PDA

View Full Version : SW Autos and re-circulating valve advice

doumac
Tuesday 22nd September 2009, 16:43
Hi All

My 97 S70R has a blanking plate and dump valve fitted. The last owner removed the dump valve but the blanking plate was still there.

SW Autos did a re-map on the car last year so I phoned them for a bit of advice. The guy about had a heart attack. He said that you cannot fit a dump valve to these engines and under no circumstances put it back on. To remove the blanking plate and revert back to the stock re-circulating valve ASAP. He said that it screws up your fuel mix, gases, etc and that you will knacker your MAF sensor and turbo. I had to replace my MAF sensor today so what he said is ringing true.

He also said that the re-circulating valve could be from any T5 and didn't have to come from an R version.

Does anyone know where I can get a re-circulating valve or have one that I can buy.

Conversly, one of my pals on the forum has had the blanking plate and dump valve for 3 years on his 97 V70R and says it is ok on this engine.

Would like some other opinions from you technical guys.

Cheers

Wombatbomb
Tuesday 22nd September 2009, 16:46
SW Auto's strike again LMAO

Did he ask what year your car is? I suspect whoever was on the phone was thinking you have an ME7 engine, but I think you have a Motro 4.4.

p fandango
Tuesday 22nd September 2009, 16:48
ME7 came in during 1999 so you'll be fine. Some people do say that for a very brief second when the air is released from the dump valve the fuel does go rich, but it is only for a brief second

Al115
Tuesday 22nd September 2009, 16:56
I still haven't seen any good justification for running an atmospheric DV on these cars... I'd put the standard recirc back on.

Al115
Tuesday 22nd September 2009, 16:57
I deleted your other (duplicate) thread in the "Tech Help" section BTW as you only need to post your question up once. Just in case you wondered where it went! :)

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 22nd September 2009, 16:58
(I was in the process of posting this on the deleted thread)

I am trying to get this straight.

Volvo puts a turbo on with a Recirc valve. (RV)
This valve was removed and replaced with a blanking plate and a atmospheric blow-off valve BOV aka dump valve.
The BOV was removed and now there is nothing other than a blanking plate?

So there is no where for unwanted pressure to go - other than to stall/break the turbo through vicious backwash pressure everytime you change gear?

Blimey! Good luck!

The early engines tolerate loss to the atmosphere as they are not so well monitored - so BOVs will work without throwing error codes - though strictly speaking you'd be venting measured air into the bonnet space. ME7 engines - not so happy.

Any scrapyard or salvage yard will be able to supply the recirc valve. RV or BOV - you should have 1 of them at least!

doumac
Tuesday 22nd September 2009, 16:58
SW Auto's strike again LMAO

Did he ask what year your car is? I suspect whoever was on the phone was thinking you have an ME7 engine, but I think you have a Motro 4.4.

He remembered the car specifically and was totally emphatic in what he was saying, really spooked me.

doumac
Tuesday 22nd September 2009, 17:01
I deleted your other (duplicate) thread in the "Tech Help" section BTW as you only need to post your question up once. Just in case you wondered where it went! :)

Wasn't sure where to put it to be honest. You made up my mind for me faster than my wife does LOL.

Al115
Tuesday 22nd September 2009, 17:03
Sorry Dave if I made you type that twice!

p fandango
Tuesday 22nd September 2009, 17:14
So there is no where for unwanted pressure to go - other than to stall/break the turbo through vicious backwash pressure everytime you change gear?

Blimey! Good luck!
lol i think you might be exagerating it just a little bit there Dave, we don't run high enough boost levels to risk anything on the turbo (or Russ might be lol). As for turbo stall i've got exactly the same set-up (blanking plate with no recirc) on my 19t & it still spools just as quick as it did before

smithy
Tuesday 22nd September 2009, 21:11
lol i think you might be exagerating it just a little bit there Dave, we don't run high enough boost levels to risk anything on the turbo (or Russ might be lol). As for turbo stall i've got exactly the same set-up (blanking plate with no recirc) on my 19t & it still spools just as quick as it did before

i ran a v70 2.5t pre me7 with a t35 hybrid turbo and bov at 1.35bar no problems at all

Alan M
Tuesday 22nd September 2009, 21:22
I'd agree with Duane regarding running no recirc or atmospheric valve. They were fitted as standard but these turbos will run happily without them.

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 23rd September 2009, 07:47
me7 came in during 1999

Rufe
Wednesday 23rd September 2009, 09:10

ME7 was only introduced for the 1999 models. No 1998 model volvo had ME7, even if they were on the road and registered in 1998. (If you check the cars VIN number it will 100% be a 1999 model).

Saaamon
Saturday 3rd October 2009, 19:27
He remembered the car specifically and was totally emphatic in what he was saying, really spooked me.

Chill out, nothing is gone happen to your car.. The bloke is clearly a muppet.

Wombatbomb
Saturday 3rd October 2009, 19:41
ME7 was only introduced for the 1999 models. No 1998 model volvo had ME7, even if they were on the road and registered in 1998. (If you check the cars VIN number it will 100% be a 1999 model).

Thank you for making my exact point. A car registered in 1998 can be an ME7, I never said it was a MY1999 car. The incorrect statement made was that ME7 came in during 1999, whereas there were ME7 cars on the road in 1998. Hence, why when discussing a 1998 registered car it's important to esatblish what engine is actually fitted as it can be either 4.4 or ME7.

LeeT5
Thursday 8th October 2009, 14:02
Thank you for making my exact point. A car registered in 1998 can be an ME7, I never said it was a MY1999 car. The incorrect statement made was that ME7 came in during 1999, whereas there were ME7 cars on the road in 1998. Hence, why when discussing a 1998 registered car it's important to esatblish what engine is actually fitted as it can be either 4.4 or ME7.

I think Rufe just misunderstood your thread, as did i. Thanks for clearing that up.

LeeT5
Thursday 8th October 2009, 14:13
Chill out, nothing is gone happen to your car.. The bloke is clearly a muppet.

A back handed comment i guess but 'the bloke' is definately not a muppet. A bit over zelous sometimes maybe, but not a muppet. He is an ex-volvo master tech and worked at Volvo for many years before going it alone. He also produced the worlds fastest 850 T5 which was raced at Brands Hatch many times. He knows what he's talking about!

If your going to slag someone off then do so in a PM not on a forum thread for all to see.

If you still think he's a muppet then maybe you should drive down to Kent and tell him to his face. I'm sure he would appreciate your honesty.

Nuff said.

LeeT5
Thursday 8th October 2009, 14:20
As for the thread....IMO i know that a BOV has no performance gain over a RV. If it were the case than manufacturers would have been fitting them years ago. BOV's sound good, granted but i feel a RV may be a better option for performance. Afterall, the RV circulates the wasted pressure back into the intake to be used again. I am sure this must help with eliminating turbo lag. Has anybody actually tested them and seen any performance gains or losses?

p fandango
Thursday 8th October 2009, 16:29
i'm not running any sort of valve (either recirc or dump valve) & have no lag issues with my 19T

LeeT5
Friday 9th October 2009, 02:23
i'm not running any sort of valve (either recirc or dump valve) & have no lag issues with my 19T

Why? Have you taken the RV off? Volvo don't fit BOV's as standard anyway.

p fandango
Friday 9th October 2009, 06:58
Why? Have you taken the RV off? Volvo don't fit BOV's as standard anyway.
i fitted the blanking plate onto the new turbo before it was fitted to save the hassle of slicing my hands, i did it with the future intention of fitting a dump valve but i much prefer the wastegate chatter i get instead now & as i've said there are no performance disadvantages so why bother