PDA

View Full Version : Help - Rear wiper problems

Pandamedic
Monday 14th September 2009, 15:19
I've delveloped a rear wiper problem on my 1999 v70.

For some reason, it no longer parks itself in the park position, and on intermitant wipe, it doesn't do a full wipe of the screen, does about a 1/3 and then stops, carries on for about another 1/3 and then stops etc.

When i put it on constant, it wipes the full area back and forth as normal, but doesnt park in it's place when i stop it.

Now the wierd thing, is, when the boot is open, and thus the wiper is horizonal, the wiper works fine in both constant andf intermitant, and parks it self right.

Once the boot comes down to about 45degrees angle it stops working correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

AlanG
Monday 14th September 2009, 15:28
Only thing that springs to mind mate is a tired/weak motor..

Okete
Monday 14th September 2009, 16:21
It could be that the wiper has become loose on its' spindle and is slipping from time to time when defying gravity.
In the horizontal position it works because it doesn't have to battle against gravity and it is seating better on its' spindle perhaps?

Cheers,
John.

cookie
Monday 14th September 2009, 19:11
poss broken wire at top of door, in the rubber flexi tube thingy, or motor struggling due to siezed shaft

Pandamedic
Monday 14th September 2009, 21:23
Not sure about the weak motor.

when the boot is shut, and i put the wiper on constant it works fine, does the full sweep etc, but doesnt park when i switch it off. with the boot open, it's the same, but it parks.

It's the intermitent that's really different when the boot is open or closed.

i've had a look at the mechanism working with boot open and closed and looks the same to me.

very confused

t5 stealth
Monday 14th September 2009, 21:48
broken wire in the loom that goes through the hinge area.

Pandamedic
Sunday 27th September 2009, 00:00
changed the motor and same thing.

Left the motor and housing loose so i could move it around whilst it was on and all was fine no matter which way up it was etc. That was with the tailgate open, however when i partially closed the tailgate the motor and housing failed to park itself, even though i was still holding the motor in my hand and no fixed onto the tailgate

Any ideas why it only does this with the tailgate closed.

There's still power to it and it works on full constant wipe when the tailgate is closed, just doesnt park when the boot it closed.

Tomcat
Sunday 27th September 2009, 00:27
Defo sounds like broken wiring, there was a common fault as already mentioned with the wiring getting squashed near the hinge.

AlanG
Sunday 27th September 2009, 00:30
All wiper motors have an internal parking switch matey.........like a micro switch. It has a separate feed as long as your acc/ign is on. If that feed is being disconnected due to a bad connection where the loom passes through the top of the tailgate(which sounds likely) then it wont park. If you have a test-lamp or multimeter,check the motor's terminals for power in both open and closed positions with it switched on. If you're losing one of the readings in the closed position then you've found the problem.
Good luck........

Pandamedic
Sunday 27th September 2009, 00:31
1) motor works fine and parks fine with the boot open.
2) motor works fine and doesn't park with the boot half closed or closed. - that's the part i'm confused about big time, as it still works with the boot closed, just doesnt park.

I've had a look at the wires in the hinge and they look fine, although can't check the actual metal wire bit inside, but the wires themselves look good.

would a volt meter or something help me see if the wire is ok when the hinge is half closed.

I've got one, but have no idea how to use it!

AlanG
Sunday 27th September 2009, 13:25
Simples mate. Assuming there's a block multi-plug connection? Set the volt-meter to 20V DC and with the acc/ign on,earth the meter to the body/gas-strut mounting etc and insert the positive probe into the block's terminals one at a time. There should be 2 terminals giving a 12V reading and 1 when the wiper is switched off but acc/ign on........this is for the park switch. Check with tailgate both open and closed........HTH..

Pandamedic
Monday 28th September 2009, 18:43
Simples mate. Assuming there's a block multi-plug connection? Set the volt-meter to 20V DC and with the acc/ign on,earth the meter to the body/gas-strut mounting etc and insert the positive probe into the block's terminals one at a time. There should be 2 terminals giving a 12V reading and 1 when the wiper is switched off but acc/ign on........this is for the park switch. Check with tailgate both open and closed........HTH..

Thanks for that, will give it a try on my next days off and let you know how it goes.

phil_woods
Monday 28th September 2009, 18:46
At least yours works a bit mine is totally goosed

AlanG
Monday 28th September 2009, 18:53
At least yours works a bit mine is totally goosed

You don't need it matey.......just like mirrors..You've already been there so who cares?!! :duck: