot come up with the funds by the end of the week i will have to, and this will mean losing my no claims and possibly be forced to sell the car, really am gutted though :(

the best thing is when i wiped of the trace of silver paint off my back bumper there was not a mark on it. good old volvo bus