PDA

View Full Version : R-Spec MBC?

Johnny5
Wednesday 9th September 2009, 22:15
Hey guys.... Any thoughts on these? Anyone got one? Easy to fit etc etc etc ????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220475946166&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

J5

BigV
Thursday 10th September 2009, 06:11
Hey guys.... Any thoughts on these? Anyone got one? Easy to fit etc etc etc ????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220475946166&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

J5

Loads of people run MBC's on the turbo engines. They are very simply to fit with basic tools (screwdriver, knife etc) and make a significant difference to performance.

Ideally you would want a boost gauge to set it up safely, although you can guesstimate with the standard fit gauge on the dash.... or just wind it out till you hit the boost cut and then wind it back in a bit.

You can probably buy an mbc for cheaper than that too... .... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Manual-Boost-Controller-for-all-Turbo-car-RED_W0QQitemZ180398163423QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2a009185df&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Rnash2002
Thursday 10th September 2009, 07:17
Ive got a r spec,will be going on my next volvo,no problems with them at all,used them all the time on rover turbos and stuff.

JelT5
Thursday 10th September 2009, 08:06
Yep, excellent mod for the money! Do it, you won't regret it :)

simpT5
Thursday 10th September 2009, 09:12
Mine is ME7, am I right in thinking I can't fit an MBC to mine?

If not, aside from a re-map, what choices do I have to up the boost a bit?

Al115
Thursday 10th September 2009, 09:53
None other than a remap, and checking that the wastegate is holding boost properly, TBH.

simpT5
Thursday 10th September 2009, 10:05
How do I check if the wastegate is holding boost properly? Sorry if this has been asked before!

Al115
Thursday 10th September 2009, 10:22
Search on the forum... you'll doubtless find the answer! :)

AlanG
Thursday 10th September 2009, 17:02

J5

Hi Johnny,I've got one on mine. Quick delivery and great service,think it was 2 days. Comes with vac pipe,instructions etc and very easy to fit. So easy infact,you could do it whilst eating a biscuit....:shifty: Had mine a good few months now and no problems. Good quality product...HTH.

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 10th September 2009, 18:52
Got one on mine, had no problems (except with the turbo refurb, but its not related), good service, I bought the wrong one, and they sent me out a new one same day.

you could do it whilst eating a biscuit....:shifty:
Hmm another Al and Dave tHrEaD hIjAcK?

Al115
Thursday 10th September 2009, 19:45
Alan yours is not an ME7 car if I am correct - it's got a throttle cable...

What works on yours, probably won't work on his.. :(

AlanG
Thursday 10th September 2009, 20:09
Alan yours is not an ME7 car if I am correct - it's got a throttle cable...

What works on yours, probably won't work on his.. :(

Johnny's car is an 850,going by his avatar Al.......

Al115
Thursday 10th September 2009, 23:39
Sorry you're right. I got confused by simpT5's subsequent post and assumed he was the OP. My mistake!

850s like them. Early Phase 1 V70s like them. Late Phase 1 V70s and everything since don't like them. Sorted :)

AlanG
Thursday 10th September 2009, 23:45
Sorry you're right. I got confused by simpT5's subsequent post and assumed he was the OP. My mistake!

850s like them. Early Phase 1 V70s like them. Late Phase 1 V70s and everything since don't like them. Sorted :)

Just in time........Was goin' outside to smash my own windscreen because noone was listening to me......:firedevil

p fandango
Friday 11th September 2009, 07:48
a few people with R-spec MBC's haven't been able to get the boost to go high enough, you can replace the internal spring with a stiffer one to fix it (think he said he used one from a pen lol)

badger1980
Friday 11th September 2009, 18:07
u could try one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TURBOSMART-MANUAL-BOOST-CONTROLLER-BOOST-TEE-IN-BLUE_W0QQitemZ110433192350QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item19b654c99e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

or this one but not sure of the quality of this though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330358805053&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Johnny5
Friday 11th September 2009, 21:14
Well guys, thanks for your replies, Ive ordered one from ebay! Waiting now for it to turn up and then i can get it fitted! (Buscuits n all)
I already have an aftermarket boost guage that goes to 2bar, so should be able to set it up quite easily! A question though, if i turn it all the way down will it stop the turbo boosting alltogether??? I.e make it the same as a normally aspirated engine? (Hope not cos i love the whole turbo thing!!!!!)

Johnny5
Friday 11th September 2009, 21:19
Johnny's car is an 850,going by his avatar Al.......

855 T5 1995 "M" reg GLE AUTO

AlanG
Friday 11th September 2009, 21:23
Well guys, thanks for your replies, Ive ordered one from ebay! Waiting now for it to turn up and then i can get it fitted! (Buscuits n all)
I already have an aftermarket boost guage that goes to 2bar, so should be able to set it up quite easily! A question though, if i turn it all the way down will it stop the turbo boosting alltogether??? I.e make it the same as a normally aspirated engine? (Hope not cos i love the whole turbo thing!!!!!)

R-Spec ones screw down to increase and anti-clockwise to decrease mate. When you plumb it in make sure it's backed right off then turn clockwise in 1/4 turn increments till you've got it the way you want it. To begin with it'll be less than it is at present........:smile:

Johnny5
Friday 11th September 2009, 21:28
R-Spec ones screw down to increase and anti-clockwise to decrease mate. When you plumb it in make sure it's backed right off then turn clockwise in 1/4 turn increments till you've got it the way you want it. To begin with it'll be less than it is at present........:smile:

Nice 1 alan, any idea what a standard ecu's boost limit is? My guage goes to 2bar, but i doubt very much it will reach that without a re-map (Hopefully TC is sorting that for me)

;) J5

AlanG
Friday 11th September 2009, 21:35
Not sure buddy........0.9bar maybe,but I'm guessing. Someone will be along with an accurate figure.......:smile:

badger1980
Friday 11th September 2009, 22:52
Did u go for the r-spec one ? or another from flea bay

p fandango
Saturday 12th September 2009, 06:41
13psi is considered to be safe on a standard ECU

Johnny5
Saturday 12th September 2009, 07:05
Did u go for the r-spec one ? or another from flea bay

Went for the R-Spec.... Should be delivered today! ;)

Rnash2002
Saturday 12th September 2009, 08:00
Went for the R-Spec.... Should be delivered today! ;)

Just make sure you set this in 4th or 5th gear if not the boost tends to ceep in high gears so you might hit the cut.

Johnny5
Saturday 12th September 2009, 18:08
Just make sure you set this in 4th or 5th gear if not the boost tends to ceep in high gears so you might hit the cut.

Its an auto so will have to do it above 60mph!

AlanG
Saturday 12th September 2009, 18:25
Did it turn up mate?

AlanG
Saturday 12th September 2009, 18:25
13psi is considered to be safe on a standard ECU

What's that in bar,Duane?

Rnash2002
Saturday 12th September 2009, 18:28
What's that in bar,Duane?

0.896317 lol

Johnny5
Saturday 12th September 2009, 18:35
Did it turn up mate?

NO GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Expect it monday am now

J5

AlanG
Saturday 12th September 2009, 18:40
0.896317 lol

Not a bad guess by me then........:funkybana

AlanG
Saturday 12th September 2009, 18:41
NO GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Expect it monday am now

J5

It'll be there mate,no sig req'd. Just pops through the letterbox in a jiffy bag...:wavey:

callyuk
Saturday 12th September 2009, 19:21
had mine up to spikes of 1.4bar with no remap using r-spec mbc and somehow never hit the fuel cut but iv now got it running at a steady 1 bar to be safe now

Johnny5
Saturday 12th September 2009, 20:51
It'll be there mate,no sig req'd. Just pops through the letterbox in a jiffy bag...:wavey:

Its going to my work address so i can be sure i get it!
And im going to go for no more than 1bar..... dont wanna put too much pressure on the ole gal! ;) hehehehehe

sen
Saturday 12th September 2009, 20:55
Let me no how you go on mate i may well purchase one of these mate

Johnny5
Saturday 12th September 2009, 20:56
Let me no how you go on mate i may well purchase one of these mate

No worries, will post up some pics of the fitting! ;)

sen
Saturday 12th September 2009, 20:59
Top man

BigV
Saturday 12th September 2009, 21:06
I have never been able to get any of my T5's to run more than 12psi with an MBC without hitting the overboost cutoff protection at SOME stage.

