PDA

View Full Version : help needed

scooter
Monday 14th September 2009, 10:55
on saturday i fitted an air filter (k&n) this morning i went to take the kids to school and the car is showing ABS SERVICE REQUIRED snd now the car won't start lights all on etc any suggestions

thebadger
Monday 14th September 2009, 11:00
You've disconnected the MAF by sounds.

I assume you didn't pull anything else out? May have pulled a major plug out.

scooter
Monday 14th September 2009, 11:09
the thing is the i took the car for a run after several times dueing the day didn't yesterday but this morning no start

thebadger
Monday 14th September 2009, 11:34
Did you take anything else apart?

scooter
Monday 14th September 2009, 12:00
no nothing at all

thebadger
Monday 14th September 2009, 12:39
What modle & year?

P2's ABS/tracs unit sits right next to the air intake pipe, should be a box about the size of a deck of cards, just under the engine mount bar (big black thing over the top of the engine) behind the airbox area.

Lots of thin pipes to & from it...

Check all connections to it.

Baj
Monday 14th September 2009, 12:59
ABS error should not stop the car running though. Sounds like something has been pulled/fallen off.

scooter
Monday 14th September 2009, 13:31
What modle & year?

P2's ABS/tracs unit sits right next to the air intake pipe, should be a box about the size of a deck of cards, just under the engine mount bar (big black thing over the top of the engine) behind the airbox area.

Lots of thin pipes to & from it...

Check all connections to it.

the model and year is v70 2001

scooter
Monday 14th September 2009, 13:32
ABS error should not stop the car running though. Sounds like something has been pulled/fallen off.

i have been around everything but nothing seems to of or disconnected

scooter
Monday 14th September 2009, 13:34
mean't to say this morning i started the car started no problem but as i went to reverse off drive way the car stalled and didn't start again

thebadger
Monday 14th September 2009, 14:07
Auto or manual? I have a V70 2001 also. Last time this happened to me the battery was flat as a pancake.

Have you attempted a jump?

If it's making a limp Clack/Click noise when you turn the key then I have just solved the issue.

scooter
Monday 14th September 2009, 14:21
Auto or manual? I have a V70 2001 also. Last time this happened to me the battery was flat as a pancake.

Have you attempted a jump?

If it's making a limp Clack/Click noise when you turn the key then I have just solved the issue.

badger i thought of that but just thinking the car was serviced a couple of months ago saturday having a noisey around the car and i don't think the fuel filter was changed it is rough pitted etc so away to buy new filter

thebadger
Monday 14th September 2009, 14:38
Em, my car went in for a service, came back good, but the battery failed 3 days later!

They go when they want.

Does it turn over?

Or does it make a clicking noise & then the dash does the christmas tree?

scooter
Monday 14th September 2009, 14:42
Em, my car went in for a service, came back good, but the battery failed 3 days later!

They go when they want.

Does it turn over?

Or does it make a clicking noise & then the dash does the christmas tree?

it does turn over this morning it started moved 5 inches in reverse then clonk out battery has tested postive but i also test a new battery that i had still the same thing

AlanG
Monday 14th September 2009, 14:51
Don't want to be killjoy but could easily be component failure. Coincidental,I know but not to be ruled out....Cam position sensor for example..

cornclose
Monday 14th September 2009, 15:11
Has anyone mentioned ETM yet ? If you have messages and lights you really need to get the ECU codes read.

thebadger
Monday 14th September 2009, 15:44
The only reason I say it could be the battery is that it's such an old hat fault, most folks don't check on it now.

The battery in my car was HUGE, loads of power etc, but one day (randomly) just after it had been worked on (few days after to be exact) the battery failed. So much so that it needed replacing. The new one was smaller, but has lasted much better & probably weighs a good bit less too!

Have you tried a jumpstart? I know it sounds daft but this can solve a weak "draining" battery better than a spare one or a boost box.

Also is it a deisel? I had a deisel as my first car & the battery went so flat that the tow truck had to use the biggest jump leads I ever saw, after trying two seperate jump boxes. The point is that it usually never looks like the thing that it is & all batteries are crap, lest halfords go out of buisness...

Let us know how you get on.

KPB
Tuesday 15th September 2009, 08:56
Bit of a long shot - but how much fuel is in the car? I parked my S60 on a gentle slope once with about 30 miles indicated on the computer, and it refused to start the next day. I tried all sorts, but once I popped another gallon into the tank, it started first time.

thebadger
Tuesday 15th September 2009, 10:01
Don't get me started on the fib dial which is fitted as standard.

Also the range indicator is built into that system which also tells porkies every time you turn the key!

KPB
Tuesday 15th September 2009, 11:30
Don't get me started on the fib dial which is fitted as standard.

Also the range indicator is built into that system which also tells porkies every time you turn the key!

'Fib dial'. Funny.

Joking aside I dont think my car ran out of petrol the exact instant I parked up outside my house. There was petrol in it but something in the sendor unit was obviously detecting zero fuel and then gave me 'immobiliser fault' when I cranked it too much the next day. Another episode in my fun-filled S60 ownership experience

Quite tempted with a C70 i've seen locally tho!

cornclose
Tuesday 15th September 2009, 11:51
'immobiliser fault' comes on regardless of what the real reason it failed to start is. IIRC after three failed attempts at starting, that's the message you get.

scooter
Tuesday 15th September 2009, 12:49
first off i would like to thank you to every body for there help here is what i done
(badger) took out battery charged it over night
fitter new fuel filter the old one I don't think you are suppose to be able to look right through it (just a quess)
(kpb) on board computer said 35 miles left in the tank but driveway is on a slope so I went to garage got a gallon
i went through all connectors disconnected all and rejoined
after all the car FINALLY STARTED THANK ****

SO YET AGAIN THANK YOU EVERY BODY I HOPE I CAN RETURN THE FAVOUR CHEERS

thebadger
Tuesday 15th September 2009, 14:40
Could have been one or all three tho...

They break your heart!

Volvo Family
Wednesday 16th September 2009, 17:01
Bet it's the fuel. Has happened to me twice. There's enough fuel in the car to keep the engine running and actually drive to your parking spot, but not enough to start it. Slope makes it worse. Try to fill up ASAP after it is half empty now.

AlanG
Wednesday 16th September 2009, 17:30
My old girl starts and run perfectly even when the info doofer says there's only 20miles in the tank!! Being a peasant of late has given me this knowledge. Not a P2 though....:biggrin: