PDA

View Full Version : VPCUK codereader for loan

Al115
Thursday 24th September 2009, 20:06
Hello fellow VPCUK-ers,

I was thinking of a way to give a little something back to the VPCUK community, which has been so helpful to me over the last few years - particularly recently with my troubleshooting woes! :)

The best idea I came up with was to donate a EOBD diagnostic troublecode reader, which will aid troubleshooting on the vast majority of our vehicles (what's always the first thing to check when your car breaks? "read the codes, Luke...!") However not everyone has a basic code reader available, or the inclination to buy one, so now we have a VPCUK Code Reader that is available for loan to members:

http://www.naiad.org.uk/pictures/obd2.jpg

The loan system will work entirely on trust:

I've started a new thread to track "who's got the code reader" here (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?p=259787).
If you need to borrow the reader, look at the thread and send a PM the member last listed there with your address. They will send it to you.
In return for borrowing it, gratis, you have to undertake to look after it (and the instruction manual!), send it on by first class post, recorded delivery, to the next member who requests it, and update the thread with who's got it.

I can't undertake to replace it if it gets lost, but hopefully it will be around for some time and help out as many members as possible.

Other notes:

Members must be resident in UK, Highland and Islands & Ireland only (sorry other European-ers, but the risk of losing the thing in cheapy unrecorded EU mail is too great)
Neither I nor VPCUK accept any liability for any diagnosis made with the code reader, or indeed damage resulting from use of the code reader (if such is possible!)
Members must have a post-count of 20 or more to request the code reader (else, you could be JohnnyBoyRacer and we might never see it again... :) )

Any questions or other suggestions, post up here and I will answer!

UPDATE: the instruction manual is available here (http://www.naiad.org.uk/U480.pdf).

jdavis
Thursday 24th September 2009, 23:37
what a really good idea!

AlanG
Thursday 24th September 2009, 23:49
Is it easier to smash your windscreen with this as opposed to a rattle??........:D

Seriously Al,brilliant idea.......Top man..:B_thumb:

Tomcat
Friday 25th September 2009, 00:08
Not to pee on your idea Al, but I had the same idea a long time ago and lent out my service light reset tool, the first person used it and returned it, but somewhere along the way it went walkies and I've never had it back..... Just a little food for thought.

claymore
Friday 25th September 2009, 07:51
I think it might be a good idea to stipulate recorded delivery, that way there is always a paper trail.

Rhys
Friday 25th September 2009, 09:08
I think it might be a good idea to stipulate recorded delivery, that way there is always a paper trail.

Aye, and it's a small cost to pay.. and it's insured IIRC.

uzyg
Friday 25th September 2009, 10:25
brilliant idea. Tis what makes this forum great!

LeeT5
Friday 25th September 2009, 11:43
I agree. Brilliant idea...but we should all insist on recorded delivery. Its only a couple of quid!!:biggrin:

Al115
Friday 25th September 2009, 12:13
Good suggestions guys. Recorded Delivery it is then!

Already got the first loan requested :-)

AlanG
Friday 25th September 2009, 13:29
[QUOTE=Al115;260026]Good suggestions guys. Recorded Delivery it is then!

Took that as read,can't trust the postal service at the best of times..

wellsy
Friday 25th September 2009, 17:09
what a very generous great idea :D
i also think recorded delivery is a must ,like already said only a couple of quid and insured and tracable .

im afraid i will be requesting the use of the reader very soon as mycheck engine light has been on for a week or 2..

a huge thanks to alistair for this cheers wellsy

JelT5
Saturday 26th September 2009, 09:48
Members must be resident in UK, Highland and Islands & Ireland only (sorry other European-ers, but the risk of losing the thing in cheapy unrecorded EU mail is too great)

We do have recorded mail here in the third world, honestly!

Just pulling your leg mate, it's pigeon post all the way ;)

Rufe
Saturday 26th September 2009, 20:26
a quality idea!

can i add though that in my opinion if this reader is worth more than £36 (the max covered by recorded delivery), which i would guess it is, i would recommend only using royal mail special delivery. its £6.70 for a next day 'signed for' service up to 1Kg (unsure of the weight of this it may be less than 500g boxed if so £5.40 special delivery). you cant really beat special delivery, as its a next day by 1pm service and insured up to £500. just my 2 penny worth.

Simon

Alan M
Sunday 27th September 2009, 18:29
Does this code reader work with the 4.3 motronic system?

Niles
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 12:23
will this work on my 850 T5 1996? If so can i borrow it?

Al115
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 12:50
Alan M / Niles - find out if your cars are EOBD compliant. If so you can request the code reader by PMing whoever has it, here:
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?p=259787

Cheers.

streaky744
Monday 7th December 2009, 01:00
fantastic idea.

may i add for the reader to be passed from member to member using a site called parcel monkey. this is an online courier service which for the size and weight of this item would cost you no more than £6.00 to send it door to door next working day.

this site is basically a way for dhl / fedex and the like to get extra work but at a great saving to jo public. very easy to use and i have used them many a time with no problems and is a lot safer than royal mail as parcel are tracked at all times from collection.

just an idea for the future users maybe

http://www.parcelmonkey.co.uk/

for the code reader or any other things you want to post

Haizum74
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 21:49
Read a bit of the instruction manual. not sure about section 1, number 5 lol

stevie69
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 22:01
iv got the code reader if anyone else wants it..

Haizum74
Wednesday 13th April 2011, 06:37
iv got the code reader if anyone else wants it..

Yes please.

stevie69
Wednesday 13th April 2011, 11:23
send me your address and ill post it..

Haizum74
Monday 18th April 2011, 10:39
send me your address and ill post it..

Got it cheers. :wavey:

Haizum74
Monday 13th June 2011, 13:56
Posted to Blackdog today

Blackdog
Wednesday 15th June 2011, 22:10
Got it.

Thanks

Tomcat
Wednesday 15th June 2011, 22:25
Can I have it when your done with it please.

Blackdog
Thursday 16th June 2011, 06:34
Tomcat

PM your address and it will be on it's way

t5steve
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 14:25
I'm fairly new to vpuk but have been given some very useful advice from members and i think it is a great idea and a wonderful gesture, not enough posts for me yet but will keep going and wait my turn. keep up the good work guys, many thanks from t5steve

lego hair
Monday 26th September 2011, 16:40
can i have the code reader please when your done light getting on my nerves now

Al115
Monday 26th September 2011, 17:50
Two years and two days on, and the codereader is still in circulation. Love it :)

adam280
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 21:05
can i have a borrow next please.thanks adam