PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem

MisterC1501
Sunday 20th September 2009, 14:51
It's back...................and now becoming more frequent :mad: Try to start the car and......nothing. I'm tending to lean towards the ignition barrel. Reason for this is that I can use the auto selector and do the usual "through the box for 30 times" procedure to clean the contacts, the "try starting in N position" and the "turn the immobiliser ON then OFF again with the key fob".

For a while, the latter 3 quick fixes each took turns in then allowing my car to start, but I think this could have been just a coincedence.

Anyone else had similar problems, and if so, what cured the fault.

Tomcat
Sunday 20th September 2009, 15:11
I know a friend of mine used to own a V70, he had starting problems, it turned out to be the chip in his key, from memory it was something to do with the part on the ignition that picks up the signal from the key. Fraid I can't be more accurate than that as it was many,many moons ago.

MisterC1501
Sunday 20th September 2009, 18:44
it turned out to be the chip in his key,

Would changing the batteries make any difference?? Actually, might just do this anyway. Spare key makes no difference either.......thought that since my spare is rarely used, then the key would be less worn therefore making a better contact with the......erm .......contacts....

wellsy
Sunday 20th September 2009, 19:50
i had trouble with mine , very similar symptoms
i spoke to my local main dealer and they said it was more than likely the antenae ring that recieves the code from the chip .
this ring sits around the ignition barrel .
i think i paid about £12 for the ring .
a easy job to replace from memory i needed a long torx driver to remove the cowl from under the column.
hope this may be of help cheers wellsy.

Tomcat
Sunday 20th September 2009, 20:03
i had trouble with mine , very similar symptoms
i spoke to my local main dealer and they said it was more than likely the antenae ring that recieves the code from the chip .
this ring sits around the ignition barrel .
i think i paid about £12 for the ring .
a easy job to replace from memory i needed a long torx driver to remove the cowl from under the column.
hope this may be of help cheers wellsy.

Yeah that's the part my friend had problems with.....Lol....

MisterC1501
Tuesday 22nd September 2009, 21:26
more than likely the antenae ring that recieves the code from the chip

Thanks chap......I'll give this a go

MisterC1501
Saturday 17th October 2009, 01:47
Changed the antenna ring yesterday........had to remove the steering wheel to get the lower trim panel off without snapping the bloody thing :yikes:

So far so good.......but then again my problem was intermittent........lets see if it returns.........

wellsy
Saturday 17th October 2009, 09:20
fingers crossed its ok for you now .
sounds like you had a job changing it , i think i had a bit of a game needed a long slim torx bit
cheers wellsy..

MisterC1501
Wednesday 4th November 2009, 23:40
Yep, I can safely say that the antenae ring has cured my problem....famous last words.........