I currently have one fitted and yes, I can wind it up so it spikes at 16 PSI, the problem is it doesn't hold boost there. I assume the ECU pulls the timing or something because it will spike 16psi and tail off to 12psi and the car will feel as though it is holding back.... also when the MBC is wound out that far it WILL hit overboost on cold mornings or 3/4 throttle if you don't mash the throttle fast enough to make the autobox kickdown.

I have found setting it at 12psi gives a significant gain over stock and the car will hold 12psi without tailing off or hitting overboost........ and for some strange reason it actually feels faster in the mid to top range than setting it at 15 or 16psi.

The way it brings the boost in is so much more aggressive that pulling away from a standing start is much faster, but probably the mid to top end doesn't improve in the same way as you would get with a remap.

ps. I know overboost isn't the correct term but everyone knows what I mean.

Johnny5
Saturday 12th September 2009, 21:43
I have never been able to get any of my T5's to run more than 12psi with an MBC without hitting the overboost cutoff protection at SOME stage.

I currently have one fitted and yes, I can wind it up so it spikes at 16 PSI, the problem is it doesn't hold boost there. I assume the ECU pulls the timing or something because it will spike 16psi and tail off to 12psi and the car will feel as though it is holding back.... also when the MBC is wound out that far it WILL hit overboost on cold mornings or 3/4 throttle if you don't mash the throttle fast enough to make the autobox kickdown.

I have found setting it at 12psi gives a significant gain over stock and the car will hold 12psi without tailing off or hitting overboost........ and for some strange reason it actually feels faster in the mid to top range than setting it at 15 or 16psi.

The way it brings the boost in is so much more aggressive that pulling away from a standing start is much faster, but probably the mid to top end doesn't improve in the same way as you would get with a remap.

ps. I know overboost isn't the correct term but everyone knows what I mean.

Top post young sir! I will bear that in mind... tyvm

Johnny5
Monday 14th September 2009, 22:47
Well the Rspec MBC is fitted! WOWEE...... best £29 ive spent in ages ;)
Was going to do a full fitting update, but only had 30mins after work to fit it! So replaced the pipe from the actuator to the valve, fitted the pipe from the turbo housing to the other side of the valve, cable tied the whole thing in place and bob's ur uncle etc etc etc.... I am going to re-fit it properly when i get some time, making it into a dashboard/centre console mounted valve! so i can adjust it without having to stop and open the bonnet! I will post up full pics etc etc etc when i get to do it! But i must say it makes a HUGE difference to the performance, now peak boost at 1.3 - 1.4 bar and holding constant at 1bar!!!! God knows what it will be like in the wet because it breaks the wheels away very very easily now in the dry!!!!!!!!

AlanG
Tuesday 15th September 2009, 00:36
Was going to do a full fitting update, but only had 30mins after work to fit it! So replaced the pipe from the actuator to the valve, fitted the pipe from the turbo housing to the other side of the valve, cable tied the whole thing in place and bob's ur uncle etc etc etc.... I am going to re-fit it properly when i get some time, making it into a dashboard/centre console mounted valve! so i can adjust it without having to stop and open the bonnet! I will post up full pics etc etc etc when i get to do it! But i must say it makes a HUGE difference to the performance, now peak boost at 1.3 - 1.4 bar and holding constant at 1bar!!!! God knows what it will be like in the wet because it breaks the wheels away very very easily now in the dry!!!!!!!!

Told you so!!!:haha::band::banana:

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 15th September 2009, 10:40
LOL

Found my problem to be the old part I reused in the turbo, its wobbling all over the place. Gonna try and find a replacement today.

p fandango
Tuesday 15th September 2009, 14:21
i've yet to find anyone who hasn't been happy with an MBC, but don't dash fit it mate. Their not happy with long pipes & messes things up, keep the pipes as short as possible (just set it to max & keep smiling, no need to mess with it lol)