PDA

View Full Version : Rip

JelT5
Sunday 13th September 2009, 05:24
Done mine and pretty pleased with the result, both aesthetically and performance wise. All the bitz came off ebay btw. Turbo spools up just a little bit quicker. Goody :biggrin:
Need to trim the clip bolts though ;)

p fandango
Sunday 13th September 2009, 07:58
looks good mate, nce to have a direct comparison & confirm it does make an improvement as well

now for the confession, when i seen "rip" i thought you meant "rust in peace" & thought you'd written off the go-kart. Glad you haven't & your alright tho mate

JelT5
Sunday 13th September 2009, 08:50
looks good mate, nce to have a direct comparison & confirm it does make an improvement as well

Cheers mon ;) was a bit of a struggle to fit- especially the inlet side. Swearing and scraped knuckles, you know the score. Actually had my new monsieur metabo mini grinder out- thought about cutting off some other bits of car :)

now for the confession, when i seen "rip" i thought you meant "rust in peace" & thought you'd written off the go-kart. Glad you haven't & your alright tho mate

haha thats just wishful thinking mate- the go-kart is fine as indeed am I :biggrin:

flyingbrick
Sunday 13th September 2009, 08:53
Done mine and pretty pleased with the result, both aesthetically and performance wise. All the bitz came off ebay btw. Turbo spools up just a little bit quicker. Goody :biggrin:
Need to trim the clip bolts though ;)

Nice one mate. Can I ask please how much it cost ya.......

JelT5
Sunday 13th September 2009, 09:13
Nice one mate. Can I ask please how much it cost ya.......

Thanks Mark,

Because there's so little stuff available here en France I bought a generic 57mm kit off ebay- incl delivery, about £100. Still got loads of it left- straight pipes, U-bend pipes and 4 hoses/ 8 clips! Tubing is Ali and hoses are silicone.

link below

LINKITY-LINK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-25-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-PIPE-PIPING-DIY-KIT-57MM_W0QQitemZ350240963424QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item518bfcfb60&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262)

p fandango
Sunday 13th September 2009, 10:03
Cheers mon ;) was a bit of a struggle to fit- especially the inlet side. Swearing and scraped knuckles, you know the score. Actually had my new monsieur metabo mini grinder out- thought about cutting off some other bits of car :)
you not thought about doing the MAF to turbo pipe while your at it & got some spare bits around? What did you do about the idle control valve?

haha thats just wishful thinking mate- the go-kart is fine as indeed am I :biggrin:
glad your alright atleast :D lol

JelT5
Sunday 13th September 2009, 10:25
you not thought about doing the MAF to turbo pipe while your at it & got some spare bits around? What did you do about the idle control valve?

you'll have to explain in detail regards the idle control valve...I left an original pipe that connects to the throttle body in place due to fear lol
Can I get rid or do I need to keep it? I'm assuming it needs to stay!!

Good idea re the MAF...I'll get on it as soon as!

AndysR
Sunday 13th September 2009, 13:41
Certainly sounds like a modification worth doing, nice work :)

p fandango
Sunday 13th September 2009, 18:12
you'll have to explain in detail regards the idle control valve...I left an original pipe that connects to the throttle body in place due to fear lol
Can I get rid or do I need to keep it? I'm assuming it needs to stay!!
yeh its a 19mm pipe coming off the main air pipe into the throttle body, it bypasses the throttle body so air can still get into the engine for idle

JelT5
Sunday 13th September 2009, 18:22
yeh its a 19mm pipe coming off the main air pipe into the throttle body, it bypasses the throttle body so air can still get into the engine for idle

Did you get a tee welded on to accomodate the 19mm pipe mate? I'll have to get that sorted out!
MAF pipework looks more like 3" so can't use the leftovers for that :(

p fandango
Sunday 13th September 2009, 18:35
Did you get a tee welded on to accomodate the 19mm pipe mate? I'll have to get that sorted out!

