PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shaft Inner CV Boot replacement

wright_t5
Thursday 24th September 2009, 15:30
Hi Out there

Anyone done one of these? the boot near the gearbox has split and want to know roughly how bad a job this is??

Like what you have to take off, driveshaft obviously, but where do you split it to replace the boot?

as I am changing the wishbone bushes, good time to change this as well...

I presume all the oil comes out of the gearbox too!!! unless I can tip it over enough!!

Oh, an where's bex=st to get parts?

Cheers.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 24th September 2009, 16:45
The hardest point as far as I know is undoing the driveshaft nut - tightened to buggery 140ft lbs (or something silly) and a friend smashed my torque wrench trying to get it off. Lucky for me the C70 drive shaft design is changed and has a bolt rather than a nut.

And yes the gearbox will leak.

You have to fish about a bit to find the washer/split pin thing inside the cv joint to get the CVJ off, as I don't believe it is possible to stretch the boot over it.

Is this the long or short half shaft?

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 24th September 2009, 18:07
Nah WD, I just use a t-bar and a 6 foot scaffold bar. Driveshaft nut is 120Nm, then a further 60 degrees.

The oil level is usually around the same as the bottom of the driveshaft seal on the gearbox, so If you get it jacked up on the one side, it won't leak.

Only ever replaced the boots on the outer cv joints, though my inner n/s one has split, so gonna need to replace it soon.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 25th September 2009, 09:19
Thankfully I haven't had to attempt one in a long time.

v70torslanda
Friday 25th September 2009, 22:26
Do not split the inner joint from the shaft!

If you do you will need a new driveshaft. Remove the driveshaft and the outer cv joint then feed the boot on to the inner joint from the outer end

HTH

J

dave stew
Sunday 27th September 2009, 09:41

If you do you will need a new driveshaft. Remove the driveshaft and the outer cv joint then feed the boot on to the inner joint from the outer end

HTH

J

Good point! Been there, done that...

wright_t5
Sunday 27th September 2009, 15:18

HTH

J

So I presume the outer CV joint comes off quite easy?? as knocking the outer CV joint will try and split the inner joint??

wright_t5
Sunday 27th September 2009, 15:20
T

Is this the long or short half shaft?

It's the near side/Passenger inner boot....

Problems have got worse now.. car is broke!! wont fire...

Dangerous Dave
Monday 28th September 2009, 11:49
So I presume the outer CV joint comes off quite easy?? as knocking the outer CV joint will try and split the inner joint?? Yeah, there is a spring clip on the driveshaft right in the cv joint that you have to open out, then tap the cv joint off. Its not too hard, but its usually buried in grease. Best thing to do is change the outer cv boots aswell if they're coming off.