PDA

View Full Version : P1 Brake Size identification. Using Chassis Code

Rufe
Saturday 26th September 2009, 19:46
I often get asked how do you tell the brake disk size on the P1 model without measuring them. As most people know the P1 model V70, S70 and C70 had two brake options from the factory, either 302mm diameter, or 288mm diameter. (there was also a rare 320mm option too, but that is not covered here I am afraid).

There is a VIN plate on the car, on the inside of the passenger side front wing which has a lot of information. If you look at the bottom right hand code on this plate it will be 8 digits long (sometimes 7, but usually 8). This code tells us various things, but importantly, the 1st and 2nd digits refer to the brake disk size.

Here is a screenshot from VADIS.

(Click image to see it in full size)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/rufe_v6/diskinfo1.jpg

[NOTE: Those who have VADIS will see that on there they actually list them as 15" and 16", this is NOT related to wheel size. If you look at the 320mm options you will see those are listed as 17", so these sizes are an indication to the brake size used, not wheel size. We are unsure as to exactly what these sizes refer to, even the current cars use a similar system.]

I hope this helps,

Simon :)

sen
Saturday 26th September 2009, 19:49
Superb that, thanks a mind full of information.

Baj
Monday 28th September 2009, 01:58
Got a similar 'Rosetta Stone' for the P2s?

Rufe
Friday 2nd October 2009, 16:32
no sorry baj mate, unfortunatly not. However, generally with all cars after 1999 we can simply find this information out from registration number of the vehicle.

Simon