MAF pipework looks more like 3" so can't use the leftovers for that :(
yeh, you can see it in the lower pipe, i made all of mine out of 3" but used stainless instead of alloy
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3420/67230716.jpg

JelT5
Thursday 17th September 2009, 18:57
yeh, you can see it in the lower pipe, i made all of mine out of 3" but used stainless instead of alloy
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3420/67230716.jpg

That looks the dogs wotsits mate! Think I may have to go for 3" at some point!

I can honestly say that this is a good, inexpensive mod for anyone and everyone- the car definitely feels quicker when accelerating- ie the turbo is spooling up faster. Nice :biggrin:
I guess the proof will come this weekend as I'm off to Bitburg again to try and break the 14.5 sec 1/4....little steps ;)

BruceT
Thursday 17th September 2009, 20:54
I still dont understand what you've done with IAC, (Idle Valve) ?

JelT5
Thursday 17th September 2009, 22:19
Still connected on the original hose, until I can get a bit of pipe made up to take the hose to the IC valve.

BruceT
Friday 18th September 2009, 08:53
Oh right!

So you still have the original volvo rubber hose but with a hard pipe after that into the bottom of the IC?

Sorry, I got confused!

So that kit includes everything you needed and you still had bits left?

Intersting... Seems the cheapest way of doing it

siamblue
Friday 18th September 2009, 09:28
Pedro, so you have gone 51-76 reducer then into a 76 90 degree?

JelT5
Friday 18th September 2009, 09:52
Oh right!

So you still have the original volvo rubber hose but with a hard pipe after that into the bottom of the IC?

Sorry, I got confused!

So that kit includes everything you needed and you still had bits left?

Intersting... Seems the cheapest way of doing it

Only got the rubber pipe at the bottom of the IC because I couldn't get to it this time! Planning to replace it though. The rubber hose to the throttle body with the T to the idle valve is still in place too, hence having to get something made up like Pedro has done to take the tidle valve hose. HTH and is a bit less confusicating Bruce ;)
I'll take a couple more pics of that area over the weekend...it doesn't look too good atm but it works!!

May even replace it all with 3" at some point in the future!

p fandango
Friday 18th September 2009, 14:06
Pedro, so you have gone 51-76 reducer then into a 76 90 degree?
yeh its a tight fit tho, if you can get a 51-76 90degree reducer you'd be better off

p fandango
Friday 18th September 2009, 14:11
not sure if this helps, you can see the T for the idle control valve just under the Logpro throttle body joint

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8933/28785810.jpg

PaulZX
Friday 18th September 2009, 14:19
I did a 51mm 90 degree, then a straight 51 -76 reducer, from the bottom of the ic, and if you remember right pedro, you said it looked better, looked easier, and there was no deforming of the pipe coming from the ic....

p fandango
Friday 18th September 2009, 14:23
I did a 51mm 90 degree, then a straight 51 -76 reducer, from the bottom of the ic, and if you remember right pedro, you said it looked better, looked easier, and there was no deforming of the pipe coming from the ic....
ah yeh, i think Siam is talking about the 90 onto the turbo. The pic is to show Bruce how i've done the idle valve really

but yeh it is a bit of a tight squeeze getting the 76mm pipe between the subframe & the IC for the bottom, it will go with brute force tho lol

siamblue
Friday 18th September 2009, 15:26
ah yeh, i think Siam is talking about the 90 onto the turbo. The pic is to show Bruce how i've done the idle valve really

but yeh it is a bit of a tight squeeze getting the 76mm pipe between the subframe & the IC for the bottom, it will go with brute force tho lol

Yes i was Pedro ;) seeing as i am going to fit a kkk now, i will sell the 51-76 reducer,

Gary

p fandango
Friday 18th September 2009, 16:06
Yes i was Pedro ;) seeing as i am going to fit a kkk now, i will sell the 51-76 reducer,
good luck, don't bodge the oil pipes or it could catch fire