PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Guard useless/ Does your Fuel Cap lock?

pzorb
Saturday 4th June 2005, 19:41
Looked at the 855 today during the agnonising refuelling wait, and noticed that I seem to have a way of locking the fuel cap by means of a pin on the inside (now that it's 80.9p/l i can actually relax at the pump and take in my surroundings!). I assumed this was done using a solenoid, and noted that when I lock the car it could still be opened suggesting the solenoid, if there is one, is stuck open.
Is there a fuse for this that needs to be checked? Haynes didn't list one specifically for the fuel cap, maybe it's encompassed in another term (alarm?).
Then I wondered if the fuse on my actual alarm has gone, is this possible? I can set the car alarm off only by pressing the panic switch on the fob or slamming a locked door - as much rocking and bouncing won't set it off, nor will leaving windows open and reaching inside or flicking/screaming at the glass break sensor (maybe i need to break some glass close by lol). I obviously don't want to lob a brick through the window to confirm(!), so is there a non-destructive way?

Are these two things - non locking fuel cap and crap alarm - related or two seperate issues? :shifty: How do people here set their alarms off? Tbh I only use it to wind up my housemate; everytime she parks too close to my car I set it off and go outside and grumble at her lol :ready2go:

Advice please wise people! :help:
Martin

p fandango
Saturday 4th June 2005, 20:01
the only way i've managed to set my volvo alarm off is by setting the alarm (in my case sit inside with the window open & lock from the outside) then but the key in the ignition, so i agree not a very good alarm which why i only use it if i'm in a hurry & can't wait for the turbo timer to finish

splatt
Saturday 4th June 2005, 20:08
Lock it via the boot, then open the same way...get in..alarm goes off...mine does..

Andrew
Saturday 4th June 2005, 20:29
*imagines people all across the land climbing in and out of their boots*

:) nice one !!!

rs_andy
Saturday 4th June 2005, 20:31
I usually find the best way to test it is to allow the grotty kids on the street play football around it, they can set it off no problem! grumble grumble "get off my lawn!" fr3akin' kids :nutkick:

seriously though I beleive if you lock it with the remote then open it with the key (giving it a minute to settle down first, ultrasonics and stuff) the alrm should go off.

splatt
Saturday 4th June 2005, 20:36
*imagines people all across the land climbing in and out of their boots*

:) nice one !!!I see the flaw in my post.(after you did!!)...well spotted....get in the boot if you want...the doors work better for me...
:slap:

Vikingxl
Saturday 4th June 2005, 20:45
My dogs set it off all the time

siamblue
Sunday 5th June 2005, 05:44
My ultrasonics are very sensitive, Can leave the window down a inch and the alarm goes off.

Andrew
Sunday 5th June 2005, 10:09
btw I checked on mine last night and my fuel cap does indeed lock!

pzorb
Sunday 5th June 2005, 10:21
Thanks guys, any ideas which fuses to check - and which ones to avoid!?

Martin

Andrew
Sunday 5th June 2005, 10:53
Fuse 6 is for the central locking system (25A). But if the rest is working fine then it won't be that. There isn't one that I can see specifically for the fuel cap.

I've taken a quick look in Haynes and can't see anything. I've looked elsewhere and I got the following:

With the car unlocked and the ignition in the off position open the fuel cover. Lock the car using the central locking system using the key in the drivers door. You should then see the bolt come down in the little hole on the top right. Then unlock using the key in the drivers door and the bolt should disapear.

If the bolt appears as normal when locked with the key then it's likely to be a mechanical fault in the central locking unit - although you should lubricate the locking lever just to be sure.

If the bolt does not work as normal you need to check the central locking motor connections and relays. Drop me a PM and I'll give you more detail.

Andrew.

pzorb
Sunday 5th June 2005, 11:52
Thanks Andrew, PM sent!

