PDA

View Full Version : Lightened Flywheel

ANDYRACER
Wednesday 16th September 2009, 21:55
Just a quick one, seeing as im changing my gearbox soon as mine went bang, can i get hold of a lightened flywheel to get it to rev faster? :)

dooby
Thursday 17th September 2009, 00:12
Yes, I think I've seen a few people do this. You want to do it right though, as if it's not up to the task, you don't want to see what happens as it lets go :-)

Can't seem to find a reputable supplier with a very quick search so maybe someone else knows where to get them.

Cheers, Pete

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th September 2009, 00:14
Just a quick one, seeing as im changing my gearbox soon as mine went bang, can i get hold of a lightened flywheel to get it to rev faster? :)
and stall more?

Alan M
Thursday 17th September 2009, 07:59
If your original flywheel is in good order you could just get that balanced and that will help.

p fandango
Thursday 17th September 2009, 12:43
the local engineering shop said they can either lighten the original, or make a new one from lighter metal

ANDYRACER
Thursday 17th September 2009, 18:35
Would they just skim my old flywheel to make it lightened?

p fandango
Thursday 17th September 2009, 18:41
Would they just skim my old flywheel to make it lightened?
they'd probably do that anyway just to make sure its got a good face on it, but i'd of thought alot of the weight would be shaved from the back

Jamest5r
Thursday 17th September 2009, 18:44
the local engineering shop said they can either lighten the original, or make a new one from lighter metal

I belive that's you with a grinder out the back?? Mr pfandango can lighten anything!!!

p fandango
Thursday 17th September 2009, 18:47
I belive that's you with a grinder out the back?? Mr pfandango can lighten anything!!!
never thought of that, grind it down then take it to ATS to put on the tyre balancer to make sure i don't get any vibration out of it lol

Al115
Thursday 17th September 2009, 18:48
Cars with them don't stall any more than normal, Dave's just winding you up :D

Judgeninja has done this as have some others, I also looked at lightening the flywheel on my T4 but it's a pain with the dual-mass flywheels. If you have a single-mass flywheel car then I say DO IT :)

pookie
Friday 18th September 2009, 00:00
Andy- Ric Wood in Davenport is the man to see.

Salut!
Pookie

Alan M
Friday 18th September 2009, 07:55
Ric Wood's machining facilities are excellent. A friend had a Cosworth head reworked by him a couple of years back and the work was top notch.

ANDYRACER
Saturday 19th September 2009, 15:06
Cheers for the info guys.

Is the T5 flywheel the same as a R flywheel?
Want to have all the parts there to get swapped over.

woz
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 13:27
Hi I have a 1996 T5 2.3 - can anyone confirm whether it would have a dual mass or convential flywheel on it?

Went to Bristol Transmissions for a diagnostic check on a vibration and they said it may be a problem with dual mass flywheel if one was fitted.

I thought not on an old banger like mine but cannot be sure - anyone on here know?

Cheers

Woz

Al115
Tuesday 6th October 2009, 14:41
I thought yours would be single-mass?

woz
Friday 9th October 2009, 01:38
YUP ITS deffo a single mass jobby.
Whether all the mass is in the right place remains to be seen - new clutch tomorrow - Aaagh. But I knew it was coming for the last few months so been putting a few quid aside. Not quite enough for a ligtended flywheel. Doh.
Still, 215k on one clutch is not too bad I suppose.
W

p fandango
Friday 9th October 2009, 07:03
YUP ITS deffo a single mass jobby.
Whether all the mass is in the right place remains to be seen - new clutch tomorrow - Aaagh. But I knew it was coming for the last few months so been putting a few quid aside. Not quite enough for a ligtended flywheel. Doh.
Still, 215k on one clutch is not too bad I suppose.
W
you going to upgrade to an R clutch while your replacing it?

