PDA

View Full Version : S60 engine won't start!

marc1401
Sunday 5th June 2005, 23:44
Hi all, from this afternoon the engine doesn't start! When I turn the key the engine turns over but just doesn't 'catch' if you know what I mean? No warnings lights or nothing either.

I called my garage and he suggested it was the PPC prog so I've retuned it to normal but this doesn't help either. If the mechanical pixies don't do their magic by the morning then the garage is going to tow it away to fix it so I'm just waiting for the massive repair bill.

Does anybody know what it could be? I haven't seen any reported faults apart from the throttle boddies, but the dealer reckons I would've experienced all kinds of warning lights prior to it going but up until this afternoon it ran perfectly.

What's going on? :wtf:

JackT5
Monday 6th June 2005, 06:02
I had a similar thing happen on my 850, and it was the immobiliser, but locking then unlocking with the remote cured mine and it only ever did it the once.

Jack

marc1401
Monday 6th June 2005, 11:31
Cheers for the reply mate, the garage have just collected the car and I've now got an old green 850 2.0 as a replacement for the time being.!

philt6
Monday 6th June 2005, 11:38
Mine was the imobiliser and alarm
cost a lot of money

marc1401
Monday 6th June 2005, 12:23
I was hoping for a nice low cost repair bill too! Bloody cars when they go wrong they really are crap and to make it worse I need a full set of tyres and a service too. Woe is me.

philt6
Monday 6th June 2005, 16:15
For your tyres try the autotrader website
Got mine off there.
How old is your S60

Andrew
Monday 6th June 2005, 16:18
Yeah but you got an 850 - rock on!

Ivan
Monday 6th June 2005, 17:29
Cam-sensor?

marc1401
Tuesday 7th June 2005, 20:43
The garage hasn't rang me so I'm not tempting fate yet! I'll be ringing up tomorrow to enquire about my poor unwell 2001 S60. Hope it's a cheap fix!

Anyway the old green 850 I've got I've grown really fond of which I didn't think i would, it's like sitting in a massive comfy armchair plus it smells of a private hire taxi - lovely! That familiar smelll mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I'm going mad.

Fingers crossed it's healed itself already :-)

philt6
Thursday 9th June 2005, 13:01
hi marc
ne news

marc1401
Friday 1st July 2005, 19:16
I forgot all about this thread, sorry for the delay repklying mate. I got it fixed last time, cost me £330 from the dealer I bought it from.

He told me the car had an "incorrect configuration" code and put it down to the PPC system software corrupting the ECU. He reset the car to 2005 edition software and it ran fine. When I picked it up I took the PPC unit to him and he commented "these are usually very good"...

Anyway, to cut to the chase - this morning the same bloody thing happened again only this time it did start, hunted itself to 4000rpm then slowly dwindled and stalled. It did this about five times before it ran properly.

I took it back this morning, and just got a call from him. He says the car displayed an error code relating to boost problems, but again he's reloaded the software and it runs fine again. I've asked him how this can be the case when thousands of other people have PPC installed without problems but he can't explain it.

Without offending anybody, this S60 is the worst car I've ever had!!! It costs a bloody fortune to run, to maintain and what with it refusing to act like a car and do a simple thing like, turn the key and I'll start for you...I'm now that sick of it I'm getting rid of it.

I'm sorry to say that, I thought owning one of these would be great - and it was for just over a year. Now I can't stand the bloody thing.

According to What Car valuation its worth a touch over £5K, so I'm selling it and getting a little £1k- £2k motor and will run that until the end of its life. Anything that doesn't have as many onboard computers as the S60 will suit me just fine - less problems.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll probably not be back at all.
Stay classy all you lot, it's been great....

Marc 1401

dave
Friday 1st July 2005, 20:08
i had one, no engine problems atall, i think the problem maybe lies with the pcc affecting it to begin with.

every car i have brought over the years has had problems, brand new, nearer new, 2nd hand, or maybe it the way drive them!

dave

marc1401
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 09:18
Lol! I know what you mean mate...

Now its another day and in the cold light of this morning I'm feeling a bit remorseful about my decision to get rid of Bea!!!

What would you do, here's the score...I don't really want to sell her but I need to have a reliable car that will do me for the next 3 and a bit years coz I bought her on a 5yr term bank loan thinking "nowt will go wrong, she;'s a big strong Swedish girl!"