Martin

jbconno
Sunday 5th June 2005, 13:45
Dont know if it works the same as my phase 2 V70 but when i lock the car with the remote, the fuel flap doesnt lock straight away. If i return to the car about 10 mins later its locked itself. I can only assume that the system is setup so that you can have the doors locked while your at the pump but you can still refuel the car. Just a thought.

John.

pzorb
Sunday 5th June 2005, 16:17
Cheers for that John, I'll add that to my checklist!
Why do I feel a call to Salvo is looming?

Martin

jbconno
Sunday 5th June 2005, 16:30
I thought mine had seized but then i tried it about 10 mins later and it had locked. Try that before ordering any bits. I found out purely by accident as there is no mention of it in the handbook.

Martinr
Monday 6th June 2005, 09:36
With regards to the dog setting off the alarm.

Normally if you lock the car with the key not the remote fob the perimetrics should set but the ultrasonics won't. So access can be gained via the window if they don't mind losing part of their hands, (certainly the case with my dog :) ).

I am not sure if the Volvo alarm has perimetrics but this was certainly the case with all previous factory fitted alarms that I have had.

M44K TS
Monday 6th June 2005, 10:41
checked my petrol cap yesterday, it doesn't lock, looks like a fun weekend stripping the boot out to get to it then

Andrew
Monday 6th June 2005, 10:46
I thought mine had seized but then i tried it about 10 mins later and it had locked. Try that before ordering any bits. I found out purely by accident as there is no mention of it in the handbook.

I pulled over at the petrol station and locked the car - my fuel cap locked instantly.

Odd!

Dad Racer
Monday 6th June 2005, 13:06
Pzorb,

I have also suffered with a failing fuel flap lock - but it seemed to clear itself with time. I tried removing the small corner trim panel in the boot that gives you access to the 'manual' release handle - this seemed to work. Not sure if the wire handle was catching or not.

Wife also complained that the alarm would randomly go off - may have been linked. The volvo mechanics that I use reckoned that it was linked. The sticky flap lock was upsetting the whole system. I think that a replacement soleniod is around £65ish.

Not sure if this is much help - but your are not alone.

MattB
Monday 6th June 2005, 13:26
My fuel flap lock motor played up a few weeks ago. Sometimes it would lock - other times not. It seemed to remedy itself for a few weeks, but soon returned. I replaced the motor with a 'scrap-yard' part from an identical car. Job only took 1/2 hour or so - now the flap locks first time - and no problems since.

Hope this helps....

Vikingxl
Monday 6th June 2005, 13:41
With regards to the dog setting off the alarm.

Normally if you lock the car with the key not the remote fob the perimetrics should set but the ultrasonics won't. So access can be gained via the window if they don't mind losing part of their hands, (certainly the case with my dog :) ).

I am not sure if the Volvo alarm has perimetrics but this was certainly the case with all previous factory fitted alarms that I have had.

I tried this and it works.I dont leave the dogs alone very often but things like filling up with petrol are impossible with the dogs out of the car and this has been driving me mad.

While trying this out i also noticed that you can hear my fuel cap lock a few minutes after the rest of the car.

Thanks for the advice Martinr

pzorb
Monday 6th June 2005, 18:16
Ok I had a poke about the boot - OMG are those panels a pain to get off or what - unscrewed the solenoid and found that the problem was obvious - there was nothing connected to it! Nearby, a spare power molex was glued to the foam underside of the main panel... tore it off the foam and connected it to the solenoid and bingo we're in business! Now I have a locking fuel cap :B_blite: Begs the question: why was it diconnected in the first place? It's not like it worked itself off and was loose nearby, it was glued in place. Previous owner / volvo production mistake? Eitherway, if yours doesn't work do indeed have a look it may be as simple as that!

My alarm is still useless, however. I only seem to have one glass break sensor, whilst other people on this forum say they have little slots in the upper parts of the window frame; maybe I've just got the crap 'included in the price' alarm...?

Martin