PDA

View Full Version : Removing wax/polish etc

sebasteeno
Saturday 26th September 2009, 10:30
If i wanted to remove all wax and polish etc from my car in order to start from scratch and machine polish etc whats the best way of doing it?

Im not rich so can anyone reccomend a low cost product to do this?

phil_woods
Saturday 26th September 2009, 10:35
Cutting compound and an electric mop mate and loads of water. If you don't know what your doing though find someone who does because it can kill your paintwork quite quickly. If done correctly though there is nothing bettter, it brings up the paint like new. I'm not sure about this one but I think tfr (traffic film remover) watered down also removes some of it too. I have been advised though not to use this on paint due to it's acidity. So I don't know why I suggested it really.
The mop is the best way to go! Good luck

sen
Saturday 26th September 2009, 10:42
the best way to go about this is too get yourself a clay kit from halford's Meguires do one for around the £20 mark. Follow the instructions very easy to do just keep the clay well lubricated with your quick detailing spray. You will see the crap come off on your clay. Before you start rub your hand over your paint work it will probably feel rough after claying it will feel smooth due to the clay removing all the contaminants. ie tree sap etc. If you just go straight with the buffer before claying it is a pointless exercise really cos all your doing it creating swirls etc with the crap that is stuck to the paint. Any further questions pm me mate happy to help.

Libra
Saturday 26th September 2009, 19:17
I agree totally with what sen has typed. Buy a Meguiars Quik Clay kit and wash the car using a 2 bucket method, dry and then clay the whole car, then re wash dry and do what you want to do, corrective polishing, then glaze and then a good wax.

The Clay will strip wax and polish from the paint.

sebasteeno
Saturday 26th September 2009, 21:12
Thanks guys. Best get some clay then.

As for products ive got Auto Glym Ultra deep shine, Turtle wax Colour magic, Extreme nanotech polishing wax and some Simoniz Diamond hard wax and some Farecla G3.

My plan was to do the cutting with the G3 using the polisher, then colour magic it, top that with the Autoglym then finally a coat of the diamond hard wax.

Bearing in mind im only a beginner does that sound a good way to go?

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 26th September 2009, 21:46
Colour magic is not very good stuff IMHO. All you end up doing is staining the scratches.

Best to go with Menzerna Intensive Polish to cut the paint with a good cutting pad - then glaze it, seal it and find a nice LSP (last stage product) you like.

sebasteeno
Saturday 26th September 2009, 22:22
Colour magic is not very good stuff IMHO. All you end up doing is staining the scratches.

Best to go with Menzerna Intensive Polish to cut the paint with a good cutting pad - then glaze it, seal it and find a nice LSP (last stage product) you like.
THe car looks fantastic when i use it though. Better than any of the other products i have IMO.

The Menzerna stuff is expensive too and not really form me. I want the best shine i can get on a budget

RollingThunder
Sunday 27th September 2009, 09:39
Have a look here for good prices on polishes etc. http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/index.html Excellent service too. Lots of good advice and a discount code on this forum http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

If you don't have a power polisher yet, I'd recommend you get a DA one rather than a radial one - they're much kinder (safer!) to newbies (like me). I bought a Kestrel and am very happy with it - brought my pink bonnet back to scarlet red. Just got the rest of the car to do... :(

sen
Sunday 27th September 2009, 10:20
As you are on a tight budget mate do your machining with your g3 (carefully) then use some autoglym super resin polish. It is underrated will give you a good finish. You can apply this by hand or buffer, it is also a very light cut too. Good luck mate and enjoy