PDA

View Full Version : engine code? ? ?

danny-R
Friday 11th September 2009, 08:43
morning all, could i just ask how i would find out my engine code.

the reason i ask is because i need to determine which turbo it is i need.
(straight or angled) i'm assuming it's a straight outlet but would like to be sure before i hand over the money.

thanks in advance

p fandango
Friday 11th September 2009, 08:58
morning all, could i just ask how i would find out my engine code.

the reason i ask is because i need to determine which turbo it is i need.
(straight or angled) i'm assuming it's a straight outlet but would like to be sure before i hand over the money.

thanks in advance
the engine code is on a white sticker on the plastic cam cover, down the side facing the expantion bottle. I've got only one engine number listed for the 15g T-5 engine tho so don't think that will help

you can always swop over the exhaust housing from your 15g onto the 16t so everything will fit if it is an conical you've got

danny-R
Friday 11th September 2009, 09:13
thanks, will go out and check that in a minute.
it's all a bit confusing to me,would i notice a difference in power by fitting a 16t and does it involve much adapting. would it bolt straight up to the downpipe i have had custom made.

ideally i think i should just aquire a decent 15g as i would be able to do that myself if it's just a case of remove and replace it.

i have a day off today and a pocket full of money (makes a bloody change), so it would make sense to source a turbo today then that's half the battle.
especially when i start work on saturday for three weeks non stop.

any help/advice much appreciated

danny-R
Friday 11th September 2009, 09:24
just to confirm the engine code is B5234T5.

according to this website, i need a 16t.
its getting more and more confusing by the minute lol

http://www.arturbo.co.uk/catalogue_turbos.asp?Make=42

p fandango
Friday 11th September 2009, 09:25
thanks, will go out and check that in a minute.
it's all a bit confusing to me,would i notice a difference in power by fitting a 16t and does it involve much adapting. would it bolt straight up to the downpipe i have had custom made.
Callyuk has changed cars & his new one has got a 16t while his old one had a 15g, i know he's very impressed with how much more go its got. Other than the exhaust possibly being different to the one you've got it'll bolt straight on.

ideally i think i should just aquire a decent 15g as i would be able to do that myself if it's just a case of remove and replace it.
it depends on what you want, if your happy with it now & don't intent to do many more mods then sticking with the 15g might be the better bet. But if your still modifying the car why not upgrade the turbo while you've got the chance & it needs changing anyway. My 15g was knackered to just replaced it with a 19t instead

i have a day off today and a pocket full of money (makes a bloody change), so it would make sense to source a turbo today then that's half the battle.
especially when i start work on saturday for three weeks non stop.
its really advisable to change the studs, nuts & gaskets when you change the turbo, it could all work loose if you use the old ones & only use genuine Volvo ones, cost me about £88 for the bits. I'd also think of fitting either a ME7 or S60R exhaust manifold while your under there changing the turbo, you can pick them up pretty cheap & its only another 12 nuts to undo while the turbo is already off

p fandango
Friday 11th September 2009, 09:30
just to confirm the engine code is B5234T5.

according to this website, i need a 16t.
its getting more and more confusing by the minute lol

http://www.arturbo.co.uk/catalogue_turbos.asp?Make=42
that list is wrong all T-5R had 15g's. Only the manual 850R had a 16t, 850R automatic had a 15g

danny-R
Friday 11th September 2009, 09:34
cheers. so to put it in leymens terms. if i were to upgrade it would make sense to go 19t/manifold/injectors and map. i have a feeling this may end up costing more than i have in my pocket.

tbh as it is my daily driver if i take this route would i notice a dramastic decrease in mpg in comparison to a standard turbo.. (15g or 16t whatever it may be)

cheers

p fandango
Friday 11th September 2009, 09:42
cheers. so to put it in leymens terms. if i were to upgrade it would make sense to go 19t/manifold/injectors and map. i have a feeling this may end up costing more than i have in my pocket.
if you can stretch to a 19t then i would, its going to be more beneficial than a 16t & you'll only have to swop it again at a later date. But if your 15g is knackered & a 16t turns up cheap (which it has) then it'll still be an improvement

tbh as it is my daily driver if i take this route would i notice a dramastic decrease in mpg in comparison to a standard turbo.. (15g or 16t whatever it may be)
i've had no experience with a 16t tbh, but FFM's mpg went up when he went to the 19t

danny-R
Friday 11th September 2009, 09:48
i bet finding a decent 19t won't be easy. could be described as rocking horse poo!

that list is wrong all T-5R had 15g's. Only the manual 850R had a 16t, 850R automatic had a 15g

it seems most of the lists must be wrong

http://www.midlandturbo.com/index2.php?search=VOLVO

Alan M
Friday 11th September 2009, 10:34
That is a good one to go for. You will get an ME7 manifold aswell and all the water and oil feed pipework. You could just change the turbine housing on it for your 15g item then you will be able to use your existing downpipe.

p fandango
Saturday 12th September 2009, 06:51
You will get an ME7 manifold aswell and all the water and oil feed pipework.
that baffled me with FFM's car, did they change the piping around on turbo's off an ME7 equipped car? My 19t was a straight fit & the pipes went straight on

danny-R
Saturday 12th September 2009, 07:34
thanks for all your help, i did not manage to find one yesterday. looks like i will just have to get the 16t with manifold off ebay an go from there.
any ideas where i would find a 19t if that would be just as easy to fit.

well i'm off to work will be on here around 6ish

cheers

RollingThunder
Saturday 12th September 2009, 08:58
Don't discount the 18T - it has slightly less lag than a 19T making it more driveable day to day. I'd guess you wouldn't notice any performance difference unless you redline it all the time. Just a thought.

danny-R
Saturday 12th September 2009, 17:05
that's an idea, cheers.

tbh i think any turbo would do at the moment, i am winning an auction on a manifold from a 2000 v70 t5. ( please tell me that's the one i need lol)

come on guys surely there must be a turbo hidden away somewhere that they would like to sell. before the mrs gets hold of the funds lol

cheers

or even if anyone can think of anywhere that may stock them or even details for decent volvo breakers would be a great help.

Jamest5r
Saturday 12th September 2009, 17:48
I thought you had already bought a 16t? you have got the same car as me yours has a 15g on it, the 16t will bolt sraight on no problem(thats why i wanted it off you)

danny-R
Saturday 12th September 2009, 17:54
there was a car identical to mine breaking on ebay only down the road, s****horpe i believe.
anyway.. we exchanged a few messages and he agreed to sell the turbo for £50 and gave me his home phone number, so i rang it and no answer.
then i sent a few more asking if i could collect or pay through paypal and have not heard from him since.
i think he must have sold the full car as it was for sale for £300 because of front end smash.
so i am back to square one.

lmao @ sc unthorpe :)

danny-R
Sunday 13th September 2009, 18:03
quick update. i managed to get a me7 manifold off ebay for the pricely sum of..... get ready..... 99p :) plus £12 packaging which isn't too bad. (i hope he sends it, get poor feedback otherwise)

and still on the look out or either 16,18 or 19t.

sen
Sunday 13th September 2009, 18:12
I no where there is a 18t for sale just been fully refurbed if your interested pm me

danny-R
Sunday 13th September 2009, 18:21
pm'd cheerrs

jer,c70
Sunday 13th September 2009, 19:30
ive put a 19t on my 1999 c70 me7 when it orininaly had a 13g, i have found it dosent matter which turbo you buy whether it is a 13g 15t 16t or 19t one exhaust flange fits all, all you have to do is undo the strap that joins the turbo to the flange and the oil feeds ect. and swap them state over...(you dont need to undo any down pipe or manifold bolts)