PDA

View Full Version : My knobs a little stiff in the mornings and its hard to get it in!

Liddo
Monday 28th September 2009, 11:34
That's gearknob..........you dirty lot :D

My S60 D5 has a strange problem, and I hope someone on here may know what it is, before i get ripped off by some dodgey mechanic.

When its been stood a day or two, i find that i have to pump the clutch a few times, to enable me to get the car into gear. Once im up and running, its fine. The clutch is fine, with no slippage and a good bite to it.

When i got the belts done last week, I asked the guy to bleed the clutch for me. He said he'd done it, but didnt notice any air in it. He said it could be a leaky clutch cylinder, but i havent noticed any drips anywhere.

Any ideas chaps and chapesses???

S60-MBS
Monday 28th September 2009, 11:43
Thats common issue with gearbox splines,you can live with it or get the splines regreased cant .imagine removing gear is going to be cheap.

Flatout Phil
Monday 28th September 2009, 11:44
Sorry to hear you have been having to pump it a bit to get it in, this can happen with age. Sounds like a leaky master cylinder to me - not had this on a Vol, but on the old Imp you could get a leaky seal and get a similar problem. No doubt someone will have a better idea - but the system is pretty simple to analyse. If you are having to pump it up and then it works fine, then it is almost certainly a hydraulic issue - unless for some reason the clutch is rusting up or the thrust bearing is worn out, both seem unlikely.

Jaseb77
Monday 28th September 2009, 15:55
I find reverse difficult sticky to engage, but go for 4th first them reverse off the drive and its fine,

the box is a bit gluey to start till it warms up a bit

Liddo
Monday 28th September 2009, 19:17
I find reverse difficult sticky to engage, but go for 4th first them reverse off the drive and its fine,

the box is a bit gluey to start till it warms up a bit

Ohhhhh, I'll give that a go. It IS always reverse I going for, but saying that, even first is a bit of a b**tch :(

Cheers chaps for the replies. I'll live with it, as its no biggy (until it gets worse that is)

cornclose
Monday 28th September 2009, 21:49
Get an auto*. :eclipsee_ :B_thumb: :smileypul

* There's plenty of digging here from the manual boys about autos, so I thought I stick one in.. .:insane:

Liddo
Monday 28th September 2009, 22:17
Get an auto*. :eclipsee_ :B_thumb: :smileypul

* There's plenty of digging here from the manual boys about autos, so I thought I stick one in.. .:insane:

Git :nutkick:

;)

shemtek_racing
Saturday 3rd October 2009, 21:16
Sorry to hear you have been having to pump it a bit to get it in, this can happen with age. Sounds like a leaky master cylinder to me - not had this on a Vol, but on the old Imp you could get a leaky seal and get a similar problem. No doubt someone will have a better idea - but the system is pretty simple to analyse. If you are having to pump it up and then it works fine, then it is almost certainly a hydraulic issue - unless for some reason the clutch is rusting up or the thrust bearing is worn out, both seem unlikely.

i remeber why i stopped coming on here now.