1, can anyone tell me where the fuel pressure regulator is on a 98 v40 t4

2, is the FPR same on all v40's or is the t4 different

3, what should the pressure be and how can test it

any help would be great

Al115
Wednesday 23rd September 2009, 21:12
1. behind the fuel rail, between injectors #1 and #2
2. same on 2.0T and T4, not sure about the others
3. pressure should be plentybar (check a Haynes manual), connect a pressure tester to the schrader valve on the end of the fuel rail and turn the ignition to position 2 so the pump primes. Or, without a pressure tester, ignition pos 2, pump primes, ignition off, prod the schrader valve gently with a small screwdriver and if fuel covers the engine bay and squirts in your face, there's enough. No smoking. :D

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 23rd September 2009, 21:20
AFAIK the FPR on the fuel rail is set to 3.1 bar

I seem to remember that one guy on here (think it was powernut with the T5 in his beetle) used a tyre inflator gauge (one from a compressor kit), but I'm not sure how safe that would be.

Johnny5
Wednesday 23rd September 2009, 21:23
The fuel pressure regulator on the V40 is located in the fuel rail with all the injectors, and comes off as a unit. First you have to remove the plastic engine cover and look for it. It has blue connectors on one side. When you see the fuel injector rail on the left hand side of it there is a tyre type valve to lower the fuel pressure so it won't blow right into your face, and the fuel pressure regulator is connecter to the right hand side of the fuel injector rail. You just take it out (there is one screw to unscrew it) and then you can take it out of the rail and put in a new one.

I would suggest that it may have a different pressure setting than other V40's i.e maybe a higher pressure on the turbo models but im not 100% on that one!

It is possible to test the pressure by attaching a pressure guage to that "tyre" type valve on the end of the injector rail.... but im not sure what type, maybe someone on here will know

Regards

J5

Johnny5
Wednesday 23rd September 2009, 21:25
1. behind the fuel rail, between injectors #1 and #2
2. same on 2.0T and T4, not sure about the others
3. pressure should be plentybar (check a Haynes manual), connect a pressure tester to the schrader valve on the end of the fuel rail and turn the ignition to position 2 so the pump primes. Or, without a pressure tester, ignition pos 2, pump primes, ignition off, prod the schrader valve gently with a small screwdriver and if fuel covers the engine bay and squirts in your face, there's enough. No smoking. :D

My kind of mechanicing! lol....... and yeah DEFO NO SMOKING or NAKED FLAMES ;)

hirstyt4
Thursday 24th September 2009, 20:24
just tested the pressure and I could fart harder.so ive taken it apart to clean it and will refit it tomorrow in daylight

where is the cheapest place to get a new one from or a second head one

thanks

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 24th September 2009, 21:04
Only info I can find is that its 3.1 bar for those engines (including T4)