Engineer
Friday 9th October 2009, 15:48
Here's a pic of my latest light billet steel flywheel which I've fitted with a 4 paddle clutch the engine does rev much more freely and it doesn't stall lol.

Don at Kalmar Union has them and also the duel mass type you can get him on 0208 9593230 if you fancy one.

Manzed
Friday 9th October 2009, 16:02
How much did the Flywheel set you back Engineer? Looks rather tasty! :P

Engineer
Friday 9th October 2009, 19:15
How much did the Flywheel set you back Engineer? Looks rather tasty! :P

It is a work of art mate if your into light weight shiney things :cool: I was gutted when the box went back in and covered it up :rolleyes2

I have got most of my track car components from KU so cut a deal with clutch, coil overs, bushes, downpipe, LSD etc.

So somewhere around £200-300 mark without depending on your spec.not cheap but miles in front of a lightened original IMHO.

Manzed
Saturday 10th October 2009, 20:33
Sounds like money well invested dude, must look into one for the big rebulid :)

woz
Saturday 17th October 2009, 22:05
you going to upgrade to an R clutch while your replacing it?
Nope - had it done got an OE equivalent Sachs. Also replaced g/b oil with fully synth.

And now t'is sweet as a dream - smooth as a babies bottom. Cannot hear the engine running at idle, and the pedal is now soooo light. Lots of crap and crud in there apparently. Red lined it for the first time in 18 months and loved it. No more shudder, no more vibration, no more gear crunching. wooo hoo.

Was deffo the original in there - and it had two broken springs (out of three) hence the vibration and horrible noises. Still not bad for 215k on the clock. Hoped to get ARB bushes changed at the same time but they looked at them and said they were solid as little rocks so no worries. Left them in.

Pedro - I am not sure how much difference the R clutch would have made tbh - I never had any issue with the standard T5 one. If I get another 200k out of it I will be happy ;>))

p fandango
Saturday 17th October 2009, 23:30
Pedro - I am not sure how much difference the R clutch would have made tbh - I never had any issue with the standard T5 one. If I get another 200k out of it I will be happy ;>))
i have heard its a good upgrade to do if your changing your clutch anyway. I was going to go that way but got to for a S60R clutch to fit the Crocus box now, still going to use a single mass flywheel tho

RT MECHANICS
Sunday 18th October 2009, 10:55
Standard flywheel works just fine for me don't want to risk what happended to a fellow fast volvo with a custom flywheel would rather have the strength of the volvo item :duck:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/500bhpvolvo/VARIOUS%20VOLVO%20PICS/Bonnethole.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/500bhpvolvo/VARIOUS%20VOLVO%20PICS/flywheelbroke.jpg

Russ

Volvostorm
Sunday 18th October 2009, 12:30
Standard flywheel works just fine for me don't want to risk what happended to a fellow fast volvo with a custom flywheel would rather have the strength of the volvo item :duck:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/500bhpvolvo/VARIOUS%20VOLVO%20PICS/Bonnethole.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/500bhpvolvo/VARIOUS%20VOLVO%20PICS/flywheelbroke.jpg

Russ

Holy S**T! I've heard it can happen, but I've never seen it! :jaw:

Engineer
Tuesday 3rd November 2009, 20:40

Russ

Are you serious mate............?

ANDYRACER
Tuesday 3rd November 2009, 21:02
Holy crap thats awesome! lol

Any pics of the full car, looks a tad shall we say nuts!

p fandango
Tuesday 3rd November 2009, 21:12
are they box arches on it?

the engine looks like its got some interesting bits on it

RT MECHANICS
Wednesday 4th November 2009, 20:50
Are you serious mate............?

Hi Gary

It works for me so why change it :)

Holy crap thats awesome! lol

Any pics of the full car, looks a tad shall we say nuts!

A really fast car does a 10.36 1/4 mile at 144mph

are they box arches on it?

the engine looks like its got some interesting bits on it

Not sure about the arches i will ask him and get a few more pics.

Russ