PDA

View Full Version : RPM sensor hitting flexplate ring

NorthlandDave
Friday 25th September 2009, 08:40
Hi, has anyone got any ideas on this. Car threw RPM sensor codes 214 and 131 so pulled it out and it is marked on the bottom where it has been hitting the sensor ring on the flexplate/driveplate. I've tried putting another sensor in and it is still hitting, makes a tick, tick, tick sound with engine running.

The only thing I can think of is the flexplate/driveplate is damaged causing it to hit the sensor, but I haven't been able to find any posts on this or much on the internet and this isn't a usual problem on the 850's as far as I know.

I've tried unbolting the sensor mounting bracket and rebolting it as high as possible but that hasn't helped, not much movement in the mounting.

Cheers,

Dave

Dangerous Dave
Friday 25th September 2009, 18:39
Have you removed the plugs, and then rotated the crank to check the sensor ring all the way round? Perhaps something has lodged in the ring.

The only other thing I can think that could happen is that the flywheel could be loose, coming away from the engine and catching the sensor (but thats highly unlikely)

Some info I have lists causes of the codes as "damage to carrier plate/flywheel"

NorthlandDave
Saturday 26th September 2009, 08:08
Removed the starter motor and checked the sensor ring by turning the crank. Can see it is rubbing at points, but there doesn't appear to be damage to the sensor ring, no cracks, nothing stuck in it, etc.

Seems it could be the flywheel/flexplate (is auto) is loose, but will need to remove the transmission to check this, unless something else can cause this?

Cheers

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 26th September 2009, 08:55
OK, next thing to do is eliminate the sensor. You need to get another one to compare them. The sensor cover might have dropped, or something shifted on it to cause the rubbing, I don't know how close they are to the flywheel. That seems the best thing to do before going through a transmission removal.

Is there anyone you can borrow one off (or soemones car LOL)?

Has it had the rear crank seal done? thats the only reason I can think for it coming loose, as there are 10 bolts holding it on, and they ain't nipped up, they're mega torqued.

NorthlandDave
Sunday 27th September 2009, 10:29
Hi, tried another sensor but still hits sensor ring, the two sensors look to be indentical though.

Had an engine change in 2007 and the rear crank seal was done then, sounds like the bolts might not have been torqued to spec or new bolts were not fitted perhaps?