I'm thinking ahead of the potential for more problems in the remaining time I have her and the cost of repairs against buying another car that if it goes wrong will only cost buttons to repair if you know what I mean...?

What to do?

And to make it worse, do you remember I said Mrs 1401 had put a deposit on a silver 2001 C70 and was about to sell her current ride (a 3cyl 1tr Corsa - eeeeeeeeeeeurgh)? Well she can't get a bank loan to buy the C70 due to all the remortgaging we've been doing to finance this frickin house extension!

Looks like we're gonna lose a £500 deposit on her too!
Woe is me, my sh*t existance continues!!!

Any ideas?

If I sold my S60, I want a replacement turbo volvo that goes just as fast. Any ideas? 850T5? Ex police??

:bricks:

volvotuning
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 10:35
I sent you a pm.

Adam.

Andrew
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 10:48
Chap - buy Wobbly Daves 855R - bargin money and you'll be very happy - far more reliable than these modern whatsits :)

volvotuning
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 12:57
Don't get ex-police. It will cost you more money than the car is worth.

Adam.

siamblue
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 15:53
I am starting to get a bit annoyed at people making anti Ex Police T5 remarks about not buying the cars,
My car and TDS's car are Ex Police and both have over 140k miles on them,
So why shouldn't people buy our cars or any other T5 enthusiasts ex Police?
I think it would be better for people to state why they shouldn't buy ex Police instead of just Don't buy,

Rant off.............

Gary

volvotuning
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 16:22
Gary, although it's true that you can come across ex-police cars that aren't so bad, 99% of them will require a lot of money spending on them, making the experience very distressing and very expensive. I know this because I see a lot of them. So, here is a list as to why you shouldn't buy them (which applies to cars direct from the force, not yet privately owned) -

1. Very harshly treated. The suspension will be knackered due to climbing kerbs etc, and the engine will have much less life left in it compared to a civilian car of the same mileage. Thrashed non stop.

2. Most of the components will need replacing.

3. The bodywork is appalling, and many have clearly been involved in big accidents.

4. The spec is very poor, so you won't get the high spec that you get in the normal cars. So no radio, etc.

5. Interior trim is a mess. Holes everywhere, ripped seats, generally poor state.

6. Unknown service history.

7. Evidence of engine damage caused by thing like overheating.

8. High price. Many are sold according to parkers guide prices. But no police car can ever be classified in the same price bracket as a normal car. A 100K police car is equivalent to a 200K normal car!

9. Shabby repairs made by dealers who sell them.

10. Transmission and power train problems due to driver abuse.

That's at least 10 reasons not to buy one. Like I said earlier, we see lots of them, and the biggest problem is that most of them will cost you more than the car is worth just to get the thing to a half decent standard.

Having seen how bad these ex-police cars can be, I could never ever recommend that anyone should buy one. This isn't personal Gary, or anyone else who owns one, because you're clearly happy with yours. But find me a police officer who would recommend an ex-police car to anyone. I think you will struggle. It's not about offending people, after all it's your choice. But there is no way I could ever recommend one, because I can almost guarantee that it will cost a fortune.

The other aspect is safety. I've seen one which was sold with a buckled "A" pillar. Now you can't tell me that this car will still have it's original body strength and rigidity, making it a potential death trap in a big accident.

Adam.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 17:53
Gary, although it's true that you can come across ex-police cars that aren't so bad, 99% of them will require a lot of money spending on them, making the experience very distressing and very expensive. I know this because I see a lot of them. So, here is a list as to why you shouldn't buy them (which applies to cars direct from the force, not yet privately owned) -

1. Very harshly treated. The suspension will be knackered due to climbing kerbs etc, and the engine will have much less life left in it compared to a civilian car of the same mileage. Thrashed non stop.

2. Most of the components will need replacing.

3. The bodywork is appalling, and many have clearly been involved in big accidents.

4. The spec is very poor, so you won't get the high spec that you get in the normal cars. So no radio, etc.

5. Interior trim is a mess. Holes everywhere, ripped seats, generally poor state.

6. Unknown service history.

7. Evidence of engine damage caused by thing like overheating.

8. High price. Many are sold according to parkers guide prices. But no police car can ever be classified in the same price bracket as a normal car. A 100K police car is equivalent to a 200K normal car!

9. Shabby repairs made by dealers who sell them.

10. Transmission and power train problems due to driver abuse.

That's at least 10 reasons not to buy one. Like I said earlier, we see lots of them, and the biggest problem is that most of them will cost you more than the car is worth just to get the thing to a half decent standard.

Having seen how bad these ex-police cars can be, I could never ever recommend that anyone should buy one. This isn't personal Gary, or anyone else who owns one, because you're clearly happy with yours. But find me a police officer who would recommend an ex-police car to anyone. I think you will struggle. It's not about offending people, after all it's your choice. But there is no way I could ever recommend one, because I can almost guarantee that it will cost a fortune.

The other aspect is safety. I've seen one which was sold with a buckled "A" pillar. Now you can't tell me that this car will still have it's original body strength and rigidity, making it a potential death trap in a big accident.

Adam.
Each to there own innit at the end of the day, but i must say the bulk of the time i ever see a police traffic they are tootling along at sedate speeds, i dont recall ever seeing a pursuit etc ever in my area, and i think a lot of forces now are quite careful as to the damage caused to dashboards, roofs etc, and i would have no qualms myself about crash damage, i'm sure a wing here and there is acceptable, i can't envisage any force using unsafe vehicles or selling unsafe vehicles on, but all healthy debate i'm sure.

marc1401
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 19:16
I sent you a pm.

Adam.

Thanks to Adam I'm about 90% certain I'm keeping my S60!! Yay!
The other 10% has been spent on the potential that a bargain S60 T5 will be her replacement!

Thanks Adam :partysmil

marc1401
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 19:23
:mgshoot: :mgshoot: :mgshoot: :mgshoot: :mgshoot: :mgshoot:
BSR - PPC - BSR - PPC - BSR - PPC - BSR - PPC - BSR - PPC :mgshoot: :mgshoot: :mgshoot: :mgshoot: :mgshoot: :mgshoot: :firedevil

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 3rd July 2005, 01:16
:mgshoot: :mgshoot: :mgshoot: :mgshoot: :mgshoot: :mgshoot:
BSR - PPC - BSR - PPC - BSR - PPC - BSR - PPC - BSR - PPC :mgshoot: :mgshoot: :mgshoot: :mgshoot: :mgshoot: :mgshoot: :firedevil
i'll take that as a no then

Al115
Sunday 3rd July 2005, 10:08
Just to stray even further off topic and contribute to the ex-police debate... :slap:

Gary - as you know, my car is also ex-police, at 162k - and is putting out healthy performance. However I have had to do a fair bit of work to bring it up to standard. Therefore I have some sympathy with Adam's viewpoint, and my personal recommendation would be that people don't buy ex-police **except** if they are car enthusiasts and don't mind gettting involved with the inevitable high-mileage, high-usage repairs, AND if they check the car out very carefully first (includes lifting it up in the air), AND if they have budgeted for repairs, OR if they are buying an ex-police car that has been privately owned and "shaken down" for a while.

Frankly most of the ex-police cars running around this site are fine, I've seen a lot of them and some are stunners. However there are some dogs out there. I'm told that the worst (ie, those needing most work) go to auction, whereas the better ones get sold off to dealers in the know before they get that far!

Back on topic - Marc - glad you're sticking with Volvo!

Alastair

marc1401
Sunday 3rd July 2005, 19:34
Just to stray even further off topic and contribute to the ex-police debate... :slap:

Gary - as you know, my car is also ex-police, at 162k - and is putting out healthy performance. However I have had to do a fair bit of work to bring it up to standard. Therefore I have some sympathy with Adam's viewpoint, and my personal recommendation would be that people don't buy ex-police **except** if they are car enthusiasts and don't mind gettting involved with the inevitable high-mileage, high-usage repairs, AND if they check the car out very carefully first (includes lifting it up in the air), AND if they have budgeted for repairs, OR if they are buying an ex-police car that has been privately owned and "shaken down" for a while.

Frankly most of the ex-police cars running around this site are fine, I've seen a lot of them and some are stunners. However there are some dogs out there. I'm told that the worst (ie, those needing most work) go to auction, whereas the better ones get sold off to dealers in the know before they get that far!

Back on topic - Marc - glad you're sticking with Volvo!

Alastair

Cheers Alastair, I'm glad too. It'sa good car I take back everything I said about Bea in the last post :saythat: apart from the PPC :mgshoot: